IT.COM

security Attackers don't bother brute-forcing long passwords, Microsoft engineer says

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Future Sensors

78% of human domainers will be replaced by robotsTop Member
Impact
Attackers don't bother brute-forcing long passwords, Microsoft engineer says

According to data collected by Microsoft’s network of honeypot servers, most brute-force attackers primarily attempt to guess short passwords, with very few attacks targeting credentials that are either long or contain complex characters.

“I analysed the credentials entered from over >25 million brute force attacks against SSH. This is around 30 days of data in Microsoft’s sensor network,” said Ross Bevington, a security researcher at Microsoft.

Read more:

https://therecord.media/attackers-dont-bother-brute-forcing-long-passwords-microsoft-engineer-says/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is why we are migrating a lot of my husbands business accounts to Apple their default gibberish password is a hackers nightmare. Thank God you can save it. Ha

•••
This is why we are migrating a lot of my husbands business accounts to Apple their default gibberish password is a hackers nightmare. Thank God you can save it. Ha
The article describes the behavior of brute-force attackers; especially the password length they are trying to guess. Although the research was done on (SSH) honeypot servers at Microsoft, it is not a comparison between Microsoft or Apple services, or the quality of their default passwords.

•••
Back