IT.COM

question How does that dns thing work ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

zeff

Established Member
Impact
Hi everyone,

Was wondering if i could set this up on my website but i don't know how this works:
If i set up the dan (or other marketplace) dns on one of my domains, this domain appears on a dan landing page if i type this name on the adress bar.
How does this work ? and what do i need if i want to do this for my own website ?

Thanks in advance for your answer !

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
DNS is nothing but the address book on the internet which has the domain name and the IP address of the server(or local network).
Each server normally has 2 IP addresses - NS1.zzzz.com and NS2.zzzz.com
When you change your DNS entries you tell the public to go to the server that you host your content.
Let say your domain name is MyDomainName.com
Once you have the domain name you can change where the content will be hosted in this example I will use DAN
ns1.Dan.com
ns2.Dan.com
Your ISP (Internet Service Provider will have a copy of the DNS

So when the public type in MyDomainName.com it will look for the DNS entries
ns1.Dan.com 134.125.2.14
ns2.Dan.com 134.125.2.15
and go to the IP address where the Server is.
The reason is we like to remember the name "MyDomainName.com" but the computer only like the number (IP address) 134.125.2.14

•••
Thanks very very much Johnn !

So let's say my website is called MyWebsite.com. If i pick the DNS of MyWebsite.com and set them on MyDomainName.com, ThisDomainIsForSale.com, DomainForSale.com and the rest of my portfolio, these domains should redirect to MyWebsite.com.

I still don't catch how i get a landing page of one of the domains i list on MyWebsite.com
If I was on dan i would have something like: Dan.com/buy-domain/MyDomainName.com if i type MyDomainName.com on the address bar.

How can i get the same thing but instead of Dan it would be MyWebsite.com/MyDomainName.com ?

Thanks in advance

•••
The dns is the ip addresses where the server is whether it’s a website, landing page or whatever.

•••
Just that the actual site doesn't have to be hosted where the DNS servers are hosted.
You could use Epik as your registrar and Cloudflare for DNS but host your site at OVH and have your emails hosted at Gsuite for example.

And if you want a redirection logic, you'll likely make that with a web server, not a DNS server.

•••
The dns is the ip addresses where the server is whether it’s a website, landing page or whatever.
Thanks Johnn for your answer, that's very clear (y)

•••
Just that the actual site doesn't have to be hosted where the DNS servers are hosted.
You could use Epik as your registrar and Cloudflare for DNS but host your site at OVH and have your emails hosted at Gsuite for example.

And if you want a redirection logic, you'll likely make that with a web server, not a DNS server.

Thank you Gube ! i was focused on DNS but i've tried to redirect and that works (y)
Would you know how the domain name i've redirected could be displayed on the redirection page ?

Thanks in advance

•••
my website is called MyWebsite.com. If i pick the DNS of MyWebsite.com and set them on MyDomainName.com, ThisDomainIsForSale.com, DomainForSale.com and the rest of my portfolio, these domains should redirect to MyWebsite.com

You are confusing DNS and server directives.

DNS, which is the Domain Name System, translates human-readable addresses to numbers and back again. So you point your web site (human readable) at the IP address (numbers and dots) of the server where you want to host it using DNS settings.

If you want other domain names to show that same site content, in other words they actually resolve to that same site, you use the directives in the virtual server directory of your server software, which could be Apache, NginX or any other server software. (Can't remember how NginX works exactly 'cos I haven't used it since the PHP-FPM module became available for recent versions of Apache).

I've tried to keep that as simple as I could. Neither DNS nor server configurations are simple concepts to grasp on day one. They are each a complete study topic in themselves.

Last edited:
•••
Mike, that's very well explained !
So now i have to know how a server software works if i wanna set up my domains on the same site content.
Thank you very much for your help !

•••
Mike, that's very well explained !
So now i have to know how a server software works if i wanna set up my domains on the same site content.
Thank you very much for your help !

You may want to install a control panel to your Linux server in this case, you will not want to add all the DNS records for all your domains manually.

By the way, more and more people now using Cloudflare to host their domain's DNS because it's much faster.

If you plan to use Cloudflare, you may want to buy a software to let you Bulk Add Domains and Bulk Edit DNS Records via Cloudflare API.

•••
Back