IT.COM

Epik.com Seizes Domain, Threatens to Transfer

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Boutique Ink

Established Member
Impact
I previously transferred all of my domains to Epik.com because of @Rob Monster’s principled defense of free speech. But now, I’m questioning the wisdom of that decision.

An unnamed “complainant” claims to own one of my domains, and Epik.com is implicitly threatening to transfer the domain to them. (The complainant doesn’t own the domain; I do.)

Isn’t this a dispute for ICANN or the courts to resolve but not Epik.com?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In my experience Epik would act reasonably in such a case.

•••
Epik.com will probably not do anything without a legitimate cause.

•••
I m not happy with Epik.com I can't transfer out my domains in 1 day. Waiting for 6-7 day like Netsol.

•••
•••
@Boutique Ink - any update on this?

Epik has locked my domain for eleven days now. They haven’t been as forthcoming with information or reassurances as I would like.

I’ve begun the long process of moving my domains away from them. It looks like this has to be done one at a time. (Is there a faster way?)

Last edited:
•••
So as it can be seen from your other thread, there is a UDRP filed against your domain. Every registrar is obliged to lock the domain in such situation.

•••
So as it can be seen from your other thread, there is a UDRP filed against your domain. Every registrar is obliged to lock the domain in such situation.

People jump to conclusion about Registrars in public without stating context.

•••

Epik locked the domain without a UDRP complaint. They said their internal review could take up to three weeks.

Last edited:
•••
That initial comment from OP about moving to Epik due to their reputation for 'Free Speech' gets you concerned about the type of domain that may have caused the lock in the first place. I agree with many of the comments that there is more to this than being a simple case of Epik over-reach. I'm not going to speculate on these scenarios. Wonder if the OP wants to update us or perhaps paint a clearer picture of his understanding of the complaint from Epiks/Complainants point of view.

Last edited:
•••
Epik.com has locked my domain for eleven days now, @pinkdragon. They haven’t been as forthcoming with information or reassurances as I would like.

I’ve begun the long process of moving my domains away from them. It looks like this has to be done one at a time. (Is there a faster way?)
Once the transfer has been initiated and accepted at the new registrar you can go into your Epik account and "accept" the transfer which will make it almost instant. Go to you transfers tab and then outgoing. Last time I moved some domains out it took 15 mins from start to finish.

•••
from what i read, it seems you have a dispute between yourself and your developer (web developer)?

•••
from what i read, it seems you have a dispute between yourself and your developer (web developer)?

I’m trying to understand why Epik would adjudicate the claims of a third-party “complainant” against a registrant. The content hosted on the domain is entirely prosaic.

Last edited:
•••
They didn't adjudicate anything. They simply put the domain on transfer hold because the complainant made a preliminary case that the domain was stolen. They then referred the complainant to UDRP to actually adjudicate it. Give the guy his domain.

Epik isn't the one who is acting unethically or immorally here.

You are upset because you wanted to bounce the name around to different registrars just to spite this person and be difficult. I get it, when friendships go bad over business, they go REALLY bad.

I like seeing that a registrar actually takes some action to at least lock things in place so they can be investigated. I don't want a registrar that is going to look the other way if they have possession of a stolen domain and allow that person to transfer it out.

•••
That initial comment from OP about moving to Epik due to their reputation for 'Free Speech' gets you concerned about the type of domain that may have caused the lock in the first place. I agree with many of the comments that there is more to this than being a simple case of Epik over-reach. I'm not going to speculate on these scenarios. Wonder if the OP wants to update us or perhaps paint a clearer picture of his understanding of the complaint from Epiks/Complainants point of view.

Epik refuses to identify the “complainant,” and they’ve provided very little information about their claims.

•••
You keep talking around the issue trying to make it seem like it is just some random bad luck for you. You know exactly who it is, and even Epik referred to you as the "web developer" in the dispute.

You came here with half a story looking to get sympathy or shady advice, because you think "domainers" behave that way. As a general rule, we do not. An unfortunately common perception.

Based on all the information you have dribbled out, this domain does not belong to you. Just give it to them and move on. If you feel they owe you money for services provided, get your documentation together and go to small claims court.

As a general business rule, any domains I acquire for a client, I make them create a registrar account and I push the names into it once I've set the nameservers if needed. I never want my client's names in my account and to have that responsibility. In my opinion, the only reason people would keep a client name is to have leverage later = bad/shady business.

•••
Once the transfer has been initiated and accepted at the new registrar you can go into your Epik account and "accept" the transfer which will make it almost instant. Go to you transfers tab and then outgoing. Last time I moved some domains out it took 15 mins from start to finish.

On Epik’s dashboard, it appears I can only request domain transfer authorization codes one at a time. Is there a bulk option?

•••
Not that I know of sorry.
On Epik’s dashboard, it appears I can only request domain transfer authorization codes one at a time. Is there a bulk option?

•••
I need a premium registrar for my best domains. (Cost isn’t the primary concern.) I’m looking for a company with a strong respect for due process and personal property rights.

Could someone suggest an appropriate service provider? It’s not Epik.

I would recommend Dynadot.

Edit: To be more clear, I had various issues with most registrars and have accounts with like all the big ones. Never had any single issue with Dynadot which holds most of my names today. And there are many NP'ers here that would agree to the above.

Last edited:
•••
I would recommend Dynadot.

Edit: To be more clear, I had various issues with most registrars and have accounts with like all the big ones. Never had any single issue with Dynadot which holds most of my names today. And there are many NP'ers here that would agree to the above.
unfortunately, i cannot echo your message. i have had problems with dynadot and it was not pleasant dealing with them

•••
unfortunately, i cannot echo your message. i have had problems with dynadot and it was not pleasant dealing with them
Yes it's possible. A certain number of users will anyway have issues with any particular registrar.

Just sharing my experience.

•••
•••

What kinds of issues did you experience with @Dynadot? I was considering using them.

Last edited:
•••
You keep talking around the issue trying to make it seem like it is just some random bad luck for you. You know exactly who it is, and even Epik referred to you as the "web developer" in the dispute.

You came here with half a story looking to get sympathy or shady advice, because you think "domainers" behave that way. As a general rule, we do not. An unfortunately common perception.

Based on all the information you have dribbled out, this domain does not belong to you. Just give it to them and move on. If you feel they owe you money for services provided, get your documentation together and go to small claims court.

As a general business rule, any domains I acquire for a client, I make them create a registrar account and I push the names into it once I've set the nameservers if needed. I never want my client's names in my account and to have that responsibility. In my opinion, the only reason people would keep a client name is to have leverage later = bad/shady business.

Unfortunately, your facts are wrong. You’re not close to the situation, nor am I asking for a second opinion of my choices.

I know what’s right and wrong; I need help managing Epik.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Unfortunately, your facts are wrong. You’re not very close to the situation, nor am I asking for a second opinion on my choices.

I know what’s right and wrong; I need help managing Epik.
This isn’t the place to “manage” Epik. Maybe you need to manage your own behavior better.

You start an incendiary threat with zero facts or proof, you talk in riddles, blaming things on Epik because you kept a domain you bought for a client. This is not the place especially when you refuse to provide any facts.

Take it up with Epik and take care of your UDRP.

Last edited:
•••
Back