Dynadot

How Many Of You Are Domaining Full Time?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Nametra.com

VIP Member
Impact
Hi, All:

How many of you are domaining full time as your primary source of income?

For the FT domainers, how many domains are in your portfolio?

Many of the more successful and well-known domainers seem to have relatively large portfolios (i.e. over 5-6k domains).

Looking at the numbers, at a 1% sell through rate (which I was told by an Afternic rep is average), it seems you need to have a fairly large portfolio to net a six-figure income.

For Example:

DN Sales Analysis 1STR.jpg

Thanks for your feedback!

Andy

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So, you want to know how many domains we have and our average sale price?

100-150 domains / $20-$30 (lol)

Sounds about accurate for me. What about ROI though. I sold 6 .xyz domains last night for $100 :xf.cool:

•••
My husband has 150 names , he shares this account. His top sale thus far is 1k

•••
Thank you Clover and DeniseDahmer for sharing.

I don’t necessarily need your average sale prices (unless you want to share). I’m just curious how large the portfolios are for anyone who is FULL TIME domaining.

I have about 1,100 domains in my portfolio and even at this size it’s difficult to make a substantial profit.

•••
You need quality AND quantity if you want to build a sustainable business on passive sales.

I think a 1-2% sell-through rate is accurate when it comes to decent domains at standard end user prices ($1500 - $5K) with max exposure and priced domains.

If you own 100 .COM your renewal is around $950 a year. If you only sell one for $2,500 you have already returned 2.5x your investment. You mix in some larger sales over a year, and you are doing even better.

Also, good domains (especially .COM) tend to go up in value over time.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I spend up to 20% of my time on domains. I would like to add about sales, all the same, some part of buying or selling a domain is played by psychology and the situation at the moment (the story with the DNZ.com domain is not far off)

P.S where is the table from?

•••
Thanks bmugford and Kainazarov for your feedback!

Kainazarov, I made the table in Excel.

•••
Nobody that does will chime in just so they are left alone.

•••
To sells domains as a sole source of income is quite something. Even the veterans within the community, and professional domainers as a whole, are always doing something else (citizens of the internet, always tinkering away with something)

Domaining is a love for me, than a sole source of income. I've been involved with domaining for a fair while, owning "under" 100 domains at a time, which is tiny compared to those that are serious. This year I'd like to step it up by buying some very specific "COM' domains (a small handful), that I've set a budget aside for. I'd like to look at development. The quality at present that I own isn't at a standard for me to consider development. If I was to put blood, sweat and tears into something I love, I'd want to at least have a small bandwagon of higher quality domains, for it to be viable

A 1 to 2% sell rate is fair. Assuming you have the the quantity, and the quality

Last edited:
•••
One thing to point out is most of the people who do domain investing "full time" have other steams of income as well like side hustles, investments, etc.

Being your primary source of income does not mean it is your only source of income.

Brad

•••
Again, thanks for all the feedback!

How many of you have developed your domains and has it been profitable?

•••
Hi, All:

How many of you are domaining full time as your primary source of income?

For the FT domainers, how many domains are in your portfolio?

Many of the more successful and well-known domainers seem to have relatively large portfolios (i.e. over 5-6k domains).

Looking at the numbers, at a 1% sell through rate (which I was told by an Afternic rep is average), it seems you need to have a fairly large portfolio to net a six-figure income.

For Example:

Show attachment 213481

Thanks for your feedback!

Andy
Is your question inclusive of all domainers or just the ones selling undeveloped domain names. For example I always have less than one hundred domain names in the old portfolio at any one time. It is not a question of volume of domains but rather a question of keywords search volume of each domain name. Since I develop most of my domain names ( circa. 90 % ) in order to gain advertising revenue in the mean time and sell developed domain names at a later date. In any case I don't think the number of domain names you own has anything to do with your likely profitability. It's all about quality, and in my case that quality is measured in keywords search volume. I am not currently a full-time domainer but I was in the past and hopefully will be again this year or next year.

Last edited:
•••
To sells domains as a sole source of income is quite something. Even the veterans within the community, and professional domainers as a whole, are always doing something else (citizens of the internet, always tinkering away with something)
Domaining is not only selling mate. Agree or disagree ?
Domaining is a love for me, than a sole source of income. I've been involved with domaining for a fair while, owning "under" 100 domains at a time, which is tiny compared to those that are serious.
Disagree. You can be a successful domainer owning under one hundred high quality domain names.
This year I'd like to step it up by buying some very specific "COM' domains (a small handful), that I've set a budget aside for. I'd like to look at development.
Kudos bro !!!!
The quality at present that I own isn't at a standard for me to consider development. If I was to put blood, sweat and tears into something I love, I'd want to at least have a small bandwagon of higher quality domains, for it to be viable
For that you don't need to obsessively use dot com domain names. There are plenty of high quality domain names you can build on with alternative domain name extensions. It's the quality of the content that brings you rewards in the development sphere. Only domainers seem to obsess about dot com. Most consumers just want a fast solution to a problem. Give them that and your bank account will thank you.
A 1 to 2% sell rate is fair. Assuming you have the the quantity, and the quality
Again quality is the key. Quantity is a far off secondary consideration, as well as an administrative headache. Successful people usually develop something of value to others.

•••
Domaining is not only selling mate. Agree or disagree ?

Disagree. You can be a successful domainer owning under one hundred high quality domain names.

Kudos bro !!!!

For that you don't need to obsessively use dot com domain names. There are plenty of high quality domain names you can build on with alternative domain name extensions. It's the quality of the content that brings you rewards in the development sphere. Only domainers seem to obsess about dot com. Most consumers just want a fast solution to a problem. Give them that and your bank account will thank you.

Again quality is the key. Quantity is a far off secondary consideration, as well as an administrative headache. Successful people usually develop something of value to others.
You're right...domaining isn't just about selling. And yes, if you're fortunate to own straight high quality, fantastic. With regards to "COM", yes its the dominant. I'd venture and play with other credible extensions to mix it up (outside of COM) if it was desirable enough. Again, no arguments there. Regarding the amount of domains, yep...I think it would be a headache owning A LOT of domains for me...like thousands (I think I'd hate it, even if I miraculously made it work)

Last edited:
•••
some part of buying or selling a domain is played by psychology and the situation at the moment
This is why domain valuation tools will NEVER, and can never, be 100 % accurate.

•••
You're right...domaining isn't just about selling. And yes, if you're fortunate to own straight high quality, fantastic. With regards to "COM", yes its the dominant. I'd venture and play with other credible extensions to mix it up (outside of COM) if it was desirable enough. Again, no arguments there. Regarding the amount of domains, yep...I think it would be a headache owning A LOT of domains for me...like thousands (I think I'd hate it, even if I miraculously made it work)
Quality. What is quality ?

noun

" 1. the standard of something as measured against other things of a similar kind; the degree of excellence of something. "

I would say quality is more about the key word than the extension. One of the keys to domaining is considering your audience. Does the average person care if it's dot com, or dot net, or dot org, or dot io, or dot xyz, or dot co ? I don't think 90 % of people actually care. They just want a solution to a problem, an answer to a question or a quick fix. Here in the U.K. we prefer dot co dot uk but anything that looks legit will be accepted. Don't obsess about dot com. You'll find plenty of gem keyword domain names at much lower prices which get the job done just as well, especially if you are developing for profit or/and onward sale.

•••
I'm a full time domainer since 2010 and currently holds 6,800+ domains.

Last year I had around 2.25% of STR.

For the last few years, the net income is into 6 figures.

•••
Would love to do this full time but I'd probably need be full time to get to full time. Yeah, I know how much sense that makes!

•••
The quantity and average price can not determine the selling rate. The key is the quality of the domain name. Stay away from the domain names with high renewal price as far as possible.

•••
Many do a lot of things full time because they cannot find a job

•••
Thanks @Nametra.com for the thread.

I am a full time investor with a small portfolio of 4.5K names. It is now very difficult to scale portfolio and really time consuming plus requires good investment.

Developed a small Google Sheet so that domain investors can run own scenarios. Here is a link

Projected Domain Income

Please report any errors and make a copy for yourself.

•••
Thanks @Nametra.com for the thread.

I am a full time investor with a small portfolio of 4.5K names. It is now very difficult to scale portfolio and really time consuming plus requires good investment.

Developed a small Google Sheet so that domain investors can run own scenarios. Here is a link

Projected Domain Income

Please report any errors and make a copy for yourself.

How do you address your acquisition costs? Or is this model based solely on hand registering domains? As an example, if you paid $50 each on average to get the names, at 500 names you are already negative 25k.

I’m a spreadsheet guy, so definitely going to take this and build on it, thanks.

People need to remember to take out commissions as well 2k sale price is net $1600 at someplace like Afternic.

•••
How do you address your acquisition costs? Or is this model based solely on hand registering domains? As an example, if you paid $50 each on average to get the names, at 500 names you are already negative 25k.

I’m a spreadsheet guy, so definitely going to take this and build on it, thanks.

People need to remember to take out commissions as well 2k sale price is net $1600 at someplace like Afternic.
Just the simple hand-reg acquisition cost.

Further parameters can be build into it.

•••
•••
If your portfolio is actively growing, you can't just use 1% (or whatever STR) to the year end portfolio size. It must be weighted for the year and also adjusted for the fact that it takes some time for the names to be added to marketplaces and approved for Fast transfer, as well as for being discovered by potential buyers.

Although I ended 2021 with about 15k names, the weighted/adjusted number was around 11k and I did end the year with around 110 sales at an average price of 3k. So 1/3 of a mill in sales gross before commissions. Post commissions and renewals, and before further re-investments, the net would be around 180k.

Last edited:
•••
Back