Dynadot

discuss Domain Sales Data Breakdown inc Retail v Wholesale

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LeanneMac

Established Member
Impact
Just a heads up in case you haven't seen it yet on Twitter, I've launched a domain sales data breakdown website where I go through the previous days sales and analyse them to try and spot patterns or reasons for sale. There are tables, graphs, charts and as of last week I even separate out the retail and wholesale sales so we can see what's happening in each market.

A few key points from the last week:
  • .com accounted for 84.3% of all wholesale sales
  • 70.8% retail sales were two word SLDs
  • Oldest domain was 31 years old
If you'd like to take a look there are new posts daily at Crunch.id.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No surprise about "COM" power. I'll take a look at your stuff today

•••
No surprise about "COM" power. I'll take a look at your stuff today
Retail seems to be a little more diverse (I've only been separating for a week, so not a huge amount of data) but on the wholesale side it really dominates.

•••
A really interesting point here is retail is more willing to buy across a variety of extensions depending on their needs. Honestly unless you can stomach a huge inventory it's food for thought if your mostly looking to avoid wholesale.

•••
Hi

since venue does not dictate buyer or buyers' intent,
and the closing sales price can't be the metric, if you have wholesale sales that are higher than retail.
then....
how can you determine difference in a retail sale and wholesale?

there are names tagged as wholesale, which are now developed
and names tagged as retail, with parking pages or 404.

the sales data is cool, but i wouldn't carve retail/wholesale pricing differences in stone.

imo...

•••
the sales data is cool, but i wouldn't carve retail/wholesale pricing differences in stone.
This is exactly it. This data assumes sales from Park.io, Sav.com, Register.TO, GoDaddy, NameJet, DropCatch, Dynadot, SnapNames, Whois.ai, Catched.com, Docky.ly and NamesCon are wholesale and all others are retail. This isn't always the case but more often than not it's domain investors spending time on these platforms. In the same vein, there's no reason a domain investor couldn't buy from BuyDomains or Swetha, it's just more unlikely.

•••
A really interesting point here is retail is more willing to buy across a variety of extensions depending on their needs. Honestly unless you can stomach a huge inventory it's food for thought if your mostly looking to avoid wholesale.
I'm working on compiling a report on all of March and that's the first month I've picked out retail/wholesale so it'll be really interesting to see the extension range over 31 days.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back