Dynadot

marketplace Domain Sales Section : Fixed/Make Offer

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello Namepros Staff,

I wanted to bring up a possible solution to what I can see is a major problem with the domain "for sale" section on the forum. The main problem that I see for now is the sales section has turned into a boneyard of endless bumps on domains that are not going to sell if it's been bumped 50 times. I view these sections all the time and have noticed I spend less and less time on the forum because it's always the same threads. At what point does it become counterintuitive to allow bumps on old threads?

Now that's the problem that I am seeing. Let me try to explain what I feel would be a good solution. Lets say you start a thread and once you have reached say 30 days with no other comments from other members it gets placed in a new area ie "archive" of sorts. The only way to avoid this would be to have another member comment or bid/buy one or many of your domains. It would be my hope that this would stop the clogging up of sales threads with endless bumps that bury the real gems that are posted. I just feel like members are missing out on deals they never see as most buyers don't go past page 1 or 2 I would imagine.

So it's my hope that some outside of the box thinking and changes could revitalize the sales area because as it stands it's simply pointless to post a sale thread when it will be buried in a few hours with threads that are going on for months/years of bumping.

Feedback is appreciated and I hope I explained this clearly...been a very long day!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
We’ve brought this topic to discussion, many many times and always, fascinating to discuss.

I will: @
@Bravo Mod Team
@Alfa Mod Team
@Echo Mod Team &
@Paul

If it was up to me, i’d cap it to “10 pages” unless you update to Gold, you get 20, and if you add “Platinum option” ($10 month) to give them endless bumps, at least give right to “endless bumps” but it is sooooo annoying.
I’ve always thought myself as “laissez-faire” until face-to-face with endless “UP” forever. —Against rules to say anything. in their thread. So, thank God, you pulled it up here.

Pray,they dont keep their heads buried in sand

Last edited:
•••
I think if no interest in 30 days the domain(s) ought to be closed automatically. Although I know this is "sensible" it won't fly with the mods. Maybe the top tier (most expensive) forums could be 2 months. You should be happy if other domainers don't look past 2 pages. I at least go to 8 pages. 99+% of the time there is nothing to see. I'm against payed-for upgrades too, in general. But I am persuadable. They need to make sense though :)

Last edited:
•••
Well there's a couple members working around this in an attempt to keep their listings fresh. Basically closing the thread after a day of bump n' grind, and creating a new one right away on the same name(s).

The method seems to keep their listing always on the first page so never loses positioning and doesn't have endless bumps within the thread.

But while seemingly "fresh", it still buries other genuine listings whom aren't keen on mindless repetition for positioning.

Either way, bump or re-list I agree it looks silly and crowded but in the end that's their perogative and our choice to look/track or not. Sometimes we have to dig for the good stuff.

•••
•••
Hello,

There are two features we plan to introduce that we believe will solve these issues:
  • A bump button so that bumps will not be posts that clog up listings.
  • An option to hide threads.

Will those be sufficient?

•••
Can you elaborate on these features? How will they work? Please let me know a bit more about these features. It's hard to say based off what you have said thus far. Also, please take this as a thank you for looking into these issues...it's not an easy fix but I appreciate your efforts.

•••
I agree with @Blake. A bump button which doesn't show in the listings sounds like an excellent idea provided the rule is the same for everybody, ie Nobody has more bumps than anyone else. I've no idea what you mean by hiding threads. How will that work. We need more information what this option does.

I saw a post the other day where from memory the poster, who was a new account of only a few days, had something like 30-50 pages of bumps. When I reported it to the mods, they justified it as no problem, the excess bumps would not have bumped the thread. Thereby condoning the action. I think the mod missed the point of my report. I don't want to look thru 50 pages of bumps to find out there have been no offers. The offender should have been reprimanded, IMHO. Otherwise how do they learn.

•••
The bump button should only show for the original poster when a bump is allowed.

Last edited:
•••
We’ll be happy to elaborate if you could provide us with some guidance on what’s unclear about those descriptions.

Sure thing!

• A bump button so that bumps will not be posts that clog up listings
- How does that work? Does it only bump for them or what is the difference? How does this help not clog up listings?
  • An option to hide threads.
- Again, as stated how does this work? Hide what threads? Hide Old threads? Let me know

At any rate any change is and would be an improvement!

•••
I've no idea what you mean by hiding threads. How will that work. We need more information what this option does.
how does this work? Hide what threads? Hide Old threads?
You'd be able to hide any thread that you wanted. When you see a listing that does not interest you, you can simply hide it, and you'll never see it again, even if it is bumped.

Edit: More details.

The bump button should only show for the original poster when a bump is allowed.
How does that work? Does it only bump for them or what is the difference? How does this help not clog up listings?
Bumps using the bump button would move the listing to the first page without a post. The button would be temporarily disabled when they run out of bumps. There would be no posts allowed in the thread for the sole purpose of bumping.

We hope that helps.

Last edited:
•••

And so. Any manual bump by a poster should be a rule violation. Maybe the first violation could be met with a warning. But after having received a warning, any more bumps should result in restricted access to post in the forsale forums for 2 weeks. Any further violations after that, not necessarily with the same thread, would prevent them from starting threads for 3 months. Any more violations would cause a permanent ban from posting in the forsale forums.

•••
You'd be able to hide any thread that you wanted. When you see a listing that does not interest you, you can simply hide it, and you'll never see it again, even if it is bumped.

Bumps using the bump button would move the listing to the first page without a post. There would be no posts allowed in the thread for the sole purpose of bumping.

We hope that helps.

Both of these are good ideas. You should be able to reverse that process of hiding, though.

Last edited:
•••
Both of these are good ideas. You should be able to reverse that process of hiding, though.
Right, it would be like the Mute/Unmute feature that we already have in our direct messages.

•••
Last edited:
•••
I really like these ideas as you have explained them much better this time. I'm behind you on this matter would love to trim out some threads that I keep seeing etc.

•••
•••
•••
•••
I think one of the biggest problems with this is that there's not a good way to filter or browse domain names based on a set criteria.

NP is basically a message board with a rating system.

Click on the "Domains For Sale" and you have to browse through TWOWORD.co, LLLL.com, SOMETHINGNFT.io, TRENDINGTOPIC.xyz etc. you have to sort through a lot of garbage to find anything decent.

I've heard mods here in the past say that users should start using TAGS to post .COM or .IO when posting their names, but this won't be very reliable.

The only way to prevent having to wade through all this garbage week after week would be a good way to sort through it.

If you look around, NP is the only domain "marketplace" that doesn't have an actual search function with a set criteria.

Last edited:
•••
I think @xdomainer suggestion in the main thread was a good one for filtering, for sale threads. But I'm like @dncafe. We could do this by filtering also. But. I think each tld or group of tlds (say .com, tlds, cctlds, ngtlds) should not all be jumbled up into one forum, like now. But should be posted in the specific forum for each tld, with .com having it's own forum. IMHO.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
@Bravo Mod Team

Checking in on the progress of these suggestions. Been about 3 more months since I last checked.

•••
@Bravo Mod Team

Let me bring this thread up again and see if we can get some sort of date for expected completion??

•••
Back