Dynadot

All Registered "Discord" Domains - Feb. 2022

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Croc

Upgraded Member
Impact
I recently discovered ICANN's public CZDS zone files and got approved for access to the .com, .net, and .org ones this week.
I immediately downloaded them and started analyzing the lists and looking for all kinds of patterns. I think I am going to make it a weekly series here.

For the first entry in the series, I have filtered the .com/net/org lists for every "Discord" domain I could find that meets the following criteria:
  • Contains the word "discord"
  • The SLD part of the domain is 15 characters or less

My discoveries this week led to the following results:
  • 2,046 domains with the .com extension
  • 175 domains with the .net extension
  • 129 domains with the .org extension

Attachments

• com-filtered-discord.txt
    34.3 KB · Views: 197
  • net-filtered-discord.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 140
  • org-filtered-discord.txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 134
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hello
Why register such names, is Discord not trademarked?

•••
Hello
Why register such names, is Discord not trademarked?

I didn't register these names. I filtered the raw zone file from today to see the total number of Discord domains that are currently registered on the entire internet.

Last edited:
•••
I didn't register these names. I filtered the raw zone file from today to see the total number of Discord domains that are currently registered on the entire internet.
Oh i have understand it wrong.
But why someone would register domains with Discord word?
Thanks.

•••
Oh i have understand it wrong.
But why someone would register domains with Discord word?
Thanks.

So basically Discord, Slack, and Telegram are the modern version of tradition forums like this site. It is the platform of choice for thousands of new communities from just a couple hundred members to those with hundreds of thousands of members now. They aren't just for gaming communities either, there are communities for every niche you can think of.

As long as you are trying mis-represent Discord, Slack, Telegram, etc and/or say it is affiliated with the company, you are basically in the clear to use one of these terms in your brand name.

Like for instance, one of the .com domains in that list is ZootopiaDiscord.com
It appears to be (based on the website) a Discord server for fans of Disney's movie called Zootopia.

A name like that wouldn't be a trademark issue. Discord could care less about that name because they would never come out with a product called that.

•••
So basically Discord, Slack, and Telegram are the modern version of tradition forums like this site. It is the platform of choice for thousands of new communities from just a couple hundred members to those with hundreds of thousands of members now. They aren't just for gaming communities either, there are communities for every niche you can think of.

As long as you are trying mis-represent Discord, Slack, Telegram, etc and/or say it is affiliated with the company, you are basically in the clear to use one of these terms in your brand name.

Like for instance, one of the .com domains in that list is ZootopiaDiscord.com
It appears to be (based on the website) a Discord server for fans of Disney's movie called Zootopia.

A name like that wouldn't be a trademark issue. Discord could care less about that name because they would never come out with a product called that.
Thank you for kind explanation, I m sure it will be useful for all of us.

•••
Back