IT.COM

status-monitor I am amazed by Top domains here

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

HotKey

Made in CanadaTop Member
Impact
In a bad way. Bunch of gobbledygook if you ask me.

Should I point out examples, and am I alone in this? I mean come on, a top domain really should be a top domain, not the wishy-washy stuff being put in there. It seems almost we're at the point of desperation. Who's judging this stuff anyways?

We really should be setting better examples because folks use this as baseline criteria. It's important as this is a professional forum and if crap is top than everything is top. Get my point?

Do better. Nonsensical names have no place in Top domains. Even some two-worders shouldn't be there. Reason being is there is waaay better alternatives now. A top domain should be very strict, limited to the best of the best. Set a standard that must be met else we all smoking pipe dreams.

Sry for bluntness, just wanted to have it said.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Fair comments @HotKey, improvements can be made.

Often, everyone has their own view of what a "good domain" and a "top domain" is. A truly top domain, price wise, according to me at least: A domain that has an estimate / realistic potential entering 5 figures, or more.

If you're a domainer, you know the variables involved for finding that estimate, and in reality, an estimate is all you've got. Any domain can fetch a miracle price, breaking expectations (it happens, sometimes). It is wise to judge what a domain will "likely get", with regards to popular understanding. A simple poll at NamePros could be a solution (a democratic process, majority rule), before getting the official stamp as a "top domain". IMO.

Last edited:
•••
I agree with the comments made by @HotKey...I think he's bang on about what he said

Often, everyone has their own view of what a "good domain" and a "top domain" is. A truly top domain, according to me at least: A domain that has an estimate / realistic potential entering 5 figures, or more

If you're a domainer, you know the variables involved for finding that estimate, and in reality, an estimate is all you've got. Any domain can fetch a miracle price, breaking expectations (it happens, sometimes). It is wise to judge what a domain will "likely get", with regards to popular understanding. A simple poll at NamePros could be a solution (a democratic process, majority rule), before getting the official stamp as a "top domain". IMO

Alright but he could say the same thing without necessarily typing my domain into the thread.

I think that if that was his domain, he wouldn't enjoy the fact that another domainer says it's not worth being in the top domains category and hence, devaluing it.

Or am I wrong?

•••
Alright but he could say the same thing without necessarily typing my domain into the thread.

I think that if that was his domain, he wouldn't enjoy the fact that another domainer says it's not worth being in the top domains category and hence, devaluing it.

Or am I wrong?
I think he was just using it as an example, don't take it to heart. In reality, we'd love your domain to perform well, and I personally hope it does

•••
I think he was just using it as an example, don't take it to heart. In reality, we'd love your domain to perform well, and I personally hope it does

Thanks @jhm

Look, I think the discussion is legitimate and that possible improvements can be made on defining a top domain (perhaps increasing the wholesale threshold and let the domainers decide? idk)

What I don't think is legitimate is calling in a public thread a specific domain and as a domainer you can understand that every second my domain remains in this thread it damages my domaining activity.

I'm here to have a good time and relax with all, and don't really enjoy wasting my time during the weekend.

I hope that all these messages related to my domain will get cancelled as soon as possible and that OP will apologize to me privately.

Having said that, let's get back to business! :xf.cool:

@HotKey if you don't like that specific domain don't worry... I have other domains for sale ;)

Last edited:
•••
Thanks @jhm

Look, I think the discussion is legitimate and that possible improvements can be made on defining a top domain (perhaps increasing the wholesale threshold and let the domainers decide? idk)

What I don't think is legitimate is calling in a public thread a specific domain and as a domainer you can understand that every second my domain remains in this thread it damages my domaining activity.

I'm here to have a good time and relax with all, and don't really enjoy wasting my time during the weekend.

I hope that all these messages related to my domain will get cancelled as soon as possible and that OP will apologize to me privately.

Having said that, let's get back to business! :xf.cool:

@HotKey if you don't like that specific domain don't worry... I have other domains for sale ;)
❤️

•••
Apparently NP moderators won't take down OP post about my domain as it considers it personal opinion but I don't think it should be allowed to say that someone else's domain should not be in the top domains category... I mean there are thousands of way to say that the approval process of top domains can be improved without explicitly typing a domain of another user as an example.

No one would enjoy that.

I'd really appreciate if @Bravo Mod Team and @Echo Mod Team could please put themselves in my shoes and reconsider their decision.

It's not personal opinion anymore when without asking domain owner it's said that a specific domain should not be in the top domains category because of its quality.

We are not in the appraisal section. I haven't asked him an opinion for my domain. There is no constructive feedback.

All I have received from op's comment is damage.

In the meantime can't the post be edited?

I don't really think this is ethically correct

•••
i was browsing namepros and at some point clicking on one of the visited threads i see mentioned my domain without permission saying it doesn't have a certain quality.

If this is allowed it is absurd. We are in the far west 😂

I get it... all gangsta until it is the quality of YOUR domain that is questioned.

Last edited:
•••
If you said ALL of the domain names in my portfolio are not in the top category you would probably be correct and I wouldn't take offence. I have one-worders, two-worders and three-worders, and most of them aren't T.L.D. Smart people who buy domain names really could care less about anyone else's opinion. I certainly don't care if you think my domains are studs or duds. Most domainer's opinion of your portfolio value isn't worth the paper it's written on. Including mine. Toughen up and keep attacking your goals. I disagree with your attempt to have the o-p- removed. They are entitled to their opinion. After all this is a debate forum. Not an echo chamber.

•••
If you said ALL of the domain names in my portfolio are not in the top category you would probably be correct and I wouldn't take offence. I have one-worders, two-worders and three-worders, and most of them aren't T.L.D. Smart people who buy domain names really could care less about anyone else's opinion. I certainly don't care if you think my domains are studs or duds. Most domainer's opinion of your portfolio value isn't worth the paper it's written on. Including mine. Toughen up and keep attacking your goals. I disagree with your attempt to have the o-p- removed. They are entitled to their opinion. After all this is a debate forum. Not an echo chamber.
ok but what i don't understand is why typing another user's domain? is it necessary?

with all the ways there are to say that the selection method needs some improvement.

The way that post is written in my opinion really detracts from the domain and I'm not happy with it.

There is a big line that needs to be drawn between what is a personal opinion and what offends / harms another person in the community.

•••
The thing with Namepros is they are slow to react to suggestions
Think that's a tad unfair with the amount of work and limited resources they have. Not a corporation running this show my man.

•••
It was in context to this thread and this thread only, mainly calling attention to separating the wheat from the chaff in the only "Top" domains section we have here and I was providing a concrete example. No offense intended to you personally and it seems it did so apologies. But my comment stands, and the comparison made was because the line is so blurred in what is considered, in my eyes, a top domain for the section.

I think you mentioned about what would I do if it was my domain someone brought up.. well look
There is a big line that needs to be drawn between what is a personal opinion and what offends / harms another person in the community.
how do you draw that line? What if instead of being offended or viewing it as harmful, you chose to see it as reinforcing and constructive? We are different people, so we deal with how we deal with, but me YES I do care about what other's opinion may be on a domain I have posted anywhere here on the forum because it gives me a sort of pulse other than my own and could provide new insight.

If it was my domain, I wouldn't consider it for submission to that category, and if it was my forum, or I was the mod, it wouldn't have been accepted. The point of this thread is to bring attention to raising the bar for true Tops.

•••
It was in context to this thread and this thread only, mainly calling attention to separating the wheat from the chaff in the only "Top" domains section we have here and I was providing a concrete example. No offense intended to you personally and it seems it did so apologies. But my comment stands, and the comparison made was because the line is so blurred in what is considered, in my eyes, a top domain for the section.

I think you mentioned about what would I do if it was my domain someone brought up.. well look

how do you draw that line? What if instead of being offended or viewing it as harmful, you chose to see it as reinforcing and constructive? We are different people, so we deal with how we deal with, but me YES I do care about what other's opinion may be on a domain I have posted anywhere here on the forum because it gives me a sort of pulse other than my own and could provide new insight.

If it was my domain, I wouldn't consider it for submission to that category, and if it was my forum, or I was the mod, it wouldn't have been accepted. The point of this thread is to bring attention to raising the bar for true Tops.

I'm sorry mate but I don't see anything constructive in your comment.

The thing is, if I'm not drunk, I have never asked for my domain to be appraised nor discussed in here.

I get the purpose of this thread, and as I previously said it is legitimate and helpful to the domain community as a whole.

The domain was accepted TWICE, go check. When I submitted it and when the previous owner submitted it.

So the possibilities are two: NP selection team has made the wrong decision twice (unlikely), or they genuinely think the domain deserves to stay in the top domains.

This is not your domain. This is not your community. This is not your forum.

If you have anything against my domain then just complain to mods about their decision... don't just go discuss it in a public thread that everyone can see.

If you have something better, then go ahead and submit it for top domains. It won't be me to judge whether it it qualifies or not, but a team of domain experts.

The only concrete fact is that my domain got approved for top domains :)

all the rest? just words that as @Eric Lyon said are in large part spoken by those who have not had their domain approved in the category.

Last edited:
•••
Not all know it - but there can only be one top domain name, per definition!

•••
The thing is, if I'm not drunk,

I get the purpose of this thread
Sure bud. It's fine, we all piss the moint sometimes.

Maybe next time.

•••
A lot of what is asked eg appraisal is the not sure basket so they ask about their worst domains probably not their best so then the discussion is about a mediocre name.

•••
A lot of what is asked eg appraisal is the not sure basket so they ask about their worst domains probably not their best so then the discussion is about a mediocre name.
In hindsight, there's probably not as many of us who own top-tier domains like President, so I'm starting to take the approach of "at least we got something to show".

Not to demean other names, it's just such a gap in quality with the other listings that get accepted that I think it really needs a revisit on categorization with perhaps adding a new one.. maybe like a couple of sub-sections under the "Top" category. Eg, Top domains above $1000- $9999 and Top domains 10k+.

We can generally determine pretty quickly what fits in what at first glance. I do understand valuations are subjective, so it can feel restricting to place a name in one category where the seller is looking for an unlimited potential of sorts.

Last edited:
•••
Is it disclosed anywhere who is actually approving these "Top Domains"?

•••
•••
Is it disclosed anywhere who is actually approving these "Top Domains"?

Who is responsible for approving "Top Domains"?

•••
No answer by admins on who is behind the approval of "Top Domains"?

•••

Seems to be a top secret but (if it is not an AI - based process) one can assume that it is someone who (at the end) "approves" it (or not) based on his own view (what else) which is not surprising, we all have our views and except for domain names which are literally top it will always be a matter of personal view ... no one is forced to submit their domain names to nP to get them "approved" (or not) as top domain name but if someone does then s/he should accept the outcome.

Last edited:
•••
i was browsing namepros and at some point clicking on one of the visited threads i see mentioned my domain without permission saying it doesn't have a certain quality.

If this is allowed it is absurd. We are in the far west 😂

I get it... all gangsta until it is the quality of YOUR domain that is questioned.
Oh stop it.... having people DISCUSS your domain only increases the potential interest in it, it does not devalue it. Whining about it however does devalue what someone would pay in order to work with you.

A good solid domain's price is not tarnished. Your domain is only worth what someone is willing to pay. To me, it is like any other liquid 4 L. It is not a One Word .com or anything special.

What has the most impact on the domain price is YOUR ability as the domain owner to find the ideal buyer for it, for whom the name is valuable.

But discussing a name on a wholesaler forum (there are VERY little end users here) does nothing to devalue the name as you didn't have anyone giving you a $10,000 offer and then retracting it after seeing this post and then saying "I think it is only worth $50."

•••
Oh stop it.... having people DISCUSS your domain only increases the potential interest in it, it does not devalue it. Whining about it however does devalue what someone would pay in order to work with you.

A good solid domain's price is not tarnished. Your domain is only worth what someone is willing to pay. To me, it is like any other liquid 4 L. It is not a One Word .com or anything special.

What has the most impact on the domain price is YOUR ability as the domain owner to find the ideal buyer for it, for whom the name is valuable.

But discussing a name on a wholesaler forum (there are VERY little end users here) does nothing to devalue the name as you didn't have anyone giving you a $10,000 offer and then retracting it after seeing this post and then saying "I think it is only worth $50."

I thought this thread was buried by now and it was all fixed lol, but apparently I was wrong :ROFL:

Yes pal, you are right.

It's fine we all got different opinions ... me, you, the namepros top domains approval team.

You seem particularly interested. If you'd like to make an offer I'm here.

Best regards,

domain boy

•••

So the admins just ignore questions if they don't want to disclose something?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back