IT.COM

Caution: NameSilo parking will open you to legal issues

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mark4domain

Established Member
Impact
Caution: Namesilo parking (if you register domain by Namesilo), points to their nameservers ns1.dnsowl.com ns2.dnsowl.com.
Sometime recently, they have made a change where they are showing Related ads on all parked domains.
As the owner, we can't turn them off. So if you want to use them for DNS, they will show related parked ads on your domain.

Why it matters: Let's say if a company wants that domain, they have a higher chance of claiming you were misusing it by showing ads (if the keyword ads matches theirs and can be very broad). Most domainers who are selling domains for low thousands doesn't impact with this, but for the ones selling for 5 figures and up, this matters.

On a side note, what a bad practice from namesilo.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Why use their name servers instead of doing a parked ad free sales page elsewhere ? Any parking service has risk involved. NameSilo is no different than any other parking page imo.

•••
DAN has a toggle that can turn ads off or on.

•••
Exactly. I notice the unsolicited ad issues couple of months back, so I've changed all domains nameservers to point to my marketplace. Generally speaking, I don't believe in sending traffic to marketplaces and then pay them commission. I list my domains on many platforms, so to earn the commission, the platform must make efforts to bring in buyers - not me sending leads to them via landing pages. I negotiate with buyers, use escrow or import leads to DAN and Sedo for lowest possible commission. I can live with that.

•••
Why use their name servers instead of doing a parked ad free sales page elsewhere ? Any parking service has risk involved. NameSilo is no different than any other parking page imo.
There is a distinction with Dan/Bodis and Sedo allowing more control over the ads.
Bodis allows customizing the related terms, although you have to ask for that to be turned on. Sedo has a manual choice on their ad listings.
As a hypothetical example, if have a baby-related domain name, but wanted to try to avoid a trademark related to baby food, you could manually input related terms with no association with food. That may not be foolproof, but could help.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back