NameSilo
Watch

topdom

Top Member
Impact
You hire a webmaster, you give them a job, you may know
those languages or not, and your webmaster may add some codes
at various places maybe together with excuses about why add them,
or assuming they won't be noticable, and either via programming or social trick,
critical info of users using that site would be stolen, etc.

How can you know everything is ok.
How often would such things happen.

All registrars and marketplaces suck one way or another.
Our domains may be stolen and we may never know it,
because there would be no record of it anywhere.
Lots of other things can happen. For example they can be
Afternic enabled ec. Lots of things can happen.
This is not about domains only.

Just a general question: How surely can we trust our webmasters.
Even if they don't do anything bad, they can leave a backdoor, and once fired
for a different reason, they can take revenge.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The reality is that you can't know for sure without getting into the weeds and learning about the technologies yourself.

I run websites and you have to know what you're doing to make sure that you have a fighting chance.

It might not even be your developer that causes a breach, it could be that a vulnerability is found in the operating system of the server that your site is running on or the version of a framework and you're not up to date with the latest patches.

I wouldn't want to let other people run my websites for me, at least the only person I can blame is myself.

Last edited:
•••
Yes they can do that, I found that developers of WP themes and plugins did intentional codes to harm the website.
The only way is to find the suspicious code and investigate it or send to a team of developers and let them do the job.
This is like Windows OS allot of closed windows but with open intentional back doors, so they can remotely enter your PC when ever they want.

•••
Rarely do they do it with intent. If you asked how often to web developers build sites that are vulnerable to attacks? VERY OFTEN. You should worry about that more than someone doing it intentional.

You can also hire a coder to review code.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back