Dynadot

advice How to win auction for trademarked domain name?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

skyrunning

Impact
I own a small business with the trademark on the name. The .com wasn't initially available, so I took a different extension.

Now the .com is available (since it was deleted a couple of days ago) and I "successfully" backordered it it via Snapnames. There are a couple of other bidders apparently, but this is a niche specific name for which I have the registered trademark for multiple classes - so I feel it's of no value to anyone else. The business is still young and my non .com website doesn't get much traffic - so I feel this .com has little value to anyone but me.

What is the best strategy for winning this auction? I'm completely new to this, since I'm not a domain investor. Do I bid as high as I'm willing to go in the last few minutes (as I would do in an ebay auction)? I'm worried if I put in my maximum bid now, the other auction participants will see that the name has interest and start to bid it up. When should I bid?
Thanks in advance!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would wait to the last few minutes to bid, and just min bid it up. If you get outbid, wait till the time is almost over and bid it up minimum again. If someone else wants the name too, be prepared to go on for awhile. However, if you stick out till end you may get it the cheapest.

If you bid now with a max bid you may get more attention and other people invested.

BTW, I have never done this strategy but it has worked against me many times on names I don't really want. Usually when I want a name I bid it up and try and scare people away. Plus I'm not trying to spend hours bidding on a name usually.

But at the end of the day, names will bid up the more people want them and the more valuable they are. There's not really an exact strategy that works in every situation.

•••
Good luck with your efforts to get the name! I'd suggest that you wait till the auction is just about to end to put in your highest bids and be ready to pay whatever you can afford to get the domain. Let us know how it works out here please and good luck again!

•••
I would wait to the last few minutes to bid, and just min bid it up. If you get outbid, wait till the time is almost over and bid it up minimum again. If someone else wants the name too, be prepared to go on for awhile. However, if you stick out till end you may get it the cheapest.

If you bid now with a max bid you may get more attention and other people invested.

BTW, I have never done this strategy but it has worked against me many times on names I don't really want. Usually when I want a name I bid it up and try and scare people away. Plus I'm not trying to spend hours bidding on a name usually.

But at the end of the day, names will bid up the more people want them and the more valuable they are. There's not really an exact strategy that works in every situation.
Thanks, that worked! I was able to get it for barely more than $100 in the end.

•••
Good luck with your efforts to get the name! I'd suggest that you wait till the auction is just about to end to put in your highest bids and be ready to pay whatever you can afford to get the domain. Let us know how it works out here please and good luck again!
Thank you! It worked. In the last minute, I even put in another significant increase but the other party stopped bidding after hitting just over $100 an hour prior to expiry.

•••
•••
Lady luck must be on your side! Congratulations skyrunning! I hope the name works out well for your business. Once you've got everything re-directed, your website set up and operating well I'd like to take a look at what type of business you've got online. Let me know and Best of luck again!

•••
Congratulations @skyrunning 🎉🥳

Now, when you already got your domain name, please do share a little more about your business and domain if you are comfortable.

Best of Luck!

•••
Back