Dynadot

Discuss your Epik Experience!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

dande

Premium DomainsTop Member
Impact
I think Epik is building the best ever Domain Lander in the history of domaining, and it really needs to be talked about extensively. That's why I am creating this discussion thread. A lot of thought process really goes into the project. And I can see (for the first time) a landing page that is built from the stand point of domainers rather than for just the marketplace itself.

Everything you have ever dreamt of getting or seeing in a professional landing page can be found in the new Epik marketplace landing page design.

Some of my Favorites Features:

1. The ability to optimize your "domain for sale" landing page to actually rank on Google, displaying your sales pitch/domain description. I just did that with few of my generic domain names such as ASAP.TV, targeting certain keywords, and they are showing pretty well on Google. That's a huge plus in my marketing effort.

2. Being able to change background image is another huge one for me. If you are good with pictures and images, you will surely find this very useful. I did that with Nagasaki.org and the result was truly amazing, showing the city of Nagasaki right at the background.

There are too many positive features and I don't want to mention all of them, all alone :xf.grin::xf.grin:

So I am leaving you guys to share and discuss what you loves most or dislike about the new Epik marketplace and the landing pages.

The only negative for me is the checkout process. There are too many terms and conditions buttons to tick before checking out. It will be nice if they can streamline those into one beautiful big button :xf.cool:

They also need to place the checkout button directly under the payment options. Right now it is awkwardly place somewhere below at the sidebar, which I don't find cool at all.

Sales experience is also welcomed in this discussion. I haven't had any sells so far at Epik because I started using the marketplace just recently, but the future is looking so bright.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nice! Do keep us posted.

OK. First blood goes to SAV. They picked up both domains expiring today. 4 domains still outstanding on this test.

•••
OK. First blood goes to SAV. They picked up both domains expiring today. 4 domains still outstanding on this test.

Doesn't surprise me since they added a lot of registrars for dropcatching as of late. Most important, you got 2 of the domains you were after, congrats :)

•••
Doesn't surprise me since they added a lot of registrars for dropcatching as of late. Most important, you got 2 of the domains you were after, congrats :)

Do you have any idea of the number of servers both Epik & SAV use for dropcatching?

•••
Do you have any idea of the number of servers both Epik & SAV use for dropcatching?
Epik only uses its single own accreditation for dropcatching. Once or twice I beat them with my own API based catching-scripts (using multiple registrars). Though that was the exception

•••
Epik only uses its single own accreditation for dropcatching. Once or twice I beat them with my own API based catching-scripts (using multiple registrars). Though that was the exception

OK. Then clearly my pick-up domains at Epik were all caught from that single server, which probably explains also why they didn't catch everything I've backordered. So far it's 2 out of 2 at SAV in this experiment, 4 out of 4 in total, and my thinking at this point, it will be 6 out of 6 by the time this little experiment is over. You have to take into perspective, that I expect these all to be dropped and not picked up. But the faster they are picked up makes the result more certain against interlopers :) I'll keep posting the results daily for the next 3 days. It has been a good start.

•••

Like mentioned, Epik uses one although they might partner with other registrars for dropcatching. Would not be a noteworthy number.

Sav has 50 registrars for dropcatching.

•••
Does SAV charge a premium for drop-catching, or is it more or less reg fee like Epik?

•••
•••
One for EPIK capture today. Which surprised me. Beating out SAV's 50 servers. 3 more to go.

•••
@DirkS - The results are in. There were actually 7 domains in total. not 6. These last three dropped today. 2 were picked up by dropcatch, and 1 was picked up by Epik. None from SAV. So that's not quite so different as I thought. 2 for Epik, 3 for SAV, 2 for DropCatch. I would expect that if I hadn't ordered at Epik, then the likelihood is SAV would have caught them. Seeing as they wouldn't have been ordered by anyone else. So I think I'm going to be switching my drop catching to SAV. But it's a worry that their 50 dropcatch servers cannot beat out Epik's sole dropcatching server all the time. I've also yet to see how smoothly SAV handle the transfers out. Unlike Epik's mess. I think I have to watch to see how SAV handle their auctions also. 10 days is an eon in time. Although I'm not expecting any auctions. But if there are auctions, I think I would prefer Epik's only one winner, the first bidder, policy. We'll just have to see how it goes from here.

Are their any other good, cheap dropcatchers worth trying?

•••
@DirkS - The results are in. There were actually 7 domains in total. not 6. These last three dropped today. 2 were picked up by dropcatch, and 1 was picked up by Epik. None from SAV. So that's not quite so different as I thought. 2 for Epik, 3 for SAV, 2 for DropCatch. I would expect that if I hadn't ordered at Epik, then the likelihood is SAV would have caught them. Seeing as they wouldn't have been ordered by anyone else. So I think I'm going to be switching my drop catching to SAV. But it's a worry that their 50 dropcatch servers cannot beat out Epik's sole dropcatching server all the time. I've also yet to see how smoothly SAV handle the transfers out. Unlike Epik's mess. I think I have to watch to see how SAV handle their auctions also. 10 days is an eon in time. Although I'm not expecting any auctions. But if there are auctions, I think I would prefer Epik's only one winner, the first bidder, policy. We'll just have to see how it goes from here.

Are their any other good, cheap dropcatchers worth trying?

Thank you for the update. Sounds like Epik is doing surprisingly ok given the number of registrars (that we know of) they catch with. Thanks for sharing your data with us!

I agree that a 10 day auction is quite annoying, and I'm not sure if they are public or closed to people who backordered. I'm not a fan of sav but they have their use for certain things.

As for others, Dynadot has decent pricing with different tiers of priority but it's quite more expensive than those who just charge reg fee (like Epik, sav).

I think most would agree if you want to catch names with likely competition you're sentenced to use dropcatch or the likes. Domains with reasonably little or no competition and when you really want the domain? I think Dyna is a solid alternative albeit somewhat more expensive.

I have had some solid results catching domains with catched.com as well, albeit non .com but they beat some of my Dynadot backorders for what it's worth. They're not too expensive but I have no idea how they will perform on .com domains. Speaking of non .com domains, don't use Epik if you're after those. You can beat them by hand.

•••
sold a name via Epik, for the first time
decided to try it out - crypto and all.. $7k

they secured the payment in usd on 11.08
i requested BTC withdrawal on 11.11
its still in a pending status as of today 11.15

contacted them twice via chat
the withdrawal is being "reviewed"
"it takes 48 hours to execute"
then the issue "is escalated to the accounting team"

not happy with my first sale at all
close to be disappointed

@Rob Monster anything i might be missing

•••
sold a name via Epik, for the first time
decided to try it out - crypto and all.. $7k

they secured the payment in usd on 11.08
i requested BTC withdrawal on 11.11
its still in a pending status as of today 11.15

contacted them twice via chat
the withdrawal is being "reviewed"
"it takes 48 hours to execute"
then the issue "is escalated to the accounting team"

not happy with my first sale at all
close to be disappointed

@Rob Monster anything i might be missing

we're looking for additional information from the buyer before processing your withdrawal

8 days after the name was delivered to the buyer
can someone from Epik comment on this please

•••
we're looking for additional information from the buyer before processing your withdrawal

@Jess Robison is the best Customer Service person over there by a long way...

•••

Hello @4pm - thank you for reaching out.

I would be happy to look into this matter for you.

Can you please send me a DM with your name, email on file, and account pin # so I can look further into this for you.

Thank you.

•••

..still "Pending"
zero communication from Epik
"legendary support" is silent, busy and deaf
no one cares except me, understandably

@Rob Monster would hopefully like to comment too

•••
..still "Pending"
zero communication from Epik
"legendary support" is silent, busy and deaf
no one cares except me, understandably

@Rob Monster would hopefully like to comment too

thanks to @Rob Monster

the issue is resolved and closed now
i do hope next time i wont need to post here and ask for his personal intervention
yes, safety and checks are important. so is good timely communication and smooth escrow flow.
thanks, Rob

•••
thanks to @Rob Monster

the issue is resolved and closed now
i do hope next time i wont need to post here and ask for his personal intervention
yes, safety and checks are important. so is good timely communication and smooth escrow flow.
thanks, Rob

I think our diligence was appropriate.

We don't normally require KYC from a buyer but in this case the combination of facts warranted this action. In the end, the seller did not cooperate with our verification request but we were sufficiently confident that the buyer is real and waived that requirement. However, the combination of facts related to this case made it entirely appropriate to review carefully before redeeming 100% of proceeds to crypto for the sale of an illiquid domain bought with a credit card by a person who was unwilling to complete ID verification.

As for posting in this thread, it is not really any more effective than a DM. While I am less active on NP lately, I do watch DMs. The act of posting a private a support escalation in this thread just brings more facts to light that we would normally prefer to keep private about a given transaction.

Congrats on your sale. I think you did great. :)

•••
NO for Epic's backorder service!

Last edited:
•••
Just a quick question for @epik :

When a domain registered at Epik reaches its expiry date, within a day or so the nameservers are changed to the default Epik nameservers and a for sale/make offer/contact page is displayed. Exactly who does any enquiry go to (Epik, the domain owner, or both) and who makes the decision about how much and if to accept?

(I do understand the expiry process at Epik. I just want to know if making contact alerts the domain owner and perhaps prompts them to renew it.)

Thanks.

•••
NO for Epic's backorder service!

Epik's Backorder services correctly works for all newGTLD, what about .com .net .org - remeber one thing: NetSol, Dynadot, Dropcatch have ~1000 registrars for easy backorder only .com .net .org domains. I strongly recommends you use Epik for backorder newGTLD.

When a domain registered at Epik reaches its expiry date, within a day or so the nameservers are changed to the default Epik nameservers and a for sale/make offer/contact page is displayed. Exactly who does any enquiry go to (Epik, the domain owner, or both) and who makes the decision about how much and if to accept?

(I do understand the expiry process at Epik. I just want to know if making contact alerts the domain owner and perhaps prompts them to renew it.)

Thanks.

As I remember - to customer. For the entire period of domain registration - the domain is yours until it is deleted from registry.

Last edited:
•••

Thanks.
You can test it. Whois contact changes after expiry, and enquiries go there (not to you). The registrar can make a deal with a 3rd party, but can't move it out of your account/control until the grace period ends. After grace period they can do anything, it is like they are actual full owner, ..for a few days, I think, max 15 days, until redemption. You can probably replace Epik with any other registrar in this story,..but restoration costs etc may vary.

•••
@Rob Monster
hello
Could I decide what domain sell in Epik Marketplace portal ?
Do not show all of your portfolio.

For example, I have many adult domains and would prefer them not to be shown with the portfolio (yet being available for sale independently), is that going to be possible with Epik?
I hope I can choose the best domains on the homepage instead of the whole portfolio.

thanks

Last edited:
•••
We go to marketplace.epik.com , search our domain listed there, it is not there, because by default mls is chosen. So we have to switch to epik marketplace, as if we were somewhere else. And what we typed is erased, we need to type it again.. ok, our listing is there, and we can check whether we made the domain 100 times cheaper by forgetting to type cents by accident... Endusers won't do it... they would assume, by default everything is searched.

Last edited:
•••
@Rob Monster
hello
Could I decide what domain sell in Epik Marketplace portal ?
Do not show all of your portfolio.

For example, I have many adult domains and would prefer them not to be shown with the portfolio (yet being available for sale independently), is that going to be possible with Epik?
I hope I can choose the best domains on the homepage instead of the whole portfolio.

thanks
Hello gt88hel!

When adding your domains to the Epik Marketplace, you're given the option to also add them on your Marketplace Portal. See Step 3. here: https://www.epik.com/support/how-to-add-domains-for-sale-on-epik-marketplace/

So you can selectively add domains to the Marketplace Portal when adding them to the Epik Marketplace.

We go to marketplace.epik.com , search our domain listed there, it is not there, because by default mls is chosen. So we have to switch to epik marketplace, as if we were somewhere else. And what we typed is erased, we need to type it again.. ok, our listing is there, and we can check whether we made the domain 100 times cheaper by forgetting to type cents by accident... Endusers won't do it... they would assume, by default everything is searched.
Hello topdom!

I have just tried to replicate your report, and I was able to. I do believe this is unintended, so I'll escalate this to our tech team to double-check and switch to the global search function on the main marketplace page.

Thank you!

•••
Back