HOW TO SELL BETTER - Domain listing strategy

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

TopBrandsForSale

NameFinest.comUpgraded Member
Impact
Hi, my domains are registered mostly with NameCheap.com

I listed all of them on SEDO and AFTERNIC, and I will park them also on DAN.COM

I also made a pretty simple website to give a bit more of a premium touch to my portfolio.

1) Are there any other good options to list them somewhere else to gain more exposure?

2) I read an article on this website where a user said that is better to list them only with a "make an offer" mode.

But I'm not really sure about this. Should I put a BIN price on every marketplace or leave it like this?

3) How would you price your average .com domain?

A few examples:
appbirdie.com
setshell.com
macrogarage.com

(I'm not asking specifically for an appraisal on these 3, just to understand more or less how should I price my average .com if I don't find any particular reason to think they are worth more)

Thanks to everyone who will take a minute to give me some useful advice!

:)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I keep most of my names at GoDaddy, park them at Bodis, and list them with a BIN price at Sedo and Afternic. I sometimes list other places like Dan or Flippa as “make offer “.

My Bodis parking pages link back to either the GoDaddy appraisal page (if it is more than my price) or the page to buy the domain on GoDaddy (if it is more than the appraisal price).

This way, I only have to manage prices at two places, and they are the two with the most syndication on other sites (as far as I know)

The average sell through rate on an average quality portfolio is 1-2%, so my asking price is usually 100X my acquisition cost on average.

This model has done well for me over the years.

I don’t price anything below $688 with most at $988 or more. I only drop below that if I plan to drop the name. I try not to acquire anything I don’t think an end user would pay that much for.

The names you listed don’t really fit my style and experience, so I can’t give you much in the way of advice on those other than to say that if you don’t think a buyer would spend at least high XXX on them, you shouldn’t own them.

There are lots of other models where you can sell cheaper at a higher STR, but it requires more work and difficulty to replace what you sell.

“Make Offer” is fine for super premium domain names, but most people just have no clue how to price their domains and hope to hit the lottery on something. Very hard to negotiate when you don’t have any idea what you are selling IMO

Spend some time looking through the weekly sales reports and you will get a better idea on pricing by comparing your names to what actually sold.

Good luck!

•••
first..get away from namecheap

it's a newbie trap.. til we.learn of better ui and cheaper options.. I know cause I was in that trap when I started too... then I learned. go to sav or dyna. i prefer sav.

2nd.. gd auctions is best for many.. me too.. list there first.. direct.. never mind thru afternic.. sedo is dead end for most..so is afternic unless u have bins...and dan market is total dead end..use dan only for lander if u must.. or to finalize add lead.. tho.for.landers I just recommend bodis inquiry

that's sums her up.. and remember none of anything means a thing unless u spend 1000hours of hard work learning domains..namebio...here..etc... then it's a start.

have fun

•••
''I also what is the best strategy to domain park and BIN and make offer'' Expert advice pleases..........

Last edited:
•••
I keep most of my names at GoDaddy, park them at Bodis, and list them with a BIN price at Sedo and Afternic. I sometimes list other places like Dan or Flippa as “make offer “.

My Bodis parking pages link back to either the GoDaddy appraisal page (if it is more than my price) or the page to buy the domain on GoDaddy (if it is more than the appraisal price).

This way, I only have to manage prices at two places, and they are the two with the most syndication on other sites (as far as I know)

The average sell through rate on an average quality portfolio is 1-2%, so my asking price is usually 100X my acquisition cost on average.

I don’t price anything below $688 with most at $988 or more. I only drop below that if I plan to drop the name. I try not to acquire anything I don’t think an end user would pay that much for.

The names you listed don’t really fit my style and experience, so I can’t give you much in the way of advice on those other than to say that if you don’t think a buyer would spend at least high XXX on them, you shouldn’t own them.

There are lots of other models where you can sell cheaper at a higher STR, but it requires more work and difficulty to replace what you sell.

“Make Offer” is fine for super premium domain names, but most people just have no clue how to price their domains and hope to hit the lottery on something. Very hard to negotiate when you don’t have any idea what you are selling IMO

Spend some time looking through the weekly sales reports and you will get a better idea on pricing by comparing your names to what actually sold.

Good luck!
Thank you very much for your advice!

Can you please enlighten me on this?

How much should I trust the domain appraisal tools to get a clue on my domain's values?

I actually use these ones mostly:
GoDaddy Domain Appraisal
NameWorth
EstiBot

For example, to my surprise, macrogarage.com is valued at 7,500$ by nameworth.com
While appbyter.com doesn't have much value (less than 500$)

Estibot value both of them less than 100$ and GoDaddy both of them around 1300$.

LoL what a mess :D

•••
Let me clarify since I mentioned using the appraisal landing page at GoDaddy.

Online appraisal websites are useless for actually valuing a domain name.

If it is in my favor (I.e. higher than my price for the name), I have no problem mentioning the appraisal price to potential buyers, but that appraisal has nothing to do with how I select or price my names.

•••

If it is in my favor (I.e. higher than my price for the name), I have no problem mentioning the appraisal price to potential buyers, but that appraisal has nothing to do with how I select or price my names.
Thanks again!

Maybe a good strategy to evaluate your domain could check on namebio for similar domains that actually sold and compare yours to their prices?

•••
Thanks again!

Maybe a good strategy to evaluate your domain could check on namebio for similar domains that actually sold and compare yours to their prices?

NamBio DNJournal etc. yes

•••

Good luck!
Hi,

Do you use BIN on both Afternic and Sedo? if yes, have you ever had a sale on both for the same domain?

What is working better for you using BIN, Afternic or Sedo?

Thanks

•••
Hi,

Do you use BIN on both Afternic and Sedo? if yes, have you ever had a sale on both for the same domain?

What is working better for you using BIN, Afternic or Sedo?

Thanks
Yes, I use BIN on both sites. Never had a domain sell at both venues at once (statistically almost impossible). I make sure I move to "make offer" at the other one if I have a sale pending and remove it right away once one sells.

•••
Yes, I use BIN on both sites. Never had a domain sell at both venues at once (statistically almost impossible). I make sure I move to "make offer" at the other one if I have a sale pending and remove it right away once one sells.

Hi, and how do you setup your offers on DAN or others marketplaces? Also BIN or something else?

•••
I use make offer at any other sites. I don’t want to try and manage my pricing on a bunch of different sites and most of my sales come from the 2 I use

•••
So I'm looking both on Namebio for actual sales prices and on SEDO for actual listing prices.

On Sedo, apart of the prices, what are the metrics should I look for?

Traffic and bids?

I mean if a domain has an XXXXX price but zero traffic it means it's probably useless or what?

•••

So are Human appraisals IMHO

•••
How much should I trust the domain appraisal tools to get a clue on my domain's values?

For example, to my surprise, macrogarage.com is valued at 7,500$ by nameworth.com
While appbyter.com doesn't have much value (less than 500$)

Estibot value both of them less than 100$ and GoDaddy both of them around 1300$.

LoL what a mess :D
The key with Nameworth, it seems, is that it is provides a group of appraisals appropriate to the buyer and seller situation. So if a buyer with means is immediately interested in buying a domain, the retail value may be $7500. But there are other estimates that are lower based on the buyer and seller needs.
The variability in these appraisals is sometimes puzzling, though.

•••
I use make offer at any other sites. I don’t want to try and manage my pricing on a bunch of different sites and most of my sales come from the 2 I use
Hi, sorry just to clarify...

On Afternic and SEDO you have only BIN price, or also a "make an offer" along with the BIN?

Also about the best practice for pricing strategy: if you think a domain is worth 1,000, would you set a BIN price exactly at 1,000 or higher to get some negotiation margin and get the price you want?

Or lower, to maybe get more sales with less effort?

•••
BIN price, no offers. I set the price at what I want for the name, figuring in the commission as well.

•••
•••
Hi

what i see:

you are asking questions about pricing, whether to set as BIN or Make Offer.

when you ask any individual, you will only get general info about their price settings,
but it won't get you their names.

the examples you posted, aren't really high demand keywords, so it's best to just use Make Offer on all your names, because at this point, seems like you have no idea how to evaluate them.

then or if, you get an offer, maybe ask for advice on whether to accept or not.

no other domainers portfolio is identical to another, some may have similar names,
but each will set and adjust prices according to their own "personal" metrics.

i could tell you:
i set BIN on some and Make Offer on others.
then you'll want to know, how many sold at BIN and how many sold at Make Offer.
then you'll want to know where they sold at, but you might not ask how long i had it, before it sold
or ask if the name received traffic, earned revenue or how many previous offers were submitted.
then you might ask how many names i have and how many names do i sell per year?

but you still won't have same names as mine or some other domainers,
and if you search the past sales sites for pricing info, how will you know if the names sold at BIN or Make Offer?

what i'm saying is,
it all goes back to quality and appeal of the domain, when you get better idea of where your names stand in relation to those terms, then you'll have better understanding of their value.

imo...

•••
Hi

what i see:

you are asking questions about pricing, whether to set as BIN or Make Offer.

when you ask any individual, you will only get general info about their price settings,
but it won't get you their names.

the examples you posted, aren't really high demand keywords, so it's best to just use Make Offer on all your names, because at this point, seems like you have no idea how to evaluate them.

then or if, you get an offer, maybe ask for advice on whether to accept or not.

no other domainers portfolio is identical to another, some may have similar names,
but each will set and adjust prices according to their own "personal" metrics.

i could tell you:
i set BIN on some and Make Offer on others.
then you'll want to know, how many sold at BIN and how many sold at Make Offer.
then you'll want to know where they sold at, but you might not ask how long i had it, before it sold
or ask if the name received traffic, earned revenue or how many previous offers were submitted.
then you might ask how many names i have and how many names do i sell per year?

but you still won't have same names as mine or some other domainers,
and if you search the past sales sites for pricing info, how will you know if the names sold at BIN or Make Offer?

what i'm saying is,
it all goes back to quality and appeal of the domain, when you get better idea of where your names stand in relation to those terms, then you'll have better understanding of their value.

imo...
Hi, thank you so much for your advice!

Would it make sense at this point to set a BIN price + leave also the "make offer" on both SEDO and Afternic?

Also, generally speaking, would you set a BIN on your premiums and just "make an offer" on the less valuable ones?

When listed, the metrics I should care more about the potential of every single domain are the visits and offers received right?

Last edited:
•••
Keep in mind as well, that some buyers (and sellers) don't like the bidding game at all. When I'm looking for a domain on Sedo, I disable all domains with Make Offer. Just want to put it in my basket with BIN price.

•••
Keep in mind as well, that some buyers (and sellers) don't like the bidding game at all. When I'm looking for a domain on Sedo, I disable all domains with Make Offer. Just want to put it in my basket with BIN price.
I'll keep in mind. Thanks!

•••
Also, generally speaking, would you set a BIN on your premiums and just "make an offer" on the less valuable ones?

It would be the other way around for me. Make offer for the premiums, BIN on the less valuable ones.

•••
It would be the other way around for me. Make offer for the premiums, BIN on the less valuable ones.
Yeah, it makes totally sense. Thanks!

•••
first..get away from namecheap

it's a newbie trap.. til we.learn of better ui and cheaper options.. I know cause I was in that trap when I started too... then I learned. go to sav or dyna. i prefer sav.

2nd.. gd auctions is best for many.. me too.. list there first.. direct.. never mind thru afternic.. sedo is dead end for most..so is afternic unless u have bins...and dan market is total dead end..use dan only for lander if u must.. or to finalize add lead.. tho.for.landers I just recommend bodis inquiry

that's sums her up.. and remember none of anything means a thing unless u spend 1000hours of hard work learning domains..namebio...here..etc... then it's a start.

have fun
Hi, I'm sorry, idk why but I totally missed your message.

Thanks for the help.

Actually, what do you mean by the NameCheap trap?
Is that because it's more expensive for example Dynadot?

Also, are you suggesting that the most viable option to sell is through the GoDaddy auction?

thanks!

•••
Back