IT.COM

opinion Hand Registering Domains Is Not Domain Investing

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DN Playbook

Established Member
Impact
Admittedly, this may be somewhat a sensationalized title. But hand registering is only a bridge or gateway to investing in domains. This article discusses why. What are your thoughts? Looking forward to them. Here is the link to the article:

Hand Registering Domains Is Not Domain Investing

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
May I ask, are you covering your costs?

This seem a quite low sales ratio ( .2% ) , and at this level you can't be profitable unless you sell each domain for quite some high numbers, mid 4-fig at least

I get the same number of sales from a couple hundred names batch, example, my meta names.

Expired auction: Get better names, OR adjust your pricing if price is the issue.

Note: Bob posts his sales now and then in the sales thread but not each day.
Thank you Twiki for the kind reply. I began Domaining seriously 6 months ago. Prior to that, much of my money disappeared because of my inexperience in the industry. Because I used to focus on creative names based on literary keywords (Example: Somonka.com, PenniesHeaven.com, etc)

As you pointed out, the last four sales have helped me break even. They are in fact XYZ domains based on meta keywords and sold for a relatively good amount of price. I appreciate your observation, and I'm currently more concerned about the sustainability of my investment! I am in the process of learning from all your experiences!

I'm sorry because I couldn't locate Bob's sales posts. I'll try again to track it down. I always wonder how much time he puts into the well-being of this industry! Thanks again for the great tips!

Last edited:
•••
•••
It depends.

I sometimes hand reg names and trust me, I've sold lots of that. Hundreds.

The other thing to mention is that preowned domains perform better overall. But there is a business in manual regs, especially in forward-looking niches that you are 100% sure will be there. There are a couple I invest in and have a few tens of names which are being renewed as the niche grows.
Same here. Research is the key, just hand-regging a domain or buying it from auction doesn't mean anything. Auction name can suck, handreg can be great and vice versa.

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Are not all names Hand regged to start with ? The big ones selling for thousands or even million were hand regged at some point or am I missing something

•••
The key point is does the name have value and you have reasonable expectations on a profit, considered statistically over a basket of names.
Indeed @Bob Hawkes, you have zeroed in on the key point.

The question is not how long you hold on to the name or how long you sell it after you hand reg it. But how long are you willing to hang on to it. If you hand reg domains just to see if they sell before the first year expires, and drop them if they don't, then that is speculation and not investing. Because the reg price was a loss and an expected loss at that.

I see people posting hand reg'd domains they claim they sold. First, most are terrible names. Second, what evidence is there they were actually sold and at prices claimed. Third, I hope they are not being posted for promotion. If you can post evidence of the sales then kudos to you and you are an inspiration to us all.

•••
Any action you do with the intent of one day making a profit from it is investing. You could win or lose, but it's still investing.
Intent is not investing. Investing is making a calculated risk where you have reasonable expectation of increasing your assets either through resale or development. Also that holding on to your investment over time will make it more valuable.

•••
Intent is not investing. Investing is making a calculated risk where you have reasonable expectation of increasing your assets either through resale or development. Also that holding on to your investment over time will make it more valuable.
Intent is not investing? An apple is not a grape. Do you even know what intent means? What exactly did you innovate with your post?

Your intent might've not been to confuse people, but you did a good job at it.

For the people new to domaining reading this, he didn't say anything new. I made a point that anything you do with the intent of one day making a profit from it is investing.

For example, if you are drunk and you handreg a random name, that is unintentional and it is not investing.

If on the other hand you were reading the forums and saw someone waste peoples time with posts that contribute nothing and you decided to handreg WasteOfTimePosters.com because you feel you can build a site featuring all those posts and get traffic and make money or you feel you can resell the name, that is intentional and IS investing.

Last edited:
•••
Investing is making a calculated risk where you have reasonable expectation of increasing your assets either through resale or development. Also that holding on to your investment over time will make it more valuable.

Its depend , investment isn't only about return on investment, but also "return on time invesments" Sometime we confuse and threat liability like as a valuable assets

•••
Intent is not investing? An apple is not a grape. Do you even know what intent means? What exactly did you innovate with your post?

Your intent might've not been to confuse people, but you did a good job at it.

For the people new to domaining reading this, he didn't say anything new. I made a point that anything you do with the intent of one day making a profit from it is investing.

For example, if you are drunk and you handreg a random name, that is unintentional and it is not investing.

If on the other hand you were reading the forums and saw someone waste peoples time with posts that contribute nothing and you decided to handreg WasteOfTimePosters.com because you feel you can build a site featuring all those posts and get traffic and make money or you feel you can resell the name, that is intentional and IS investing.
I think I know what the word intent means. I hope I made people think with this post. That was my intent. Even if you build a site on a poor domain name it is an investment if you are investing time and money and you have reasonable expectation it will be profitable.

Last edited:
•••
I think I know what the word intent means. I hope I made people think with this post. That was my intent. Even if you build a site on a poor domain name it is an investment if you are investing time and money and you have reasonable expectation it will be profitable.
You sure made people think but not about this topic.

By the way, here is the definition of domain investment from your site:

"What is Domain Investing

Domain investing is the acquisition of domain names and then selling them for a higher price than what you invested initially. Some domain investors buy domains and hold on to them for a long time and sell to the best buyer possible. This is someone who is keenly interested in that specific domain with the goal of building a business on it. Others may acquire domains to flip them quickly for profit."

Article titled: Can You Make a Living With Domain Investing?

If you knew what intent meant OR you remembered what's on your own site, you would've saved your comment.

•••
You sure made people think but not about this topic.

By the way, here is the definition of domain investment from your site:

"What is Domain Investing

Domain investing is the acquisition of domain names and then selling them for a higher price than what you invested initially. Some domain investors buy domains and hold on to them for a long time and sell to the best buyer possible. This is someone who is keenly interested in that specific domain with the goal of building a business on it. Others may acquire domains to flip them quickly for profit."

Article titled: Can You Make a Living With Domain Investing?

If you knew what intent meant OR you remembered what's on your own site, you would've saved your comment.
This doesn't contradict the premise of the OP. I am not sure why this thread has such emotional reactions. Investing is a calculated risk where you anticipate making a profit, whether that is long term or short term. The "calculated" part is the key.

•••
This doesn't contradict the premise of the OP. I am not sure why this thread has such emotional reactions. Investing is a calculated risk where you anticipate making a profit, whether that is long term or short term. The "calculated" part is the key.
We care about people that are showing signs of irrational behavior and speech. I am especially concerned about people that forget what they write. With one of the signs of covid being brain fog and memory loss, I am always on alert and take into account that people, even those that don't know it, might be suffering from long covid. What you wrote so far in this thread is concerning, not about domains, just your overall behavior. Constant contradictions, forgetfulness, possible confusion of meaning of words and overall bad logic.

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/intent

"If you are intent on doing something, you are determined to get it done. If you have an intent, you have a motive or purpose.

Intention and intent are synonyms, but with a subtle difference. Intention implies a general desire or plan to accomplish something, while intent is a little stronger, indicating a firm resolve to get it done. Intent can be used as a noun or adjective. So you may be intent on finishing your homework, but the amount of it has you convinced of your teacher's ill intent."

•••
We care about people that are showing signs of irrational behavior and speech. I am especially concerned about people that forget what they write. With one of the signs of covid being brain fog and memory loss, I am always on alert and take into account that people, even those that don't know it, might be suffering from long covid. What you wrote so far in this thread is concerning, not about domains, just your overall behavior. Constant contradictions, forgetfulness, possible confusion of meaning of words and overall bad logic.

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/intent

"If you are intent on doing something, you are determined to get it done. If you have an intent, you have a motive or purpose.

Intention and intent are synonyms, but with a subtle difference. Intention implies a general desire or plan to accomplish something, while intent is a little stronger, indicating a firm resolve to get it done. Intent can be used as a noun or adjective. So you may be intent on finishing your homework, but the amount of it has you convinced of your teacher's ill intent."
Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will get myself checked out. But understand that one sign that you can't win an argument is when you start attacking the messenger. Also, I am not trying to win an argument. I don't care whether you agree with me or not. Why are you even making this personal? What's the point? That baffles me.

•••
Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will get myself checked out. But understand that one sign that you can't win an argument is when you start attacking the messenger. Also, I am not trying to win an argument. I don't care whether you agree with me or not. Why are you even making this personal? What's the point? That baffles me.
How can I win an argument with someone that agrees with what I wrote but claims that what they wrote is something different? Where is the argument?

It's like if after I toss a coin and it landed on either heads or tails I said that it landed on heads and you say you don't agree, you believe it didn't land on tails. When I point out we agree you claim it's not the same thing.

Anyone getting a domain, even if they got it for free using a coupon, if their goal is to make money from it, they made an investment.

When someone signed up to robinhood back in the day and they got a free stock just for signing up, they made an investment. Their time to download and register, is that investment.

Last edited:
•••
How can I win an argument with someone that agrees with what I wrote but claims that what they wrote is something different? Where is the argument?

It's like if after I toss a coin and it landed on either heads or tails I said that it landed on heads and you say you don't agree, you believe it didn't land on tails. When I point out we agree you claim it's not the same thing.

Anyone getting a domain, even if they got it for free using a coupon, if their goal is to make money from it, they made an investment.

When someone signed up to robinhood back in the day and they got a free stock just for signing up, they made an investment. Their time to download and register, is that investment.
I'm sorry you missed the point of the OP. Let's not go away mad. No hard feelings. I appreciate your feedback. You make good points.

•••
Who care what the definition is.
Posting nonsense thread to get "likes" and wasting other people time is not investing.
@johnn, I respect you but you cannot say this thread was made in order to get "likes". If anything, it has been the opposite. At the same time, it is interesting to get the points of view. I do not take anything personal. Also, I do not believe it is a waste of time.

•••
Gongrats , but you didn’t answer the question ! Lol 😆

I will be putting a parking on them, I put them soon on it, every month names I put parking on them at the end of the month :)

•••
The difficulty is when renewals come around.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back