IT.COM

showcase Emoji Thread - Discuss and Show

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

HotKey

Made in CanadaTop Member
Impact
I am not satisfied with the threads we have been using to showcase and/or discuss our emoji domains, so I am creating this one as the official go-to. The popular previous threads:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/emoji-could-soon-take-over-domain-names-cnet.980832/
https://www.namepros.com/threads/whatever-happened-to-emoji-domains.1112459/

are either questioning the validity or pitting emojis against all. Which is counter-intuitive for serious showcase or discussion posts. So, lets get a fresh start and a thread going for those of us whom are investing on the emoji of domains.

What do we know about emojis domains right now?

They may not be registered under any gTLD, which is governed by ICANN, which in turn adheres to the IDNA2008 protocol which disallows emojis in a domain name.
• However, you will find some emojis still active under the .com or .net extension. These domains are grandfathered, meaning current domains may be renewed, but no new registrations are allowed.
• Fortunately, ccTLDs are not governed by ICANN, which means there are a few country code extensions which participate in emoji domains.
• The new blockchain extensions, .zil and .crypto, initially allowed emojis. But due to the fact that emojis aren't recognized in crypto wallets for payments, registrations for emojis have been discontinued.

With that basic info, we can use this thread to expand our knowledge about emoji domains; what we've seen, what we have and where it's going. Please use this thread to share your passion for emoji domains! Plus, any new discoveries on which extensions allow emoji domains would be appreciated.

In fact, this week alone, by following a thread here on NP for unrelated info, a user posted an emoji domain they registered in an extension I had no idea allowed them! That extension is .gg. Other popular extensions for emojis are .ws and .to.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Was doing an audit of my little used registrar accounts and found a couple I had tucked away:

😮.ws

💅.ws

Still use the spouting whale on a biz card I take to conventions - with nothing but it, no phone, nothing - it's works great in that environment. When they look confused - tell them to grab their iphone/mobile (where emoji domains shine) and boom...they dont forget your name or how to contact you.

With so many new business and businesses getting more heaving online - this may be an interesting time to get them back in the conversation. They could be a great marketing tool in this crazy environment.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
•••
I have an interesting one that isn't one for a platform

Emojys.com :xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
𓆌.com​

Last edited:
•••
They could be a great marketing tool in this crazy environment.

Any thoughts?
Exactly it, as a marketing tool. Like eye-candy or something I guess. Could even incorporate them into attractive link sources, like QR codes. Those are pretty ugly to begin with, but properly customized with an emoji set into the middle of the code, the code is still scan-able but easier on the eyes. Of course, you don;t need emojis, it could be anything like your business logo set into it.
Just brainstorming. :)

•••
in the .ug extension:

🐛.ug

bug. In a quirky hacky sort of way.

₿.ug

bug again. With the bitcoin symbol. Except there's really no bitcoin emoji.. and now I can't remember how I came up with this.

Fun with emojis, yes?

Did you know it is possible to register/buy emoji TLD's? Done through Handshake.. haven't picked up any myself, but another cool concept.

•••
I think I may have answered this question in another thread, but for those who don’t know I own a few one character emoji domain names..
😀.ws
😃.ws
😏.ws
🚾.ws
🔤.ws
🆔.ws
⚜️.ws
Some of these I’ve paid money for, others were able to be obtained for reg fee.,
Why do I like emoji domains?
Well they’re pictures & could be a very powerful branding aid to help assist in conveying a visual message..

I also own numerous Egyptian Hieroglyph domains, since this thread is emoji based, I won’t go into these..

Regards
Erwin

•••
•••
•••
Found this article today.

I bought 300 emoji domain names from Kazakhstan and built an email service

March 11th 2021

TLDR; I bought 300 emoji domain names from Kazakhstan and built an emoji email address service. In the process I went viral on TikTok, made $1000 in a week, hired a Japanese voice actor, and learnt about the weird world of emoji domains [...]

Read more here, https://tinyprojects.dev/projects/mailoji

•••
Found this article today.

I bought 300 emoji domain names from Kazakhstan and built an email service

March 11th 2021

TLDR; I bought 300 emoji domain names from Kazakhstan and built an emoji email address service. In the process I went viral on TikTok, made $1000 in a week, hired a Japanese voice actor, and learnt about the weird world of emoji domains [...]

Read more here, https://tinyprojects.dev/projects/mailoji
Wild, never knew .kz offered emoji compatibility. And email to boot. I remember a few years ago successfully setup email for one of mine using .ws.. just to see if it could be done.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back