Dynadot

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

NameSilo
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well, one only has to take a trip back in memory lane if you were around for it, or ask someone that was there for it in domains as the term 'cyberspace' was a/the thing. And cyber for short.
This looks a lot like that one. Except nobody (that I know of) named their co 'cyber'. LOL

I know there will be those that will say that this is different, and I am all ears/eyes !

The term metaverse will be with us for a long time. Till something new steals the show.
I think my comparison of cyberspace is very relevant.
Just speculative investing at this point. When we see them at end use, that will change things some.

These are good points. Even if the Metaverse does prove to have longevity as a term, I think after this initial hype is over, the VR (and then AR) names, and even XR names, will come back to the forefront at least for a good few years.

A lot will surely depend if Apple uses the term. I find it hard to see with the 'Metaverse' being tied so closely to 'Meta'/Facebook, that their rivals are all going to accept it. Microsoft and others have joined in the hype for now, probably to gain some attention back to their products, but not so sure in the long run.

I remember we had the same discussion over Holo when Microsoft branded their headset the HoloLens.

•••
These are good points. Even if the Metaverse does prove to have longevity as a term, I think after this initial hype is over, the VR (and then AR) names, and even XR names, will come back to the forefront at least for a good few years.

A lot will surely depend if Apple uses the term. I find it hard to see with the 'Metaverse' being tied so closely to 'Meta'/Facebook, that their rivals are all going to accept it. Microsoft and others have joined in the hype for now, probably to gain some attention back to their products, but not so sure in the long run.

I remember we had the same discussion over Holo when Microsoft branded their headset the HoloLens.
I had pointed out on the last page that Apple indeed owns meta names and they have had that and many others for more than a decade. But what will they do with them ?
Apple can brand a banana so I'm not sure what they need them for at this point.

While everyone at this point is still in WOW mode, I see more use in actual practice with names like/with HOLODECK. I don't expect a good reaction to that statement as it is not the hot word of the day. But we have seen it before, haven't we.

•••
•••
•••
Lot of Apple headset rumors emerging the last week. Firstly, that contrary to previous assumptions that it would laregly be an ultra-expensive developer's tool used largely for business applications, it's now being reported that it will be geared towards games and media consumption and may sell 4 million units in 2023, which would be comparable to the Quest 2 in its first year. Also that Apple are already working on the lighter, faster second version for release in 2024. https://www.macrumors.com/2021/12/08/kuo-second-generation-apple-ar-headset/

•••
I have sold all but one of my metaverse. gTLD's, however, one is on a payment plan and one is currently at auction with reserve met. May be the last reasonably priced gtld with that name ...LOL
Many here might say I sold them cheap... but I did sell them, and for a very nice ROI ! Not looking back.

Was a nice short play for me. I think I paid 2 years of registration on them all with the first yr not yet expired.
Moving on for me with the proceeds and some other block of gTLD's..

•••
I have sold all but one of my metaverse. gTLD's, however, one is on a payment plan and one is currently at auction with reserve met. May be the last reasonably priced gtld with that name ...LOL
Many here might say I sold them cheap... but I did sell them, and for a very nice ROI ! Not looking back.

Was a nice short play for me. I think I paid 2 years of registration on them all with the first yr not yet expired.
Moving on for me with the proceeds and some other block of gTLD's..
Which ones, if I may ask?

•••
Which ones, if I may ask?
At this time, I will only say the one that is left is .email
I don't see that as any prize, but things could change before expiration. It actually was some kind of mistake when I reg'd it. No high hopes for it.

To further explain my position...
Priced to sell in a heated market, which I still believe is a bit premature and overpriced.
My thinking was that if I can get 1/2 of what 'I feel they 'might be worth' 8 years from now without the wait,
why wait?
I'm sure that does not fit others thinking and to each their own.
Hard to put a value on working cash on hand today, and a 5% reinvestment.
Goes back to some old thinking of mine, which is often, you only get one good shot at selling a name.
Most are not 'stellar names' even as we like to think so.
I still hold some 2 word .com's as well. Those will have to wait it out I guess. I don't see a 'sizeable' market for end users for a few years (for this keyword) and I would sell them at investor pricing similar to above near term.
I will say that it has been a long time since we had a domain rush and i hope those newer to this will pay attention to all the details, It's not over yet, and it will happen again.

•••
I have put together some more 'packages' with .com's and gTLD's once again. ie
HolodeckVacations
VacationHolodeck

Holodeck.vacations

While you can argue if that will indeed be a 'thing', you can't argue that if it is, it has exponential value.
For me, not a question of if, but when?

At one time, it was a big deal when a new TLD came around once a year. Now we see them multiple times a month. There are hundreds of them. All of this I mention to make the group think about protecting whatever names you hold dear against a short cut. It appears you need to review the gTLD's on occasion just to help protect what you have been holding long.

•••
is there any use of the acronyms VRX or OR to stand for some type of Reality?

•••
VRX – Virtual Reality Exchange
Take a look at this site.
vrx dot ca

•••
VRX – Virtual Reality Exchange
Take a look at this site.
vrx dot ca
that's cool! I think they used VRX because it used to be Virtual Racer X.
But they indicate "experience" all over their website, maybe the X can be Experience.

•••
Of course the year is not over yet, but, we have some interesting news to cap it off.

First volumetric movie (way cool)
https://uploadvr.com/volumetric-vr-movie-construct/

FB/Meta under watchful eyes for antitrust /acquisitions
https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/16...t-probe-meta-deal-vr-fitness-app-supernatural

I will still repeat that more competition is better for names. Mergers, while they advance things in the here and now, stifle the need for names in the long run (as well as choices and jobs).

Linux need not be left out... New kickstarter !
https://www.roadtovr.com/simula-one-linux-vr-headset-kickstarter/

and there is still plenty of click bait on Apple MR if you dare !

One more sales report from DNJ for the year.

Honestly, I am awaiting the sales numbers for HMD's from the holiday season that should be out in feb/march.
(unless someone gives early estimates) That should tell us how the next year will go for us in the 2nd half.

•••
•••
It is better to give than receive...

But I gotta say, I like receiving ! The joy and bliss of others.

The best of sales to you, enjoy the time with friends and family.

Merry XMAS !

•••
•••
•••
•••
Hope you all had a great set of holidays. And cheers... here is to what looks like a very good new year.
Meta names still in the headlines as of the last report from the DNJ. Topping the list...
MetaverseGroup @ $75K us https://dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm
A few other meta names made the list, but that is quite a hit. Presently, it does not resolve.
Sorry, I am skeptical that it is a actual end user. Keeping tabs on it just the same.

So, we have the next event to look forward to...
CES 2022
https://www.ces.tech/Topics/Immersive-Entertainment/Augmented-Virtual-Reality.aspx

I don't see any big headlines coming for us this year from the event with exception to new makers trying to put a mark forward with their tech. At least in our niche.
However, I do expect announcements of things to look forward to by some of the big players to keep themselves a story going forward with the the 2-4 months following the show for some actual meat for those taters !
I'm still watching for more content going forward as that will sell names in volume if we should see it.

Just something additional for everyone to digest, we are probably only a year from 3rd gen hardware. And for those of you that know the trends, that is where it all gets interesting.

•••
Hope you all had a great set of holidays. And cheers... here is to what looks like a very good new year.
Meta names still in the headlines as of the last report from the DNJ. Topping the list...
MetaverseGroup @ $75K us https://dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm
A few other meta names made the list, but that is quite a hit. Presently, it does not resolve.
Sorry, I am skeptical that it is a actual end user. Keeping tabs on it just the same.

So, we have the next event to look forward to...
CES 2022
https://www.ces.tech/Topics/Immersive-Entertainment/Augmented-Virtual-Reality.aspx

I don't see any big headlines coming for us this year from the event with exception to new makers trying to put a mark forward with their tech. At least in our niche.
However, I do expect announcements of things to look forward to by some of the big players to keep themselves a story going forward with the the 2-4 months following the show for some actual meat for those taters !
I'm still watching for more content going forward as that will sell names in volume if we should see it.

Just something additional for everyone to digest, we are probably only a year from 3rd gen hardware. And for those of you that know the trends, that is where it all gets interesting.

MetaverseGroup is to an end user.

•••
•••
MetaverseGroup is to an end user.
Could very well be but I'll believe it when I see it in use. I will not assume. That seems to get folks in trouble.
So far I have not seen one over 5K in use for anything but traffic soaking. But there may be a couple.
I'm still holding out hope that it is !

•••
Could very well be but I'll believe it when I see it in use. I will not assume. That seems to get folks in trouble.
So far I have not seen one over 5K in use for anything but traffic soaking. But there may be a couple.
I'm still holding out hope that it is !

Its my sale. MetaverseGroup.io bought it

•••
Its my sale. MetaverseGroup.io bought it
Well congratulations.
So I wonder what their primary identity will be ? Obviously, one is going to forward to the other.
Not a new player. Just saving themselves from a traffic soaking and identity loss. That has value.
Not a Alt media co but alt money....LOL They do crypto

Last edited:
•••
Just wondering what you think of hifiVR.com

Haven't seen much hifi keyword sales but I see hifi/high fidelity a lot in metaverse tech articles...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back