Dynadot

discuss FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

TopBrandsForSale

NameFinest.comUpgraded Member
Impact
Hi everyone!

Recently I participated in an auction and I've been outbid last second for a few bucks.

It was for a 22 years old domain: "IAmThe..... .com"

I was already above my initial limit and I let it go.

The fact is that this domain was something really unique. Something you may want also for yourself.

Not a 500k domain going bargain, but something more valuable in terms of the unique concept behind it.

The fact is that the name itself has a trademark on it for a t-shirt business.

Now I'm not sure I've done the right thing, but I was mainly scared to invest too much in this because of the trademark issue.

Please share your thoughts.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The site I/ A/M T/H/E (COM) is very...err...interesting

Don't let it be "I am the walrus"

Last edited:
•••
The site I/ A/M T/H/E (COM) is very...err...interesting

Don't let it be "I am the walrus"
ahahaha no definitely not this one :D

•••
It's done. Don't dwell on it. Move on to find the next gem... IMO

•••
•••
I was already above my initial limit and I let it go.

The fact is that this domain was something really unique. Something you may want also for yourself.

Not a 500k domain going bargain, but something more valuable in terms of the unique concept behind it.

You did good. It's easy to get caught up in a bidding war when you are somewhat 'emotionally' attached to a name.

It wouldn't be a bad purchase per se, if you'd be the enduser. As an investment, it's wise to set a clear limit to what you want to spend. You win some, you loose some.

•••
Must not have truly loved it, otherwise you wouldn't have let it go. Just my 2 cents.

•••
I am the guy...
I am the girl...
I am the man...
I am the dude...
I am the king...

•••
Must not have truly loved it, otherwise you wouldn't have let it go. Just my 2 cents.

The main problem was with the trademark thing. I was afraid I could run into issues later and lose my investment, otherwise, I would go further with my bid because I REALLY liked it!

Last edited:
•••
Having the ability to walk away when the deal is not right is an underrated trait in business.

Brad

•••
Having the ability to walk away when the deal is not right is an underrated trait in business.

Brad
Thanks Brad!

You are right. Business shouldn't be handled with emotions IMHO.

It's pure strategy and cold logical conclusions.

But sometimes we still have an hearth :D

•••
Nice name - I can´t see that there is a trademark on the name, there did you see that?

Last edited:
•••
If there is any form of trademark, steer clear. You dodged a bullet. Its hard not to dwell on the ones we miss out on. but let it go. Buy yourself something nice (shopping for domains always makes me feel better!).

•••
If there is any form of trademark, steer clear. You dodged a bullet. Its hard not to dwell on the ones we miss out on. but let it go. Buy yourself something nice (shopping for domains always makes me feel better!).
LoL I do love shopping for domains! It's one if my favorites activities now 😅

•••
Can't imagine what the missing part might be, because in any case it would be an ordinary domain with 4 words.
maybe unless it is:
jamesbond
superman
spiderman
heman
batman
wolfman
robinhood
jfkjr
reincarnated someone
real someone
already 5 words then.
or MESSIAH
or more:
messenger
savior
potus
ninja
dracula
traitor
best
winner
loser
spy
owner

Last edited:
•••
I think you did great by letting it go, it's a TM after all

•••
Holding an undeveloped domain for a trademark could be bad. Though you could possibly throw up a wordpress page with a focus on anything other than T-shirts and you might be alright considering the generic term. Maybe an Alice Cooper tribute page?

Also, Creation Date: 2000-03-06T23:44:27Z -- there's a dead trademark from 1998 but the two I see for that exact match are 2004 and 2015. I don't know if UDRP cases show the domain changing hands but someone registered the .com before the live trademarks at least.

If you genuinely wanted it to build on it, you could probably get a trademark for it yourself in a different category.

Though I'm not a trademark attorney, I have just spent time looking at forums like this and reddit to learn more.

•••
Back