IT.COM

discuss Afternic Domain Parking...Is it Really GoDaddy Parking? Is this Good?

NameSilo
Watch

LoveCatchyDomains

Daring to LiveTop Member
Impact
This week, I took the leap and placed a large group of domains under Afternic Parking, using the for sale "NS5,NS6" landers (no parking ads).
To my surprise, the lander has "GoDaddy" rather than Afternic is showing up on the landing page.
Is this good? My domains are being sold through Afternic, so it's puzzing why GoDaddy should appear? And, it raises questions, like their prohibition against listing domains in their auctions and for sale pages that are expiring within 90 days.
Any thoughts on this? in

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
And is it really true that there are no stats provided for Ns5/Ns6? Ad parking is required for that information to be provided?

•••
No stats, I forward few to afternic lander
Afternic.com/domain/ name goes after the /
Every name you have at afternic, that url is valid.
I find a lot including searching my own names
Ns5 ns6 wont resole. If a page doesnt resolve I always do NS check. This only happens with ns5/6

I see some top sellers put bin, but use ns3 ns4
Always learning

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions.
What confuses me is the "GoDaddy" being present at the top, rather than Afternic. Is this true for all the landers, even NS3/4.
Also, on the Domain parking page on Afternic, there appears to be theme selections allowed for the pages, along with choosing a title and a keyword. None of this showed up, though, after putting in the Ns5/6. Is this only available for Ns1/2, and NS3/4? And, if so, do you like using that feature?

•••
Godaddy owns afternic and they are in process of rebranding afternic to godaddy
Dont use sedo or afternic for parking
I did categorize the few names i am forwarding though. Pretty ancient that section. Still say Dan is the best, all that other will blow away, like adam dicker is a criminal or preached then breached

No stats from afternic, i get visits to parked pages in control panel but none are parked there

•••
Do try parking at afternic. Don't always listen to me. I just know from what real biggie pros have been saying for 10 years or more

•••
Thanks for the suggestions, and your helpful postings throughout the NamePro forum.

If Afternic gets integrated fully into GoDaddy, do you think that's a good thing?

Lately, I've been migrating away from GoDaddy. I had a recent, surprising discovery that, over the years, three domains of mine were sold through their brokerage service. The brokerage page, in fact, had listed 11 negotiations, but I had only been aware of one. And, for the three that sold, there was a button on their brokerage page to click to get paid--but it didn't work. When I asked Godaddy, they said that the transactions had been closed out. When and how, I still do not know.

Up until that time, I had appreciated their services, but had been concerned about some domains seeming to disappear unexpectedly. When I happened to see that these curious sales had occurred, my inclination was to move my domains elsewhere.

Afternic has been good so far. If, however, they are integrated fully into GoDaddy, there may be some hesitancy about continuing to use this service.

At heart, I really do like those Dan landers. I do wonder if Dan would get a lot more business, though, if they changed their main page to have more impressive fonts and graphics.

•••
Haven't been on here for quite some time. Took a more laid back approach some years back. So I contacted my GoDaddy rep and he suggested I put the names (about 250+ or so) I want to sell on Afternic. Just send him a spreadsheet with the names, prices, etc. I did. Followed all the instructions. Finally check on it after all this time and find that some of the names actually do resolve to an Afternic/GoDaddy landing page, just the way I want, while many others are still stuck on old parking pages from some other companies years ago.

I contacted Afternic and they said I'd have to go in to my GoDaddy account and change the nameservers for the ones that don't resolve correctly.

Seriously? Wasn't GoDaddy supposed to do this?

Well, yes, but since they didn't, you'll have to.

Wow.

•••
Hi

so, you leaped, before you looked and then get puzzled why godaddy appears

I took the leap and placed a large group of domains under Afternic Parking

My domains are being sold through Afternic, so it's puzzing why GoDaddy should appear?

Dont use sedo
Hi
why?

imo...

If Afternic gets integrated fully into GoDaddy, do you think that's a good thing?

Lately, I've been migrating away from GoDaddy.
Hi
perhaps learn the history of both, then you'll know the answer.

imo...

I do wonder if Dan would get a lot more business, though, if they changed their main page to have more impressive fonts and graphics.
Hi
more business than who...godaddy or sedo?

I contacted Afternic and they said I'd have to go in to my GoDaddy account and change the nameservers for the ones that don't resolve correctly.

Seriously? Wasn't GoDaddy supposed to do this?

Well, yes, but since they didn't, you'll have to.
Hi

No, gd is not supposed to change NS for you.
that is your responsibility

imo...

•••
Here's what Afternic replied:
"Either you or your account representative will need to point your domain nameservers to Afternic in order to have Afternic's parking lander page go live."

•••
Ok, you're right there to point that out. My enthusiasm for Afternic inspired me to take the leap quickly. And everytime I have put in landers in the past, e.g. Sedo or Dan, they always led to their namesake site.
Thanks for the gentle suggestion, that perhaps it is best to proceed a bit more carefully when trying some new service out.
Finally, let me say that, for me, other than the mystery brokerage negotiations and sales, overall GoDaddy has been a pretty decent registrar over the years. And they sure do know how to sell domains....so maybe the parking page title with their name is better? More potential customers would recognize that name rather Afternic.

•••
Here's what Afternic replied:
"Either you or your account representative will need to point your domain nameservers to Afternic in order to have Afternic's parking lander page go live.
Fortunately, in GoDaddy and other registrars, changing the NS in bulk is fairly easy. It's good to learn how to do it, to empower you to try different options. Feel free to PM me if you're still having difficulty doing it, and I'll try to help.

•••
Hi

Hi
why?

imo...

Hi
perhaps learn the history of both, then you'll know the answer.

imo...

Hi
more business than who...godaddy or sedo?

Hi

No, gd is not supposed to change NS for you.
that is your responsibility

imo...
@Paul why are the quotes biggie quoted not appearing? Not sure if thats normal
Not sure if normal is normal
Biggie, i will reply to your question tomorrow when i can find posts here to explain why and show examples people get 1000 clicks and make 1 penny at sedo. Also half page cookie/tos banner i/new visitors get when not cookied
You prob dont get it as your cookied due to regular visits.
Also sedo stats are unreliable dont care what anyone says on that topic.

•••
Also sedo stats are unreliable dont care what anyone says on that topic
For the one domain parked there recently, I noticed that traffic from Russia and China was no longer showing up. Before, this was a large component of the regular visits. Admittedly, I prefer at least seeing where the traffic is coming from, which is not available on the Afternic Parking. Out of curiousity, I may try a few more domains at Sedo Parking now, and see if the traffic pattern has significantly changed.

•••
Biggie, i will reply to your question tomorrow when i can find posts here to explain why and show examples people get 1000 clicks and make 1 penny at sedo.
Hi

when you get those examples, be sure to post the actual domain names too.

imo...

•••
Of course quality matters. Your a pro at parking, i remember you flashing your numbers in the chat room on days gone by.
Their is optimization to show relevant ads.
How important is that? Good name, irrelevant ads.
Posts people share here dont show their names and I have not used sedo for years, so i doubt i could provide enough info to make good enough point. I just visited sedo and got the full page cookie warning. Made up example i would not want to park name coffeeandmuffinatmacdonalds.xyz and have a page appear with sedo.com in address bar and the following page. We can spot whats real or fake, but normal people would react different. How many more clicks could you have if people type in your 3L .org and not see the below page. We have no idea how many do. I cant replicate by viewing names in your sig, even incognito. As i got cookie warning when trying to login
Others welcome to share stats and experiences but include all the names.lol

ACE4E29D-299F-472B-B1E1-731128D77F78.jpeg

•••
Of course quality matters.

Hi
yes, the quality of the domain, always matters.

imo...

so i doubt i could provide enough info to make good enough point.

Hi

it's not right, to throw rocks and not have valid reason for the ambush.

some might give your post weight in decision making, if/when assuming or "taking it for granted", that you know what you're talking about.

just saying....

on the cookie issue at sedo,
i haven't seen any dips in unique visitors for those names that get regular traffic.
and some of those were moved from other platforms.

imo...

Last edited:
•••
For the Godaddy/Afternic Ns5/6 Parked domains, I noticed two issues.

1) There is a uniform terms of agreement, approximately 30 pages, that needs to be signed prior to the final sale.
2) There is a transfer fee. This shows up even before determining whether the buyer has a GoDaddy account to which the domain can be pushed. So perhaps it is applicable to all. It's only $8.49, but one additional hurdle to completing the sale.
Is this the case with any other marketplaces?

•••
I must have been wrong in believing the things i have read on namepros and elsewhere. Actually there is nowhere else. My stats from sedo. https://sedo.com/member/parking_tools/overview.php?language=us

Last 12 months57500.00 USD0.00 %0.00 USD0.00 USD

Traffic origin by region (Last 12 months)​

United States 71.3 %Canada (en) 8.87 %China 4.52 %Great Britain 3.13 %Sweden 2.78 %France 2.26 %Russia 2.26 %Netherlands 0.7 %Germany 0.7 %Other 3.48 %

•••
What layout are you using for your 150?. Do you optimize each name's keywords?
I moved 6 over to those 4 nameservers, take a look when i get back

•••
What layout are you using for your 150?. Do you optimize each name's keywords?
I moved 6 over to those 4 nameservers, take a look when i get back
Right now, only 3 domains are parked at Sedo. I've been using the Salescrush lander option for the two, and auto for one.
And, incidentally, the Afternic ns5/6 trial is basically a response to parking trials about 3 months each with Sedo (1small sale), then Dan (0sales). Afternic has been the best, even without the landers, with two decent sales in 5 months. Giving their landers a trial seems reasonable.

•••
I must have been wrong in believing the things i have read on namepros and elsewhere. Actually there is nowhere else. My stats from sedo. https://sedo.com/member/parking_tools/overview.php?language=us

Last 12 months57500.00 USD0.00 %0.00 USD0.00 USD

Traffic origin by region (Last 12 months)​

United States 71.3 %Canada (en) 8.87 %China 4.52 %Great Britain 3.13 %Sweden 2.78 %France 2.26 %Russia 2.26 %Netherlands 0.7 %Germany 0.7 %Other 3.48 %
Hi

here's a low traffic name for last 12 months at sedo
wellcareinsurance.com 89 visitors 28 clicks 33.35 USD
60% USA 29% China 4% Canada

it all depends on the actual names in question.

imo...

•••
Thats good. I noticed on mobile sedo parking landers show no ssl. Once i type it in https:// wellcareinsurance dot com then it shows a lock. Laptop ssl shows immediately.
Were kind of bouncing from sales landers to parking landers.
I dont mind forwarding my names to internal at sedo or afternic or dan.
Parking part I am out, never interested me never will
Godaddy on lander is way to go imo, only you dont get that yet on afternic.com/domain/
2CFEE8D9-EA45-47C6-A5FB-83C08078F218.png
No ssl

Last edited:
•••
Parking part I am out, never interested me never will
Godaddy on lander is way to go imo
Hi

my last sale was on afternic, however the nameservers had been pointed to sedo for years.
and that has happened more than once.
so, sometimes depending on actual domain, it may not matter which NS is used, if the marketplace for that platform has lots of activity and that name is listed there, as well.

but the point of ppc,
is that the wellcare name earned 3 times it's renewal cost in 12 months.
while a name sitting on a lander, which doesn't sell in 12 months, earns $0.

imo...

•••
here's a low traffic name for last 12 months at sedo
wellcareinsurance.com 89 visitors 28 clicks 33.35 USD
If that's one of your "low traffic" names, I'm curious what some of your "high traffic" domains are and how well they have done?

•••
Back