Dynadot

status-done Auction BIDS Should Have "XX Hours" Since Posted

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

dncafe

I Buy WebsitesTop Member
Impact
Since nearly all auctions are formatted like: "Bidding Ends 72 Hours After Last BID" it would make sense to add a "Posted 23 Hours Ago" type of footer below each reply in the auction thread.

It would only be a few lines of simple code to accomplish this in XenForo

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That would be extremely helpful on auction threads. No more getting a calendar out and counting how many days it's been since the last bid for every domain under auction.

•••
How about a timer instead?

•••
What would a timer look like? Every domain would be reset with each new bid? I don't see the difference between a timer and a countdown. 1 says how long has passed since a bid, the other says how long is left? I personally would like to know how long is left. So my vote would be for a timer :) Can you differentiate between an actual bid and somebody mentioning a domain. Why not go the whole hog? We just sit back and wait for you to tell us who won the auction :)

•••
I don't see the difference between a timer and a countdown.
In this context, they're the same.

What would a timer look like? Every domain would be reset with each new bid?
It'd reset similar to how an auction extends if it receives a bid in the final minutes.

Can you differentiate between an actual bid and somebody mentioning a domain. Why not go the whole hog? We just sit back and wait for you to tell us who won the auction
It's been mentioned before that NamePros has built a custom marketplace and auction platform twice before, but they were never released. It seems reasonable to expect that some of that technology will make its way into this new website. Fingers crossed. :)

•••
How about a timer instead?

The timer seems too complex for NP to add, as it's been years since I have first requested a basic "Posted XX Hours Ago" and it still hasn't been added.

Aside from that, I can see a lot of issues with it.

Like if a newer account puts in a BID, but the seller doesn't want any bidders from account with less than 2 feedback ratings etc., then you have to have a mod come in and reset it.

A footer "Posted 23 Hours Ago" under every reply in the thread makes everything easier...this is a very easy thing to add.......not sure what's taking so long.

Last edited:
•••
it's been years since I have first requested a basic "Posted XX Hours Ago" and it still hasn't been added
It would have been time wasted because everything had to be rewritten for the new forum software. It also would have delayed the readiness of the new forum software, and it most likely wouldn’t have been included in the initial upgrade since only the highest priority features were.

The timer seems too complex for NP to add
If you knew anything about the technology behind NamePros, you would realize that your statement is sadly misinformed.

A footer "Posted 23 Hours Ago" under every reply in the thread makes everything easier...this is a very easy thing to add
It could be added quite easily now. Most things fall into that category, so they’re being prioritized based on feedback.

This one hasn’t received much attention compared to others, but it’ll likely be added at some point.

Sooner if demand for it increases.

•••
Like if a newer account puts in a BID, but the seller doesn't want any bidders from account with less than 2 feedback ratings etc., then you have to have a mod come in and reset it.
That is a good point.

It might be better if sellers can invalidate bids, and then anyone can report it to us if a seller misuses that capability.

Thoughts?

•••
It's been years and years and years that people have been asking for this and still nothing.

This is littrally a few lines of code to accomplish this.

•••
Update:

Coming soon.

Expected: Before February 2022.

•••
Update:

Coming soon.

Expected: Before February 2022.

I'm worried NP is going to release a whole new marketplace area that is over engineered and bloated with way too many features that ends up pushing people away rather than attracting new buyers and sellers.

Would be nice to keep it simple and add a basic "XX Hours Since Posted" on all replies in the auctions section.

•••
I'm worried NP is going to release a whole new marketplace area that is over engineered and bloated with way too many features that ends up pushing people away rather than attracting new buyers and sellers.

Would be nice to keep it simple and add a basic "XX Hours Since Posted" on all replies in the auctions section.

I don't think "XX Hours Since Posted" is really the best metric for auctions. Shouldn't it be "the number of days, hours, minutes, left to run on the auction based upon the current winning bid"? It saves us doing any mental arithmetic, at all.

Last edited:
•••
I don't think "XX Hours Since Posted" is really the best metric for auctions. Shouldn't it be "the number of days, hours, minutes, left to run on the auction based upon the current winning bid"?

My idea was to just have a simple footer on all replies within an auction thread that stated the number of hours (with days added too if needed) since the post was posted. That way you could easily reference a post and see how long ago it was posted and determine who the winner was.

I think if they tried to program an actual timer for the whole post/auction it would be too complex and have too many fail points and have usability issues.

•••
OK. I just thought it would have been a better indicator of how much time there was left on an auction. But I do understand your worries that it might be too complex to program. Has anybody responded from NP's side about that? I do think the attitude of saying "wait and see what you are going to get" is a cop out. It sounds like they don't want to discuss what is coming. Which actually goes against the grain of asking for suggestions. IMHO.

•••
Hello,

Press the clock icon next to date/times to check it out, such as on this post.

Any additional suggestions for it?

•••
Hello,

Press the clock icon next to date/times to check it out, such as on this post.

Any additional suggestions for it?

I don't really understand how this helps, it just shows the date and time it was posted, like it has in the past. You still have to calculate an exact number of hourse - eg. 48 hours

•••
You still have to calculate an exact number of hourse - eg. 48 hours
It calculates this for us.

There may be a bug; could you send a screenshot?

•••
It calculates this for us.

There may be a bug; could you send a screenshot?

It just says "2 days ago", rather than a number of hours ago.

I don't understand the purpose of the tabs with "24 Hours After"

namepros-time.png

•••
I don't understand the purpose of the tabs with "24 Hours After"
The tabs allow you to choose how much time after the date/time it was posted. If the auction ends 72 hours after the last bid, then select the “72 hours after” tab. Then you could, for example, set an alarm or calendar entry around that date and time.

We hope that helps.

•••
I think it's all too confusing and not intuitive and don't see many people using it or even knowing it is a feature.

I still think a simple footer under every auction post should display "Posted XX Hours Ago"

This could be done in a few lines of code, to only display this footer in the Auctions category.

•••
•••
I think it's all too confusing and not intuitive and don't see many people using it or even knowing it is a feature.

I still think a simple footer under every auction post should display "Posted XX Hours Ago"

This could be done in a few lines of code, to only display this footer in the Auctions category.

What happens when there are bids? Surely it's better to know how much time there is left, than to know how long a thread is running. Or am I missing something?

•••
What happens when there are bids? Surely it's better to know how much time there is left, than to know how long a thread is running. Or am I missing something?
Every single post/reply would have the "Posted XX Hours Ago" footer, so you would just look at the last post/bid to see how long ago it was posted

•••
Every single post/reply would have the "Posted XX Hours Ago" footer, so you would just look at the last post/bid to see how long ago it was posted

Please remind me why that is relevant?

•••
Please remind me why that is relevant?

The "XX Hours Ago" is under each reply in an auction thread. Since most auctions are formatted like: Highest Bid After 72 Hours wins, you can easily look at the last post/bid and see that it was posted 65 hours ago and know there's still time left to bid.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back