IT.COM

discuss Here's why .XYZ will fail

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
There has been a lot of hype lately for .xyz because of a small number of big sales. I see a lot of people overextending themselves and pouring a lot of their budget in this extension. Personally, I believe .xyz is doomed to fail. Maybe I'll eat my words, maybe I won't. Here is my case for why I think .xyz will fail:

1) Low number of sales

According to Namebio.com, in the last two years there have been only 867 sales. Only 359 of those have been over $1,000. Yes, these are only reported sales, but unimpressive none the less. Now, compare this with the number of .xyz registered in the past two years, and this number will seem even more minuscule. Most of the names that sold were also premium one word names.

2) No space for innovation

Which brings me to my next point. Because domainers are rushing to register every single available .xyz domain that is decent, it leaves little space for businesses to set up under the extension and promote the extension. This exposure is crucial in order for the TLD to grow. It's getting to the point where you can't find a decent two word .xyz and that's not because they are taken by businesses. Which will certainly stunt its growth.

3) It's ugly

Aesthetically and phonetically .xyz is ugly. It's three syllables, unlike .com, .me, .net, .co... Which makes it harder to say. It looks horrible when it's part of a design or even just typing it. It feels cheap.

4) People don't trust it

Because of all the reasons above and the cheap initial registration costs, there aren't enough legitimate businesses using the extension and there are lot of spammy sites. Starting to type in Google "is .xyz" gives a first suggestion of "is .xyz safe". Same goes for ".xyz domain" (third suggestion).

5) It's not early

I know many of you will say that it's still early for .xyz. But it isn't. It has been around since 2014. It had some initial hype because of Google using it and that hype hasn't materialized. I don't think it ever will.

That's just my two cents. What do you guys think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last edited:
•••
Of course will fail like .biz the .xyz
Even 2 weeks i sold by luck a .biz with 1111$
I can bet all my portfolio against Swetha portfolio that in one year i will not sell a .xyz with 9888$
By the way what is the biggest sale of .xyz ? ( without Swetha sales & Nomad .xyz )
1000$ , 3000 , 4000$
What i read is sales in range of 0-1000$
Sorry but this are not sales are jokes
I can get 200$ or 600$ easy for a .us or .eu ( my fav extensions )
Until this point for me .xyz is not something special
...and i own register.xyz in 2015 or 2016 🤫 of course droped & not sorry i droped

Last edited:
•••
Of course will fail like .biz the .xyz
Even 2 weeks i sold by luck a .biz with 1111$
I can bet all my portfolio against Swetha portfolio that in one year i will not sell a .xyz with 9888$
By the way what is the biggest sale of .xyz ? ( without Swetha sales & Nomad .xyz )
1000$ , 3000 , 4000$
What i read is sales in range of 0-1000$
Sorry but this are not sales are jokes
I can get 200$ or 600$ easy for a .us or .eu ( my fav extensions )
Until this point for me .xyz is not something special
...and i own register.xyz in 2015 or 2016 🤫 of course droped & not sorry i droped

It’s all about the right time and right place

In 2016 - my father and I bought wines.xyz for $7,500 ... last year at ROTD - I was offered $15,000 ... I could have sold the name / but it’s worth more then this now especially with the ability to conduct crypto-currency transactions using the name as a crypto wallet address partnered w/ Ethereum

You can bet your entire portfolio against Swetha and you can doubt her sales all you want, she’s backed them all up and is recorded on all of the major domain platforms, to get recorded as an actual sale, you need the contract, you need screenshots of the escrow ... if none of her sales redirected to major sites or start up companies, you could then say “that’s fishy”

And even though she is getting the majority of major sales, she has spent a fortune to run her business model - the renewals alone on her 20,000 .xyz domains is more then most of the people in this forum make in a year ...

Last edited:
•••
Correct. Most people don't care about NFTs or crypto.

I've never met anyone that cares about them.

You’re not hanging around the right people ... I can tell you one crypto I’m invested in now, that Mark Cuban, DraftKings, and Kevin O’Leary are invested in now ... the ROI over one year has been 63,000% ^^^ $.023 - $1.57 today (MATIC)

Take it from someone that has a bottle of 1997 Salon in his Fridge Door / and has the patience not to pop the cork until he sells the domain -

wines.xyz

Don’t underestimate the power of the inevitable

Emphasis on what is this “madness”

Last edited:
•••
It’s all about the right time and right place

In 2016 - my father and I bought wines.xyz for $7,500 ... last year at ROTD - I was offered $15,000 ... I could have sold the name / but it’s worth more then this now especially with the ability to conduct crypto-currency transactions using the name as a crypto wallet address partnered w/ Ethereum

You can bet your entire portfolio against Swetha and you can doubt her sales all you want, she’s backed them all up and is recorded on all of the major domain platforms, to get recorded as an actual sale, you need the contract, you need screenshots of the escrow ... if none of her sales redirected to major sites or start up companies, you could then say “that’s fishy”

And even though she is getting the majority of major sales, she has spent a fortune to run her business model - the renewals alone on her 20,000 .xyz domains is more then most of the people in this forum make in a year ...
Shoud sell for 15k imo maybe next time not receive this kind of offer
Did i say that the sales of Swetha are fake in my comment ?!?!?
I say that me i will not sell a xyz with 9888$ ( and bet on this my portfolio against Swetha portfolio ) & want to know if some one else sold a xyz with more than 5k not what offers recived
In conclusion i dont see .xyz have a future ( imo )
PS when will be 20-30 mil reg .xyz like .de or .net maybe

Last edited:
•••
Shoud sell for 15k imo maybe next time not receive this kind of offer
Did i say that the sales of Swetha are fake in my comment ?!?!?
I say that me i will not sell a xyz with 9888$ & want to know if some one else sold a xyz with more than 5k not what offers recived

That’s like saying what if Whisky.com would have sold for their first initial offer of $1,000 .... lmfao ;)

https://www.dnjournal.com/cover/2014/february.htm

0 to $3,100,000 Real Quick

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••

As said by Michael Castello - I received an email one day in 1996 from someone in Germany. A professor wanted to purchase Whisky.com. I thought I could possibly make some money and I offered him the name for $1,000. He told me he could register any domain name for $100 and declined my offer. I told him that $100 was no incentive for me to sell. Funny thing, he wrote me the very next year and offered me the $1,000. I told him what was $1,000 last year was now $10,000. He scoffed and said that was preposterous. Lo and behold, a year later he again came back with an offer of $10,000 and again I told him what was $10,000 last year is $100,000 this year. I never heard from him again

~

And then he sold the name for $3.1M

All about the right time, right person, and right place ... and ... do you have the patience ... the majority do not

Last edited:
•••
You’re not hanging around the right people ... I can tell you one crypto I’m invested in now, that Mark Cuban, DraftKings, and Kevin O’Leary are invested in now ... the ROI over one year has been 63,000% ^^^ $.023 - $1.57 today (MATIC)

Take it from someone that has a bottle of 1997 Salon in his Fridge Door / and has the patience not to pop the cork until he sells the domain -

wines.xyz

Don’t underestimate the power of the inevitable

Emphasis on what is this “madness”
Yeah but who cares about it? Very few.

•••
As said by Michael Castello - I received an email one day in 1996 from someone in Germany. A professor wanted to purchase Whisky.com. I thought I could possibly make some money and I offered him the name for $1,000. He told me he could register any domain name for $100 and declined my offer. I told him that $100 was no incentive for me to sell. Funny thing, he wrote me the very next year and offered me the $1,000. I told him what was $1,000 last year was now $10,000. He scoffed and said that was preposterous. Lo and behold, a year later he again came back with an offer of $10,000 and again I told him what was $10,000 last year is $100,000 this year. I never heard from him again

~

And then he sold the name for $3.1M

All about the right time, right person, and right place ... and ... do you have the patience ... the majority do not
Yes there are always stories.

•••
I was just looking for some examples of other hype trains and this one amused be greatly...

1643831518847.png

That display picture says a lot.

So, Jeff, to be clear....if you were to wake up tomorrow and see:
google.mobi
yahoo.mobi
facebook.mobi
ebay.mobi
amazon.mobi
cnn.mobi
si.mobi
windows.mobi
wikipedia.mobi
youtube.mobi
& More
....all suddenly started a full blown media blitz...in the paper, on TV, online, radio, etc. promoting their mobi sites as their "mobile" versions....assuming all were redirects of former .com mobile sites.....you're still going to say that this would not help the forward progress or acceptance of .mobi?

somehow, I knew you'd be back someday...Already feeling like I've slipped into a time capsule and jettisoned back...:alien:
If these people use them as redirects then that will be what propels acceptance of this extension...

Think what you want, I have done my homework & you have done yours. Vision is in the 'BRAIN' of the beholder! :hehe:
I've done my homework, you haven't!! I have vision.

.mobi
.net
.info
.co
.biz
.app
.top (that was the top new gtld once... for a year or two at least)
now .xyz

Same arguments. Different extensions or things. Even the same people...

•••
•••
I was just looking for some examples of other hype trains and this one amused be greatly...

Show attachment 209228

That display picture says a lot.

If these people use them as redirects then that will be what propels acceptance of this extension...

I've done my homework, you haven't!! I have vision.

.mobi
.net
.info
.co
.biz
.app
.top (that was the top new gtld once... for a year or two at least)
now .xyz

Same arguments. Different extensions or things. Even the same people...

First off it is incredibly easy for someone to make a JPEG file and screenshot the image of a Bored Ape ... I would guarantee that they aren’t the actual owners of that one

Now - what has .xyz done to bring value to their extension ... not a whole lot

But the one thing they have gone out and done is form a partnership with one of the most powerful decentralized companies there is ... why didn’t Verisign approach Ethereum, or another alt crypto currency platform ...

The tie between centralization and decentralization is literally ground breaking ... banks have been trying to do this with CBCD / yet they have been failing miserably and so they hop on the bandwagon, because their shareholders are now trading in crypto-currency, rather then taking the advice of their money managers ...

And so it begins with domains, who would have imagined ... Ethereum naming system partners w/ .xyz and Daniel Negari ... mind you that .xyz is an accredited extension authorized by ICANN ... 99% of blockchain domains are not authorized by ICANN or even supported ... and so there is a depreciating factor that comes into play ^ even Andrew Rosener knows this, yet he supports blockchain domains that are not authorized by ICANN and he does not support GTLDs ... interesting when you think about it ^ how come ?

Yet .xyz is accredited, and has somehow formed a partnership that is with a kingpin of decentralization and runs the forefront crypto-currency for NFT and meta verse transactions ... I get it though, you don’t understand what any of that means, well you’ll see ... either those invested in the above are wrong and will lose billions of dollars or will be the entrepreneurs to capture the next big market before anyone else or you’re the one to say television would never be successful and why would anyone want to stream movies from home ... as did Blockbuster when they passed on the chance to buy Netflix for $50M, laughed at the thought, laughed themselves into bankruptcy ...

The only question is

what kind of person are you

Last edited:
•••
.net is biggest failure of all extensions

I'm not even a fan of .NET, but...
NET.gif

What other (authorized by ICANN) DNS extensions exist that you can utilize as a wallet address

Ethereum has a partnership w/ .xyz to utilize .xyz domains as crypto wallet addresses’

.co and .mobi do not have a partnership w/ any blockchain companies to coordinate a means to conduct transactions via crypto-currency

the ability to conduct crypto-currency transactions using the name as a crypto wallet address partnered w/ Ethereum

Ethereum naming system partners w/ .xyz

Convinced yet?

why didn’t Verisign approach Ethereum, or another alt crypto currency platform ...

LOL You'd think this would be a huge clue, but no.

The day more than 8 people and their dog care about attaching a domain name to an ETH wallet (aka never) is the day .COM does it and nobody even remembers .XYZ can.

Last edited:
•••
First off it is incredibly easy for someone to make a JPEG file and screenshot the image of a Bored Ape ... I would guarantee that they aren’t the actual owners of that one
Indeed, that's why it's quite pointless and doesn't interest anyone.
Now - what has .xyz done to bring value to their extension ... not a whole lot
Agreed
But the one thing they have gone out and done is form a partnership with one of the most powerful decentralized companies there is ... why didn’t Verisign approach Ethereum, or another alt crypto currency platform ...
Cause they already have the most valuable domain name extension and there is no opportunity to be found. They are already at the mouth of the bottom of the funnel of money due to their position.
The tie between centralization and decentralization is literally ground breaking ... banks have been trying to do this with CBCD / yet they have been failing miserably and so they hop on the bandwagon, because their shareholders are now trading in crypto-currency then taking the advice of their money managers ...
The fact that people are using crypto as vehicle to trade and profit in fiat currencies is a travesty. Completely against the spirit of bitcoin and decentralisation. As for the banks... those that control the money supply and governments have their beady little eyes and control (through regulation) over the points of interest to them (where fiat becomes crypto and vice versa) and the dissemination of the funds that have been exchanged. The companies involved that are BEGGING for regulation are just as bad. So no, it's not ground breaking, it's the same old same old speculation with the illusion of legitimacy and privacy with the same groups profiting. NFTs being "lost" wtf...?
And so it begins with domains, who would have imagined ... Ethereum naming system partners w/ .xyz and Daniel Negari ... mind you that .xyz is an accredited extension authorized by ICANN ... 99% of blockchain domains are not authorized by ICANN or even supported ... and so there is a depreciating factor that comes into play ^ even Andrew Rosener knows this, yet he supports blockchain domains that not authorized by ICANN and he does not support GTLDs ... interesting when you think about it ^ how come ?
This whole Etherium and domain name connection... when I say that people care very little about NFTs and crypto, far fewer people care about domains on the blockchain 🥱.
Yet .xyz is accredited, and has somehow formed a partnership that is a kingpin of decentralization and runs the forefront crypto-currency for NFT and meta verse transactions ... I get it though, you don’t understand what any of that means, well you’ll see ... either those invested in the above are wrong and will lose billions of dollars or will be the entrepreneurs to capture the next big market before anyone else

The only question is

which one are you
Yes there are stories of people making tonnes of cash and those people are oh so keen to tell everyone (because it helps them, not you).

It's fun but not for me or most people.

•••
Indeed, that's why it's quite pointless and doesn't interest anyone.

Agreed

Cause they already have the most valuable domain name extension and there is no opportunity to be found. They are already at the mouth of the bottom of the funnel of money due to their position.

The fact that people are using crypto as vehicle to trade and profit in fiat currencies is a travesty. Completely against the spirit of bitcoin and decentralisation. As for the banks... those that control the money supply and governments have their beady little eyes and control (through regulation) over the points of interest to them (where fiat becomes crypto and vice versa) and the dissemination of the funds that have been exchanged. The companies involved that are BEGGING for regulation are just as bad. So no, it's not ground breaking, it's the same old same old speculation with the illusion of legitimacy and privacy with the same groups profiting. NFTs being "lost" wtf...?

This whole Etherium and domain name connection... when I say that people care very little about NFTs and crypto, far fewer people care about domains on the blockchain 🥱.

Yes there are stories of people making tonnes of cash and those people are oh so keen to tell everyone (because it helps them, not you).

It's fun but not for me or most people.

Wrong ... it’s knowing what’s authentic and what’s not, it’s no one’s problem but your own ... And if you can’t tell the authenticity of a product, you shouldn’t be buying it, plain and simple

There’s no opportunity to be found ? In which case MAD ...

I represented AI.com and Nividia the king of artificial intelligence passed on the name

I represented 77.com and Bank of Japan 77 passed on the name

I represented Blue.com and the blue man group passed on the name

I represented SW.com and presented the name to both Smith & Wesson, Steve Wynn, and South West Airlines ... Southwest was the only one that offered me $100,000 after one year when I already had an offer of $500,000 in China ... that same name sold within one year for $650,000 in China ...

I represented HH.com to Hermes, Hilton Hotels, Hyatt Hotels, they couldn’t fathom why the price was $5M much less $1M ...

Have you ever gotten a million dollar offer on a domain name ? I have, and when I got a $3,000,000 offer in cash for VR.com from Xiaomi - the owners “anything.com” passed on the offer ...

So really where is the opportunity ? Because as far as I can see unless you’re a big shot in the industry your chances of getting a multi million dollar deal done are slim to none

I have a challenge for you, show me 5 great .com names here that are for sale / single keywords preferred, can you manage that and can you list their prices as well ... I want to know what you consider great

1B sites online, 310M domains in current circulation, over 100K business’ created everyday and in order to be successful you need to be online > why do you think endusers are buying brandable names now ?

Last edited:
•••
I'm not even a fan of .NET, but...
Show attachment 209229

Convinced yet?

LOL You'd think this would be a huge clue, but no.

The day more than 8 people and their dog care about attaching a domain name to an ETH wallet (aka never) is the day .COM does it and nobody even remembers .XYZ can.
wake me up when it happens

•••
•••
What point are you trying to make? It doesn't matter whether you know if someone owns a picture of a monkey or not. It only matters to people that are making money out of it.

My point is the same point I have made to you time and time again

The internet is over populated ... hence we have new .extensions in the picture yet you and many .com investors balk at the idea that there is any value to be had while you all sit on your ass and indiscriminately talk trash about others investments whilst supporting your lord and savior ... Verisign ... who doesn’t even support your own lingo, otherwise why would they publicly announce to their shareholders .com is running out and hence they had to secretly purchase .web for $100M + / just to keep the ship afloat ... so much so that they didn’t bother to reinstate their contract with the island of Tuvalu ... to resell .tv domains ...

You fail to see the bigger picture MAD, the internet cannot rely upon one single extension, .com ... wouldn’t make any sense in the world, we would have warzones over who owns what and in your universe we would see business names like 12356ABCDZ.com

So back to my test - 5 great .com names and their prices

Last edited:
•••
My point is the same point I have made to you time and time again

The internet is over populated ... hence we have new .extensions in the picture yet you and many .com investors balk at the idea that there is any value to be had while you all sit on your ass and indiscriminately talk trash about others investments whilst supporting your lord and savior ... Verisign ... who doesn’t even support your own lingo, otherwise why would they publicly announce to their shareholders .com is running out and hence they had to secretly purchase .web for $100M + / just to keep the ship afloat ... so much so that they didn’t bother to reinstate their contract with the island of Tuvalu ... to resell .tv domains ...

You fail to see the bigger picture MAD, the internet cannot rely upon one single extension, .com ... wouldn’t make any sense in the world, we would have warzones over who owns what and in your universe we would see business names like 12356ABCDZ.com

Verisign are in a position that if they make big changes too quickly then they will wreck their existing cash cow. .COM is over populated... I'm not saying that's a good investment either at this point. I don't indiscriminately talk trash, I give my opinion.

I'm not surprised that they want some other extension to push, but even .web is rubbish as an investment, it won't be the powerhouse of .COM... nothing will. ICANN delegated loads of domain name extensions and none of them have succeeded in a big way. They have basically made domain name investing a lot harder, which is why .XYZ isn't going to be some huge success given their pricing models and the shear number of possible domains that one can buy as an alternative to .COM.

.XYZ is one of the worst of those delegations IMHO.

Also, if you believe that metaverse is something great when it doesn't even exist, it's as bad as being a flat earther.

Last edited:
•••
I can give you 5 awful domains in an awful extension and their alleged pricing:

fuku.xyz - 9,888 USD
beem.xyz - 14,888 USD
kindred.xyz - $27,888 USD
campground.xyz - $27,888 USD
fractional.xyz - $14,888 USD

I can think of better domains to buy in different extensions that would be better value for money and more memorable and better looking.

Last edited:
•••
Verisign are in a position that if they make big changes too quickly then they will wreck their existing cash cow. .COM is over populated... I'm not saying that's a good investment either at this point. I don't indiscriminately talk trash, I give my opinion.

I'm not surprised that they want some other extension to push, but even .web is rubbish as an investment, it won't be the powerhouse of .COM... nothing will. ICANN delegated loads of domain name extensions and none of them have succeeded in a big way. They have basically made domain name investing a lot harder, which is why .XYZ isn't going to be some huge success given their pricing models and the shear number of possible domains that one can buy as an alternative to .COM.

.XYZ is one of the worst of those delegations IMHO.

Also, if you believe that metaverse is something great when it doesn't even exist, it's as bad as being a flat earther.

I am not a proponent of the metaverse ... I’m simply stating what is hot and what ramifications it will have when it comes to domain investing

I’m glad though to see that a serious .com investor can see the obvious, when it comes to Verisign

Last edited:
•••
I can give you 5 awful domains in an awful extension and their alleged pricing:

fuku.xyz - 9,888 USD
beem.xyz - 14,888 USD
kindred.xyz - $27,888 USD
campground.xyz - $27,888 USD
fractional.xyz - $14,888 USD

I can think of better domains to buy in different extensions that would be better value for money and more memorable and better looking.

Here I’ll give you an idea / these are on SEDO right now ...

whisky.com - $1,200,000

(Been for sale how long now) ?

techs.com - $1,500,000

etaxi.com - $750,000

criticalsupplies.com - $500,000

baybola.com - $100,000

•••
Here I’ll give you an idea / these are on SEDO right now ...

whisky.com - $1,200,000

(Been for sale how long now) ?

techs.com - $1,500,000

etaxi.com - $750,000

criticalsupplies.com - $500,000

baybola.com - $100,000
They're for sale for that price cause they got in at the right time. It's nice to know at least one extension holds serious value. I don't see any other extensions that do.

•••
So wait Has it Failed Lately ... No
Are people still buying it ... probably
Are people using it ... Sure

So why you think its failing

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back