vincew

Top Member
Impact
If you owned

wordword.com
word-word.com
wordword.xyz
word-word.xyz

and you were only going to sell 2 of them, which would you sell?

Would you sell

word-word.com and word-word.xyz
or
wordword.xyz and word-word.xyz?

In other words, would you sell the 2 domains that were hyphens or the 2 that were .xyz?

(note: The "word" used in all 4 domains is the same word, the only difference is the hyphen and/or the extension.)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
One of those "it depends on the word" questions

Generally, I wouldn't hold a hyphened "XYZ", nor a two word "XYZ", and I'd be careful with a hyphened "COM", making sure its appropriate. Example: High-tech, high-rise, life-size, close-up...cases like this, they're appropriate. IMO

Same word examples:

funfun.com - Nice (XX,XXX)
fun-fun.com - Ok (XXX)
funfun.xyz - Nah (take offers)
fun-fun.xyz - Nah

sanctionsanction.com - Nah
sanction-sanction.com - Nah
sanctionsanction.xyz - Nah
sanction-sanction.xyz - Nah

Again, it depends on the word

Last edited:
•••
The only thing that really has serious value in .XYZ at the moment are short domains and good single word terms.
The extension is not really popular with 2+ word terms.

Let's take an example keyword, say Carpet Cleaning.

CarpetCleaning.com is easily worth 6 figures.

Carpet-Cleaning.com I think is far better than CarpetCleaning.xyz, and the hyphenated .XYZ is not even a serious option.

For reference purposes, let's look at reported sales (from NameBio) -

14+ letter .COM have put up 175,000 sales for $180M.
14+ letter .COM that contain a hyphen have put up 7,367 sales for $4.9M.

14+ letter .XYZ have put up 39 sales for $23,100.
All hyphenated .XYZ have put up 14 sales for $2,691.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Thanks jhm and Brad, I appreciate your opinions.

I screwed up and did not explain myself properly in my first post. There are 2 different words in each domain. I should have said something like this (these are not the actual words):

cleancut.com
clean-cut.com
cleancut.xyz
clean-cut.xyz

where clean-cut is the proper spelling in the English language and cleancut and clean cut is not.

I own all 4 types of domains above (using different words than clean cut). I'm just trying to figure out whether to sell the 2 hyphen domains or the 2 .xyz domains.

•••
Thanks jhm and Brad, I appreciate your opinions.

I screwed up and did not explain myself properly in my first post. There are 2 different words in each domain. I should have said something like this (these are not the actual words):

cleancut.com
clean-cut.com
cleancut.xyz
clean-cut.xyz

where clean-cut is the proper spelling in the English language and cleancut and clean cut is not.

I own all 4 types of domains above (using different words than clean cut). I'm just trying to figure out whether to sell the 2 hyphen domains or the 2 .xyz domains.

As for these examples -

CleanCut.com is worth a lot. It is a mid $XX,XXX to low $XXX,XXX domain IMO.

This type of domain could sell for whatever to the right end user. There is really no ceiling on top quality .COM.

Clean-Cut.com is alright. It would likely sell for a few thousand to an end user.

CleanCut.xyz would have limited value. The buyer pool is way smaller.
Clean-Cut.xyz has no value.

I guess in summary, outside the .COM, the other (3) options likely have limited or no value IMO.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I am definitely leaning towards selling the 2 .xyz domains and keeping the dotcoms.

•••
I am definitely leaning towards selling the 2 .xyz domains and keeping the dotcoms.
The main issue is finding a buyer.

Brad

•••
Yup, I'll "try" to sell them. :xf.wink:

•••
Back