IT.COM

question How to safely selling domain+website content

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Doksdockets

Impact
I own a website with a private WHOIS and was approached by a private party to purchase it. I don't have any verifiable details about this party. I've never sold a domain or website or before. How can I complete this transaction safely?

Escrow.com seems to be the most common option. I'd feel great using their concierge service, but that doesn't cover website content. Is there a trusted service that does domain+content (without listing all the details necessary for somewhere like Flippa)? With escrow.com, is there some way to ensure that I protect myself in the sale? I'm concerned about the buyer rejecting the content but taking it, moving the domain in a way that seems like I never transferred it, or some other scam I'm unaware of.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I own a website with a private WHOIS and was approached by a private party to purchase it. I don't have any verifiable details about this party. I've never sold a domain or website or before. How can I complete this transaction safely?

Escrow.com seems to be the most common option. I'd feel great using their concierge service, but that doesn't cover website content. Is there a trusted service that does domain+content (without listing all the details necessary for somewhere like Flippa)? With escrow.com, is there some way to ensure that I protect myself in the sale? I'm concerned about the buyer rejecting the content but taking it, moving the domain in a way that seems like I never transferred it, or some other scam I'm unaware of.

I'd call or email Escrow.com as they are the best folks to answer your questions about the services they provide.

•••
I was just planning to to the same but just use Dan.com
Dan just checked that the domain has been transferred over though.
Would be interested to hear if escrow would be better for domain and content. Let me know what you find.
(I don’t think there is a good way to protect yourself and you just have to be a bit trusting).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back