Dynadot

news GoDaddy to acquire domain sales platform dan.com!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
By the way, I think a lot of people approach this from the wrong angle.

If you are a domainer, then you sell to end users. So the question is, do end users like, use, and trust GoDaddy? I think the answer is yes.

See their reviews: https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.godaddy.com

Currently it is 4.7 / 5, based on 45,057 reviews.

GoDaddy is expensive, but think as an end user. If you are a typical end user, then you only have a single or a few domains. So the price is not that important. It is not significant whether you pay 10 or 20 USD / domain / year. Because you are an end user and you only have a single or a few domains.

What is important is that you need great customer service (GoDaddy indeed has great customer service to end users), you need a trusted company with a proven track record, you don't want to lose your domain etc.

So based on this, because end users like, know, use, and trust GoDaddy, then I think this acquistion can be a great thing, because again you sell to end users, so don't care about what other domainers say, just listen to the end users.

•••
We understand that the first reaction many Dan users have can be a negative one. However, please know that this is not your typical exit.

100% of Dan's employees including management and Reza won't leave the company
and the reason for that is because we're given the chance to do what we do well at a larger scale.

We will build out our vision just with more resources at our disposal which we needed to push forward faster.

Give us some time and we will make our roadmap clearer and when that's in place, we believe the sentiment will turn positive.

Good things are ahead for domain investors!
If you didn’t want negative reactions you shouldn’t make announcements patting yourselves on the back without any facts that matter to us.

What day is GD taking over? What will the commission be? What other changes?

You should know this would be the overwhelming reaction.

•••
What changes?
What day of the week are they taking over?
Why did you not consult with pros here first?
Boxers or briefs?
We wanna know everything.
This is so overwhelming.
Dont pat yourself on the back. Scratch ours
On a brighter note, congrats and thanks for lighting the board up here.
@marijuanadomain had such high hopes you and sav would take over the domaining world
We know who daddy is.

Thanks for letting us know via a different medium lmao
Namepros popcorn and namepros tissue
Every domainer should have 1 box of each

•••
After this swallow of Dan i plan to improve my own website, I think Godaddy can hide your presence if they want, I m sure they can do even on Dan if you are their enemy.
So i m just going to build my own domain marketplace, go to hell GoDaddy!

•••
You don’t give up do you? Insert email for advertising is called SPAM and not allowed in this type of thread. By now people should know your company was hacked and exposed thousand of customers data.
What's wrong with that and why bring up the hacking line? Don't you think hacking could have been well planned to slow down or possibly kill off Epik due to the stands of @Rob Monster?

As for Dan, it's a sad news to hear. This acquisition qualifies as a pandemic worst than Covid-19 in the domain industry!

Last edited:
•••
Read the rules 1.1. Do not spam or engage in self-promotion outside of the designated promotional sections (e.g., you may share discounts in Domain Coupons) and permitted threads (i.e., discussions or reviews about an entity that you represent). Rule 1.15 applies. Exceptions are made for paid ads. Tip: Ads can be posted for free in the Promotional section.

This is not the first time he is spamming. He is the only CEO GOT ban here because spamming. I don’t under why people keep kissing his a$$ because he is the CEO?

•••
•••
Ahhh I'm really sad to hear about the acquisition.

GoDaddy is very chunky and not buyer/seller friendly at all. Dan had beautiful UI and wonderful customer support. The fees were reasonable.

I'm not sure what happened behind the scene but I hope they allow Dan to stick to their core and not push their bottom line too much.

•••
•••
•••
Hi

guess these are the reactions, when folks get comfortable.

if you're a domain history buff, then this is good example of the game in action.

over the years, domainers have become the "end-user" of such platforms.
they grow, based on the inventory we supply to them
and in turn, that growth is like "stats" on a traffic domain.

it becomes valuable.

i only used dan, after they partnered with bodis, since then only received 1 offer, but to date, no sales.
so, whether get gobbled up or stay "semi-independent" like unireg, then it's no biggie to me.

it's still going to boil down to having quality domain names, no matter who's the top dog or little dogs in the marketplace biz.

and with dan now getting protection from the rain, it might be good time for another newcomer to get their feet wet.

domain history in the making!

imo...

•••
We understand that the first reaction many Dan users have can be a negative one. However, please know that this is not your typical exit.

and the reason for that is because we're given the chance to do what we do well at a larger scale.

We will build out our vision just with more resources at our disposal which we needed to push forward faster.

Give us some time and we will make our roadmap clearer and when that's in place, we believe the sentiment will turn positive.

This is what aquirees generally think at the time of acquisation.

But track record of Godaddy is much much more proven than even facebook. though there are lots of parellels.

Dig out the list of all acquisitions by Godaddy, or Facebook, you will get to know how it goes down the road.

•••
whelp this has to be the worst June,April fools joke ever…

Just feels like a slap in the face by Dan, I get it you’ll take the money but come on.. sell it to someone else not godaddy, I would approve of Epik over Godaddy…

F you, Dan!

Edited by moderator to remove vulgarity
glad it wasn't Rob

•••

I use Afternic and I use Dan. They both offer different things. I hope it stays that way.

I am kind of put off by Dan's "partnership" message, when it clearly appears to be a straight acquisition by GoDaddy.

Afternic has the largest network, but the Dan system is superior to Afternic on many levels IMO - landers, leads, negotiation, and transfer process.

If GoDaddy wants to keep Dan as is, it won't really effect customers.

My prediction is they are basically going to stick GoDaddy logos on the landers and raise the commission to 20% in order to "standardize" across their services.

If this is the case, everyone loses.

Not many large portfolio holders are going to negotiate a sale via lead, then also pay 20%. I already heard this from many people, including prominent investors.

@Paul Nicks

Some clarity on GoDaddy's plans would help.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I use Afternic and I use Dan. They both offer different things. I hope it stays that way.

I am kind of put off by Dan's "partnership" message, when it clearly appears to be a straight acquisition by GoDaddy.

Afternic has the largest network, but the Dan system is superior to Afternic on many levels IMO - landers, leads, negotiation, and transfer process.

If GoDaddy wants to keep Dan as is, it won't really effect customers.

My prediction is they are basically going to stick GoDaddy logos on the landers and raise the commission to 20% in order to "standardize" across their services.

Not many large portfolio holders are going to negotiate a sale via lead, then also pay 20%. I already heard this from many people, including prominent investors.

@Paul Nicks

Some clarity on GoDaddy's plans would help.

Brad
Are you really expecting a straight answer from him on whether GD will stick with Dan's 9% commission?

Good luck with that.

•••
I'm afraid @Paul Nicks can't say anything substantial in this forum on strategic matters since his promotion to the leadership team of the publicly traded company. Pity.

•••
I'm afraid @Paul Nicks can't say anything substantial in this forum on strategic matters since his promotion to the leadership team of the publicly traded company. Pity.

I simply won't be using a system where I can't control the landers, leads, negotiation, and pay a reasonable fee.

If you are bringing the leads with your network then you might deserve a higher fee.

If I am bringing the leads with my landers and negotiating the sales the extra fee is simply not justified.

If GoDaddy raises the fees to 20% it will likely kill Dan. That might or might not be the goal.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
My wife said this is not a good news.
Dan will lose a lot of Customers as GD will eventually integrate with their system like Afternic. The results of this buy out:
- GD will increase the commission from 9% to whatever we don't know yet
- Dan employees will either leave or join GD and the response time for support will be terrible
- They will require all sellers in the U.S. to submit the 1099 form so they can file at the end of the year to Uncle Sam
- and more...

Big Fish always eat Small Fish to eliminate the Competition.
Nothing we can do - either stay with Dan or leave....
it's always good to know the future ... tell me more
----but let the Lord help you - --no that was a joke

•••
It has been quite a day and it is far from over.

These are fascinating times in the world, and domains still matter. Epik is keen to empower all that we can for as long as we can. The oligarchs that aim to enslave do routinely seek to slow us down.

May the Lord continue to guide our steps, and allow us to be in the right place in the right time. For folks who choose Epik, now that we are doing our best to keep up.

Our plan is to stay independent and to be owned by sovereign individuals. If folks are seeking investor information, please don't contact me directly but rather email to [email protected] for details about that topic.

God bless you all.
" May the Lord "

if there was a "Lord" he wouldn't want suggestions from you
that's for sure

•••
Not such this is a good move.

I will stick with epik and receive my proceed via crypto.

Not ready to follow the long bank process

•••
As more and more people come to despise woke culture, things can change rapidly.
This.

Many people are DONE with woke culture and GoDaddy is very literally #1 in that department for the entire industry. Honestly, the sheer number of woke emails, posts and tweets that they spend their energy on is both as exhausting as it is embarrassing. The average domainer who simply wants to make money could care less about the color or gender of someone. But not GoDaddy...Godaddy treats woke-ism as a priority issue.

Last edited:
•••
Perhaps after this acquisition and a few more in the near future, people will finally begin to grasp the true agenda behind GoDaddy. (Hint: it has much more to do than just their market share and revenue)

People are stubborn, but eventually even the stubborn ones will wake up.

Last edited:
•••
Well next on list will be Dynadot 😉 watch my words 😉
I believe this too. Dynadot and Godaddy always cozy.

I probably wouldnt take you up on that bet.

Last edited:
•••
Well next on list will be Dynadot 😉 watch my words 😉
Not according to Dynadot founder Todd Han, who said this just a few weeks ago:

"Dynadot will become an employee-owned company starting in 2023. We decided that employees should own Dynadot instead of venture capital or a private equity firm," says Todd. "Dynadot has stayed independent as almost all the registrars around us have been bought up. Employee ownership will guarantee that we are accountable to our customers instead of a faraway banker."

We strive to serve our customers, not outside investors. By becoming employee-owned, the individual and collective hard work of the Dynadot team will continue to drive the company's success in the long term. Our employees can feel secure that a merger or acquisition will not throw them off course, allowing them to perform confidently in their roles. Most importantly, we can continue to keep our customers at the forefront of our efforts.

Last edited:
•••
Not according to Dynadot founder Todd Han, who said this just a few weeks ago:

"Dynadot will become an employee-owned company starting in 2023. We decided that employees should own Dynadot instead of venture capital or a private equity firm," says Todd. "Dynadot has stayed independent as almost all the registrars around us have been bought up. Employee ownership will guarantee that we are accountable to our customers instead of a faraway banker."

We strive to serve our customers, not outside investors. By becoming employee-owned, the individual and collective hard work of the Dynadot team will continue to drive the company's success in the long term. Our employees can feel secure that a merger or acquisition will not throw them off course, allowing them to perform confidently in their roles. Most importantly, we can continue to keep our customers at the forefront of our efforts.

Yeh but any company have a board , if the majority of them decide to sell to another company will be sold 😉 & who have more money...GD 😉
As @Samer say , Dynadot have already a connection with Godaddy

Last edited:
•••
Back