IT.COM

question Is it considered as duplicate content ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

zeff

Established Member
Impact
Hi everybody,

I am thinking of posting articles about domain names on a blog.
But instead of writing articles, I'd like to post contents that already exist on other websites.
Of course, if I do that, I will ask the authorization to the author of the content first.
Then, if I get the authorization, I will post a frame before the article that says that I got the author's authorization.
My question is: will search engines consider that my posts are duplicate content even if my post contains a section saying that I've been authorized to copy the article by the author ?

Thanks in advance for your answer !

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Solid maybe. If you need content, i used to go to ezinearticles.com and get articles from there. That way you only have a link at bottom to author. I would take first 3 sentences and stuff them in google search, using quotation marks to see how many other sites had same content. new articles didnt have many, but older articles and popular authors/subjuects had often over 5000 sites with that content.
Not sure how google views it, best way is to buy content, but check ezinearticles, maybe you find what you need there.
" put first few sentences in google with quotations" to see exact result

•••
Rewrite the article in your own way or use an automated service and give the author credit
Google previously indexed 300 pages for my webiste that had completely nulled articles i Don't think they care

Last edited:
•••
@ MasterOfMyDomains: thanks a lot for your answer. I didn't know ezinearticles.com, I'm gonna sure check what is offered on this website.
I am targeting also to use content from ebooks and LinkedIn posts. Don't know if search engines do care.

@ noneisnone: Yes it is what I've been advised to rewrite articles but I wanted to use the exact content to respect the writer. My only fear is that the search engines desindex the website because of this and even if I mention the author and the link of his article.

•••
you giving credit has nothing to do with google with credit or without it is duplicate content but i was never personally de indexed because of it so yeah do as you may but i wouldn't worry about it too much

like i said before if you want to play it super safe just use any rewriting service out there and for your moral compass give credit to the author :)

•••
Hi everybody,

I am thinking of posting articles about domain names on a blog.
But instead of writing articles, I'd like to post contents that already exist on other websites.
Of course, if I do that, I will ask the authorization to the author of the content first.
Then, if I get the authorization, I will post a frame before the article that says that I got the author's authorization.
My question is: will search engines consider that my posts are duplicate content even if my post contains a section saying that I've been authorized to copy the article by the author ?

Thanks in advance for your answer !

by posting a frame, if you mean iframe html tag, then it will not be duplicate content. Because iframe'd content will still belong to the site displayed in a frame, not your site. Hence, I don't think iframed content will bring any search traffic.

•••
by posting a frame, if you mean iframe html tag, then it will not be duplicate content. Because iframe'd content will still belong to the site displayed in a frame, not your site. Hence, I don't think iframed content will bring any search traffic.
Thanks very much for your answer @ poweredbyme.
I didn't have iframe in mind but this may be a safe solution. I meant by frame a text section surrounded by a frame. But it is maybe enough to insert iframe with a link to the author's website in that text section.

•••
Thanks very much for your answer @ poweredbyme.
I didn't have iframe in mind but this may be a safe solution. I meant by frame a text section surrounded by a frame. But it is maybe enough to insert iframe with a link to the author's website in that text section.

For your information, you will be unable to display all the other sites on your site with iframe. There are automated ways to prevent it such as "same-origin" http response header. iframe will not always work or may stop working at a later date when some sites implement such techniques.

•••
btw op i just checked on a site i had with duplicate content seems like google did de-index some of my pages ^^ so i was wrong

•••
Many thanks for your helpful posts @ noneisone @ poweredbyme @ MasterOfMyDomains

There are also websites that are creating articles using AI but the quality varies.

•••
Many thanks for your helpful posts @ noneisone @ poweredbyme @ MasterOfMyDomains

There are also websites that are creating articles using AI but the quality varies.
Latest trends are ai powered articles and q and a scrapers for content

•••
•••
Google will absolutely penalize your site for duplicate content. In their own words:

Please review https://developers.google.com/search/docs/advanced/guidelines/duplicate-content.
Hi @ TribeMagnet
I was aware about duplicate content, now I know where to find the google guidelines, thanks !
My question was specifically when the author of an article gives you the authorization to duplicate his article on your website and when there is a section on the duplicated article saying that the content is posted with the authorization of the author.
But I guess Google bots are not able to spot the author's authorization and will consider the article as duplicate content.
Thanks again for your contribution

•••
Hi @ TribeMagnet
I was aware about duplicate content, now I know where to find the google guidelines, thanks !
My question was specifically when the author of an article gives you the authorization to duplicate his article on your website and when there is a section on the duplicated article saying that the content is posted with the authorization of the author.
But I guess Google bots are not able to spot the author's authorization and will consider the article as duplicate content.
Thanks again for your contribution
Yeah, it's kind of two different things.
  • Same text = duplicate content to search engines
  • Permission = copyright hall pass; keeps you out of the principals office
You might also be interested in the rabbit trail of how to signal the bots for duplicate pages with a canonical tag, which has pros (you don't get penalized) and cons (original source gets the SEO power).
Have fun!

•••
Yeah, it's kind of two different things.
  • Same text = duplicate content to search engines
  • Permission = copyright hall pass; keeps you out of the principals office
You might also be interested in the rabbit trail of how to signal the bots for duplicate pages with a canonical tag, which has pros (you don't get penalized) and cons (original source gets the SEO power).
Have fun!
Thanks very much @ TribeMagnet, that's very interesting !

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back