Dynadot

discuss 2nd best extension in 2022?

NameSilo
Watch

What is the 2nd best extension after .COM for 2022?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • .NET

votes
    16.4%
  • .ORG

votes
    12.5%
  • .CO

votes
    5.3%
  • .IO

votes
    23.0%
  • .XYZ

votes
    35.5%
  • Others?

votes
    7.2%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
What would be the 2nd best and popular extension after .COM in 2022, as per you?
Best as in, return wise, sale wise etc.?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
One of those questions that can't be answered without knowing what business the domain is for. Regardless, its a joint "NET and "ORG" for me. In reality, if I can't get a "NET" or an "ORG" of a word, then I'm looking at an "XYZ" etc

Last edited:
•••
There is no one size fits all. Certain terms fit better in certain extensions

In general, I would say NET/ORG then popular ccTLD.

Brad

•••
•••
. io

Most successful website of 2021:
Opensea.io

•••
Nice profile pic.. and prescient for this year!
2022 for part of my domain name investing strategy is how the metaverse plays out in areas such as robots, aerial robotics, machine learning, space exploration, X.R., V.R., A.R, M.R, A.I. (particularly in medicine), also crypto platforms. Very exciting and profitable fields.

Last edited:
•••
For general use .xyz, .co, .net, .io
For metaverse/nft/crypto/blockchain/ar/vr/xr .io, .co, .net, .xyz

Cheap registration/renewal cost of .xyz and many high value sales from 2021 would surely boost .xyz reputation even higher.

•••
co.uk all the way!
I agree. This extension has the potential.
What about .de? Do you see a scope there as well?

One of those questions that can't be answered without knowing what business the domain is for. Regardless, its a joint "NET and "ORG" for me. In reality, if I can't get a "NET" or an "ORG" of a word, then I'm looking at an "XYZ" etc
I hear you. This is in general, and I get your point!
XYZ forsure has potential. DNGear is a living example but also an exception probably.

There is no one size fits all. Certain terms fit better in certain extensions

In general, I would say NET/ORG then popular ccTLD.

Brad
Still believe in .NET? Any reason why you see potential in .NET?

•••
Still believe in .NET? Any reason why you see potential in .NET?
Well, they are still actually in use. As of the most recent Alexa rankings I have seen (about 6 months ago)...

In the top 1M Alexa websites .COM has over 50%. NET/ORG are over 4% each and no other gTLD is even close.

I think being in the domain world we sometimes kind of lose connection with the real world when it comes to domains. These legacy extensions are used far more than "trendy" extensions by normal end users.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the poll and starting the discussion, @abstractdomainer.

I asked the same question, looking at some measures to suggest an ordering, and conducted a poll. For some reason the attached poll no longer shows, but I polled essentially the same question at end of May as part of an article entitled After .COM What Comes Next? I had saved the poll results though, so here they are below.
AfterCOM.png

When comparing to the present poll, .xyz has moved up considerably, which is not surprising, as the .xyz sales and launch of companies on .xyz have had a strong 6 months.

@bmugford is right that at least as measured by Alexa1M sites (or Cisco Umbrella data), both .io and .xyz trail .net and .org in web use, although the difference is slightly shrinking. It is too bad we will no longer have updated Alexa1M to track such things.

Bob

•••
This poll is too suggestive because com is not top.

•••
This poll is too suggestive because com is not top.
The poll says the "best" not "top".

According to NameBio, .TOP had (23) total sales for $12,900 total dollars last year.

.TOP sales were 0.00088% of .COM sales in total dollars last year. There is a reason it was not an option on the list for 2nd "best" extension. (y)

Brad

•••
The poll says the "best" not "top".

According to NameBio, .TOP had (23) total sales for $12,900 total dollars last year.

.TOP sales were 0.00088% of .COM sales in total dollars last year. There is a reason it was not an option on the list for 2nd "best" extension. (y)

Brad

It says "best", yes ...

... but as you know, "best" is also a common synonym for "top" and literally (semantically) viewed, this circumstance is the criteria that matters in my argumentation here.

Therefore (registration numbers or) sales (and therefore NameBio)) are not relevant in this question - the point is that .com is presented here subliminally as "top" (by its sense) and this is what I have to correct.

We all know it - and you as well, com is not top.

Only top is top and this is not my fault✌️

•••
Thanks for the poll and starting the discussion, @abstractdomainer.

I asked the same question, looking at some measures to suggest an ordering, and conducted a poll. For some reason the attached poll no longer shows, but I polled essentially the same question at end of May as part of an article entitled After .COM What Comes Next? I had saved the poll results though, so here they are below.
Show attachment 208033
When comparing to the present poll, .xyz has moved up considerably, which is not surprising, as the .xyz sales and launch of companies on .xyz have had a strong 6 months.

@bmugford is right that at least as measured by Alexa1M sites (or Cisco Umbrella data), both .io and .xyz trail .net and .org in web use, although the difference is slightly shrinking. It is too bad we will no longer have updated Alexa1M to track such things.

Bob
Thanks, this is fantastic. I respect your insights, Bob! They are so amazing!
Also, NET and ORG have been around for years now, so I think there would be obvious difference and XYZ, IO may take some time to catch up.
What do you think?

Last edited:
•••
As my experience, co extension has the right for second position..

•••
.IO ..still prefer the traditional extension for the non techy and savvy audience.. non millennials sometimes consider the non traditional extension as bogus..dont want to take risk this trying times.

•••
I still say .IO, as I'm not getting all wired up about this current spike in XYZ sales, and am looking long-term.

•••
.org and .xyz I bet. I got a sale each this year.

•••
ccTLD

Last edited:
•••
what is the future of .in domains?

•••
dot Org
(definitely)

Last edited:
•••
xyz are trending but io still have way higher value, look at the sales!

•••
•••
•••
Back