Dynadot

GoDaddy's Premium DNS

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
It's only $2.99/month for all domains in your account. Is this a steal or just another trick to get your money. On average. I have between 10-30 domains in my account at any one time. I use GoDaddy's regular DNS to forward the domains to my forsale website.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No. One server is never, ever ok. It matters even more for domainers.

Yes, the more the better. But one is just fooling around looking for issues. It's not even expensive so why risk losing sales? Can't cut corners on this one.

I'm saying that in general, one is OK.

For example, one of my clients has about 1300+ domain names. All his domain names use his own DNS and point to his own web server. Both DNS and Web use the same server.
The server has been running stably for 186 days with no problems at all ( and no problems were encountered before, just have other needs, restart the server )

I agree with your point of view. It is better to have multiple servers, but it is not impossible for one. In addition, multiple servers also have the risk of downtime at the same time.

Here is the current instantaneous state of his server:

server-status.jpg

Here's a one-minute video of his server's state change:

Last edited:
•••
I'm not claiming it's impossible, just saying its commonly frowned upon and industry wide regarded as bad practice.

If your node goes down, so does your DNS. You won't be able to failover your domains cos guess what? That's also down.

Mail? Down cos your node is tripping.

Then there's the security issue. It's pretty easy to tear down a webserver. When that webserver goes down due to excessive load, so does your DNS.

A single network issue, which isn't uncommon, will bring down your entire cluster.

Then there's the speed issue. One server, can't use geodns, anycast, load balancing just to name some options.

In short your created not one but probably at least 10 SPOF. We cannot all afford an infrastructure like DAN but you can create at least some degree of 'high availability' which is quite affordable. If you charge what you charge, you should at least provide your clients with a secure and stable infrastructure.

I don't see why people would pay at all for what you're offering. Plenty of good, reliable DNS services out there for next to nothing.

Unless you need your DNS to do something custom, people are better off just using a service like @Name Trader asked about. Heck, even your registrar's DNS will outperform whatever your 'setup' is.

That you didn't encounter any issues yet is either because you're lucky or because it went unnoticed. 1300 doesn't mean much. It all depends on the amount of traffic, stack and lander you use. DNS doesn't stress a server that much, it's usually the webserver.

And yes, there's a very tiny chance all your servers go down. Will never be 100%. What you can do is plan ahead for issues. Using hot spares, spinning up a new server the moment another one crashes. Easydns has this nifty feature where they update your DNS servers to working ones when they go down.

Last edited:
•••
I'm not claiming it's impossible, just saying its commonly frowned upon and industry wide regarded as bad practice.

If your node goes down, so does your DNS. You won't be able to failover your domains cos guess what? That's also down.

Mail? Down cos your node is tripping.

Then there's the security issue. It's pretty easy to tear down a webserver. When that webserver goes down due to excessive load, so does your DNS.

A single network issue, which isn't uncommon, will bring down your entire cluster.

Then there's the speed issue. One server, can't use geodns, anycast, load balancing just to name some options.

In short your created not one but probably at least 10 SPOF. We cannot all afford an infrastructure like DAN but you can create at least some degree of 'high availability' which is quite affordable. If you charge what you charge, you should at least provide your clients with a secure and stable infrastructure.

I don't see why people would pay at all for what you're offering. Plenty of good, reliable DNS services out there for next to nothing.

Unless you need your DNS to do something custom, people are better off just using a service like @Name Trader asked about. Heck, even your registrar's DNS will outperform whatever your 'setup' is.

That you didn't encounter any issues yet is either because you're lucky or because it went unnoticed. 1300 doesn't mean much. It all depends on the amount of traffic, stack and lander you use. DNS doesn't stress a server that much, it's usually the webserver.

And yes, there's a very tiny chance all your servers go down. Will never be 100%. What you can do is plan ahead for issues. Using hot spares, spinning up a new server the moment another one crashes. Easydns has this nifty feature where they update your DNS servers to working ones when they go down.

Nothing is 100%, even if it is well done and well thought out.
Thank you very much for all your replies.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back