GigiHadid.com expires and sells at GoDaddy Auctions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Gigi Hadid is one of the most popular models in the world today. She has over 2.1 million Twitter followers and over 18 million Instagram followers. I would argue that Ms. Hadid's most valuable piece of online space, GigiHadid.com expired and closed at $708 on Go Daddy today. There were 44 bids and 9 bidders going back and forth. The domain was registered in 2012 after dropping two times … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
She grew up rich. Graduated from Malibu High School

images

•••
can someone please explain this to me how people can bid on an obvious TM infringement as I'm assuming Gigi Hadid's name is a brand onto itself that doesn't not even need to be trademarked (I think)?

in any case. how can this be possible? and who are these people trying to buy this domain? 44 bids? are we to assume these are all stupid people who do not understand the concept of URDP? or TM?

or can we assume that some of them are professional Domainers? and that bidding on such a domain is a "good investment"?

reason I'm asking is because well I've made some obvious TM problematic domain registrations lately that I have not been getting a warm reception from NP peoples. with good reason. and I agree with them for the most part.

but then.......we come across stories like this one with GigiHadid.com being fought over tooth and nail in the bids.

can someone explain the difference?between say someone bidding and eventually owning GigiHadid.com and say registering and owning say Oogle.com or even OogleVR.com?

or flat out CaitlynJenner.com?

or KanyeWestForPresident.com?

or JebBush.com?

or even DaydreamVR.com?

some clarification from thee NP experts would be nice and always appreciated. thanks.

•••
We live in a star crazed world, people around the world are infatuated with all kinds of celebrities. They are both big business and big interest. In domaining some delve into these domains and others stay far away.

Its like flipping a coin, heads you win and make a sale, tails you lose and its a UDRP.

Fusible wrote about a story today about iconic Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder. A complaint (WIPO Case Number: D2012-0035) was filed this week with the World Intellectual Property Organization over the domain name.

Now Ron Jackson included a nice story in his weekly sales report at DN Journal:

In a private transaction, Matt Field sold OliverStone.com for $6,000 and yes, the buyer was the famous movie director. Matt said he also received a signed script from the upcoming movie Savages from the celebrity buyer. One day, that could be worth more than the 6K he got for the domain.

Rest of the story here

•••
You can go 'fan site" plus $700<UDRP cost. Plus it's a big world, a lot of people dont live in the same country as Gigi (less fearful), nor play by the 'rules'.

But on this forum it's best to talk, instruct and practice proper domaining.

•••
nissan.com <---it all depends on what you are going to do with the domain name and who you are

•••
So now...I'm wondering...

Whats stopping someone from registering something like (just as an example) Donaldtrump.com and then take loads of pictures of your dog or a friends dog and post it on the site and say that the dogs name is DonaldTrump and this site is dedicated to him. Then don't even mention the domain is for sale or anything of the sort..but have contact details to make it easy for someone to contact you and make you an offer.

Whats stopping someone from doing that?

•••
•••

Whats stopping someone from registering something like (just as an example) Donaldtrump.com and then take loads of pictures of your dog or a friends dog and post it on the site and say that the dogs name is DonaldTrump and this site is dedicated to him. Then don't even mention the domain is for sale or anything of the sort..but have contact details to make it easy for someone to contact you and make you an offer.

but how will this DonaldTrump.com "dog" website lol pay for itself? are you saying the owner will sit on it and pay yearly renewals and hosting fees out of pocket? or will you have to have ads? that's where you will have problems as most likely if donald trump is advertising ppc on Google he's ads will show up on your adsense blocks on your dog website. That's where you will be in danger I think? I'm askin.

•••

Depends on a lot of things, like I said it truly is all over the place. Certain arbitrators are going to go with the celebrity no matter what, the name doesn't have to be for sale, etc... Some celebs show that they have built up a common law trademark in their name, or they will make an offer. Oliver Stone paid $6,000 and gave a signed copy of his latest script. You just don't know, the celeb can go the other route and skip the UDRP and go straight to court where most domainers or fans cannot afford to defend the name. If the name makes you no money and the celebrity won't buy it, how does it make sense to spend money to defend the domain name ?

There is no set rule you can stick to, you can't say look at OliverStone.com he paid money, or if you don't monetize it you are guaranteed to keep. There is nothing 100%.

•••
but how will this DonaldTrump.com "dog" website lol pay for itself? are you saying the owner will sit on it and pay yearly renewals and hosting fees out of pocket? or will you have to have ads? that's where you will have problems as most likely if donald trump is advertising ppc on Google he's ads will show up on your adsense blocks on your dog website. That's where you will be in danger I think? I'm askin.

Lol.. basically what I'm saying is that someone can register a domain... in a celebrities name... obviously the more popular the better...then claim that the name is also ur dogs name and thats why u bought the domain...have pics of the dog on the site and some blah blah blah about the dog.... then don't monetize the site at all.. just make it easy for u to be contacted... so that the celebrity in question can contact you or their manager / agent or maybe their official fan group ... BUT now when they contact you, you can claim that the site/domain has sentimental value cos of ur dog...so it would be hard for u to part with.... :) leaving them open to offer u a stupid amount of money. :) lol... it's no a guarantee that it will work... BUT assume u have 10 of these sites...thats $100 in reg fees and $100 in annual renewals... now lets say u sell 1 of these domains for $10 000 ... makes for a good return on investment, even if it takes u a few years. :)

Now now, before some people get their panties in a bunch.....I am NOT saying I am going to do something like this... I was merely asking whats stopping people from doing that.

•••
Depends on a lot of things, like I said it truly is all over the place. Certain arbitrators are going to go with the celebrity no matter what, the name doesn't have to be for sale, etc... Some celebs show that they have built up a common law trademark in their name, or they will make an offer. Oliver Stone paid $6,000 and gave a signed copy of his latest script. You just don't know, the celeb can go the other route and skip the UDRP and go straight to court where most domainers or fans cannot afford to defend the name. If the name makes you no money and the celebrity won't buy it, how does it make sense to spend money to defend the domain name ?

There is no set rule you can stick to, you can't say look at OliverStone.com he paid money, or if you don't monetize it you are guaranteed to keep. There is nothing 100%.

Yeah I guess you are spot on. I mean essentially we cant classify all celebs in the same category. They will each have their own view points on how to handle it, like you said some will just lodge a UDRP or some will make you an offer...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back