Dynadot

news GoDaddy to acquire domain sales platform dan.com!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This makes little sense media options had a deal with dan ,so they either are made whole or rosner is looking for an exit too,the last dmain sherpa was very gloomy as far as deals and the sherpas optimism was negative ,usually they as taking about bs high price sales of crappy domains ,maybe this industry comes down to 3 major players sort of like a verizon fios ,spectrum dish

I doubt Dan signed an agreement that carried an obligation to keep using Media Options. I assume the agreement had a clause that both parties can terminate the arrangement with fair notice (probably a month or two).

•••
FWIW I'm switching my landers until there is more clarity on this.

I have genuine concerns about fees and continuity of payment plans.

plz do not spread bogus concerns. all plans are lawful and must be filled. if u are into worrying then worry if gd will continue to offer new plans. as per their auctions now and the domaining dinos they are they clearly have no concept.of.what a payment plan is. even dyna jumped train lately. 500 years too late but still

•••
•••
Not happy in the least. Domaining is shrinking and that isnt good for any industry no matter what they try to tell us.

•••
plz do not spread bogus concerns. all plans are lawful and must be filled. if u are into worrying then worry if gd will continue to offer new plans. as per their auctions now and the domaining dinos they are they clearly have no concept.of.what a payment plan is. even dyna jumped train lately. 500 years too late but still

I am not sure it is a bogus concern. Even if GoDaddy does intend to honor these, which they are likely required to legally, there are logistical issues.

For instance some of these contracts might involve a country GoDaddy does not do business with either by choice or under US law.

Some countries the EU can do business with might not be the same for US companies either by law, sanctions, or simply choice.

There are also potential logistical issues if the banks change as well as other potential issues as well.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I am not sure it is a bogus concern. Even if GoDaddy does intend to honor these, which they are likely required to legally, there are logistical issues.

For instance some of these contracts might involve a country GoDaddy does not do business with either by choice or under US law.

Some countries the EU can do business with might not be the same for US companies either by law, sanctions, or simply choice.

There are also potential logistical issues if the banks change as well as other potential issues as well.

Brad
GoDaddy has had a limited company in the Netherlands, where Dan resides, for many years. I am not sure what its purpose has been so far, but maybe it will take over the assets of Undeveloped B.V.?

https://gb.kompass.com/c/go-daddy-netherlands-b-v/nl909278/

•••
GoDaddy has had a limited company in the Netherlands, where Dan resides, for many years. I am not sure what its purpose has been so far, but maybe it will take over the assets of Undeveloped B.V.?

https://gb.kompass.com/c/go-daddy-netherlands-b-v/nl909278/
Of course GoDaddy could come out and make a statement on this to clarify...

For a US publicly traded company, it is probably a little more complex than just using a foreign shell company to do business with countries they might not be allowed to under US law or sanctions.

Brad

Last edited:
•••

Brad

all of this will be 100 times easier for gd than the chaos breaking plans would make

•••
•••
How do you guys feel about Squadhelp?

•••
The good thing is they will expose the names to more potential customers from godaddy and afternic.
The things we are concerned are commission %, customer support respond time and payment.

•••
The things we are concerned are commission %, customer support respond time and payment.
Yep. Things WILL change. It's only a matter of time.

•••
Perhaps a small word of reassurance is needed.

After the acquisition of Afternic by GoDaddy in 2013, the Afternic website has remained virtually unchanged.

•••
Wondering .... what is the easiest way to migrate 1000s of frontrunners/fake dn owners from GDAN to ANGD?

Regards

Last edited:
•••
Perhaps a small word of reassurance is needed.

After the acquisition of Afternic by GoDaddy in 2013, the Afternic website has remained virtually unchanged.

https://domainnamewire.com/2013/09/19/godaddy-acquires-afternic-from-namemedia/

The acquisition will mean domain sellers pay lower commissions, too. Afternic’s commission is 20%, which is lower than the 30% GoDaddy charges for Premium Listings. Irving said it’s not the company’s intention to change commission rates from the current 20%.

That is from the Afternic purchase. The lack of clarity on the Dan.com purchase, especially with commissions likely tells you everything you need to know.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Dan transfer bot seems to be not worked now!!
Payments seems to be not that fast !!

My last sale was up to 24 hours domain transfered and payments not sent !!!

•••
Godaddy's objective is to make as much as money as possible.

I've wondered for some time if Dan.com is highly leveraged.

Last edited:
•••
Sold a name this morning. Received payment 5 minutes ago.

•••
I have (2) pending payment plans.

Legally I think GoDaddy would have to honor these. When you buy a company you are acquiring assets, debts, and pre-existing contracts.
Another aspect of this: it may be possible that current and future Lease-to-Own domains in DAN's Dutch registrar holding account will be transferred to a holding account at GoDaddy in due course. This can have legal implications (cf. the Brent Oxley case discussed on this forum).

•••
Dan transfer bot seems to be not worked now!!
Payments seems to be not that fast !!

My last sale was up to 24 hours domain transfered and payments not sent !!!

24 hours isn't that long. If the domain is transferred, drop them a message to speed it up.

They do seem to be slacking at times though. Just received a payment from a sale 6 days ago whereas usually it's processed and received in less than 24 hours. Another sale I made today was payed within a couple of hours.

It also depends on the day of the week. Close a sale during the weekend, expect a little wait in my experience.

•••
Another aspect of this: it may be possible that current and future Lease-to-Own domains in DAN's Dutch registrar holding account will be transferred to a holding account at GoDaddy in due course.
Ugh. Good point.

•••
DAN online chat support & customer service are million times better than the cheap labourers support of godaddy .

•••
So GoDaddy is now their daddy. And obviously the majority are not seeing a shiny morning with DAN being another adopted son of daddy. Neither I.

One positive take of this acquisition is that it would probably lead to more visibility for domains, But that won't be of much weight if we have in the other pan scale a terrible support, Limited payout options, Higher fees .etc

Simply, The qualities that made DAN unique will no longer be on effect.

Good for Daddy, Sad for the industry.

•••
24 hours isn't that long. If the domain is transferred, drop them a message to speed it up.

They do seem to be slacking at times though. Just received a payment from a sale 6 days ago whereas usually it's processed and received in less than 24 hours. Another sale I made today was payed within a couple of hours.

It also depends on the day of the week. Close a sale during the weekend, expect a little wait in my experience.
It mostly depends on the payment method and country of the buyer. International bank transfers take close to a week because it travels through at least two banks to get to yours.

•••
Sold a name this morning. Received payment 5 minutes ago.

it sure is nice to sell a name every.morning... much nicer than waking next to a wife every morning

•••
Back