IT.COM

Help!!! How to deal with NetworkSolutions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

omelet

Top Member
Impact
Hello friends,

I have 2 thousands name now with Networksolutions, and about 1/3 expiring or expired. I am busy in transferring the names....

I have called them and request for spread sheet of auth code and asked them to unlock the domains, however, they never sent that

I manually unlocked and requested auth code one by one. However, when I transferred those names, the names are failed in transfer, either because of the wrong auth code, or the locking status (they already unlocked from NSI control panel)

What can I do? What's the best way to save my domains. I know many of you already warned me and some others that dont transfer names to networksolutions, yes you are all right

But, please tell me what I should do now. the right solutions

thank you

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hello friends,

I have 2 thousands name now with Networksolutions, and about 1/3 expiring or expired. I am busy in transferring the names....

I have called them and request for spread sheet of auth code and asked them to unlock the domains, however, they never sent that

I manually unlocked and requested auth code one by one. However, when I transferred those names, the names are failed in transfer, either because of the wrong auth code, or the locking status (they already unlocked from NSI control panel)

What can I do? What's the best way to save my domains. I know many of you already warned me and some others that dont transfer names to networksolutions, yes you are all right

But, please tell me what I should do now. the right solutions

thank you

@omelet - As I believe you already are transferring a lot of domains to Epik, worst case, use Epik's transfer concierge to manually manage this task for you.

That being said, before enduring that tedious task, I would first try getting on the phone with NetSol and escalating to a manager until they finally agree to just give you a file with the auth codes and unlock your domains. They will do it. You can remind them of the term "Tortious Interference", which is the legal term that describes their deliberate and well documented practice of making it as hard as possible for customers to leave NetSol. There is no other major registrar that is more blatant in this than NetSol. They are in a category by themselves right now and are begging for a class action lawsuit.

If needed, the outcome can be shared in the ICANN Registrar Stakeholder Group to seek industry input as to reasonable practices when it comes to allowing customers to move out large portfolios. I don't believe NetSol has ever been called out in the RSG for their practices but it might be the right time to do so. If there are others with large domain portfolios at NetSol having the same issue, they can also summarize their experiences here in this thread to memorialize their findings for the public record.

•••
I’ve seen a lot of your names. This could be a mixed blessing - let some of them go. :xf.wink: Pruning time!

For what’s left just file an ICANN transfer complaint takes seconds copy paste the names into the complaint box.

Last edited:
•••
Horror story of network solutions.

•••
@omelet - As I believe you already are transferring a lot of domains to Epik, worst case, use Epik's transfer concierge to manually manage this task for you.

That being said, before enduring that tedious task, I would first try getting on the phone with NetSol and escalating to a manager until they finally agree to just give you a file with the auth codes and unlock your domains. They will do it. You can remind them of the term "Tortious Interference", which is the legal term that describes their deliberate and well documented practice of making it as hard as possible for customers to leave NetSol. There is no other major registrar that is more blatant in this than NetSol. They are in a category by themselves right now and are begging for a class action lawsuit.

If needed, the outcome can be shared in the ICANN Registrar Stakeholder Group to seek industry input as to reasonable practices when it comes to allowing customers to move out large portfolios. I don't believe NetSol has ever been called out in the RSG for their practices but it might be the right time to do so. If there are others with large domain portfolios at NetSol having the same issue, they can also summarize their experiences here in this thread to memorialize their findings for the public record.

Hi Rob,

I appreciated for your and your team's great supports.

I am a big fan of Epik now

•••
My strategy to deal with my case:

1), 30% of low quality names- withdraw

2), 70% of good names:
  • Focused on expired names first
    • Manually request for auth codes
    • with auth codes, then unlock names
  • Request for expiring name auth code the second, of course need manually do that
  • Manually request for auth codes of active names, average 50 names per day, it would take a week or two to finish all

Thanks Rob and your team

•••
Hi Rob,

I appreciated for your and your team's great supports.

I am a big fan of Epik now

You were a pretty tough critic of various registrars so I especially appreciate that assessment. We'll be on the lookout for your ongoing feedback.

•••
I’ve seen a lot of your names. This could be a mixed blessing - let some of them go. :xf.wink: Pruning time!

For what’s left just file an ICANN transfer complaint takes seconds copy paste the names into the complaint box.
can I approach ICANN?

•••
You were a pretty tough critic of various registrars so I especially appreciate that assessment. We'll be on the lookout for your ongoing feedback.

:)

Actually, to satisfy demanding domainers are not super hard:

1), good heart to serve and communicate. Epik wins.
2), understand what domainers thinking and design UI/UX in easy operations. Epik is winning
3), fair price.
4), great function to help domainers to sell. I am happy to see Epik has lease/ rent options, and many others. Epik wins

fast and save time, simple and easy, safe and reliable in operations. If you can achieve this, I believe Epik will win.

•••
can I approach ICANN?

Will take an eternity to get a reply.

Better to call NetSol. Escalate to management. Tell them you are recording the conversation and then record it. If you don't get satisfaction, you can upload it.

•••
rant

NetSol - I was in shock when I was told it would take 3 days to get my unlock code and then only if I qualified. What the heck.... qualified?

If they said I could get 10 domains for free, I would not register there. It would be too much of a hassle to move them because every part of their control panel is made to discourage you from moving out.

/rant

•••
•••
can I approach ICANN?

Use this form
https://forms.icann.org/en/resources/compliance/complaints/transfer/form

enter one domain name into the "Domain Name" box, then check "My registrar does not allow me to transfer my domain name" and then in the box "Please provide additional comment or details" copy/paste the additional domain names, or at least as many as the form will allow you to enter. My client used the form to complain about approximately a dozen domains.

I had my client send the domain transfer complaint pursuant to this issue:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/av...-if-even-one-trademark-claim-is-made.1110373/
and the response came from ICANN three business days later. In the interim, GoDaddy had already provided the transfer authorization codes and the domains had already been transferred, so ICANN's response was to the effect of that 'we already note that the issue has been resolved,' but they did respond relatively quickly.

Last edited:
•••
thanks!!

Last edited:
•••
Network Solutions is the AOL of registrars.

•••
Let me guess you used their $1 deal to register 2000 domains, and now you have to move mountains to transfer them out. Well now netsol simply puts a $20 surcharge on transfer outs when you use a sub $1 register coupon so I guess your batch will be the last bit of that. Most of your names will probably end up with Newventurescorp, I don't have much confidence in them wanting to help you considering you probably cost them close to $15K in losses.

•••
•••
is it correct?
No

Names can still be transferred
Out. Just bit complicated, especially the bulk operations.

@Rob Monster give lots of supports to make this transfer much easier. Thanks to him

•••
No

Names can still be transferred
Out. Just bit complicated, especially the bulk operations.

@Rob Monster give lots of supports to make this transfer much easier. Thanks to him

I posted a letter to the Registrar Stakeholder Group and got a quick reply from Web.com. They helped the registrant to get an export of all the auth codes (about 2000) versus the implausibly manual task of doing this one by one through their User Interface. So, I think this is looking promising. If anyone else needs this help, email the details to [email protected] and will make an appeal.

•••
@omelet is it correct?

the thousands of names were originally registered with mydomain, netfirms, domain, dotster, with 1.99 per if I remember right.

Then transferred to nsi with cheap price last year during their promotion

I admit I didn’t spend too much. But that should not be the reason for registrars to stop you transfer out. Users always should have freedom to transfer around and select the best fit registrar to manage portfolio. Someone care more about financial aspect, someone cares more user experiences, etc.

If registrars intend to stop domainers from transfer due to their own financial loss, that’s not ethical. Every domain discount campaign Has risk. Registrar should consider that in the very beginning and still permit user to make their own selections.

Netsol is truest harder to deal with. I m lucky to have Rob help out .

•••
Hi @omelet, I'm having the same problem with NS giving me wrong auth code to transfer out, do you solved it?

•••
the thousands of names were originally registered with mydomain, netfirms, domain, dotster, with 1.99 per if I remember right.

Then transferred to nsi with cheap price last year during their promotion

I admit I didn’t spend too much. But that should not be the reason for registrars to stop you transfer out. Users always should have freedom to transfer around and select the best fit registrar to manage portfolio. Someone care more about financial aspect, someone cares more user experiences, etc.

If registrars intend to stop domainers from transfer due to their own financial loss, that’s not ethical. Every domain discount campaign Has risk. Registrar should consider that in the very beginning and still permit user to make their own selections.

Netsol is truest harder to deal with. I m lucky to have Rob help out .
Well promotional pricing never used to come with loop holes, and it used to be a bit more open, but you have to understand when someone makes a run at about 2-5K domains at say $2, and it costs them close to $8 to register the name, they are losing $6 per name in the sale they are going to put limits in place, and make it that much harder to transfer within their guidelines so they can charge you that $20 renewal.

Many here wouldn't take free names from netsol as we have all had our fair share of nightmare stories with them. If you don't renew a .org the day before it expires, it ends up costs like $60 the day it actually expires as they charge a redemption fee on the day of expiry.

•••

I just sold my 1 domain registered with NetSol - Now waiting for the auth code. When everything is getting so fast and advance then also NetSol needs 3 days to provide the auth code.

Very annoying

•••
You deal with them by avoiding them

•••
I have just registered 1 domain with them.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back