Dynadot

question Is partnering with an existing business a good idea?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

bamboozle

Established Member
Impact
I have many domains in a design niche. I came across a person who sells courses in that design niche, but has a not-so-spectacular domain name. I'm thinking about reaching out to him for a partnership where I lease the domain to him and take about 25% of all his course sales. I'd still have full ownership of the domains and full control (I'd make sure to have this in a written contract). I guess the only thing that's of concern is being able to audit the actual sales and to ensure my cut is honored.

Throughout all this, I'd still have my domains listed on Dan.com. Only reason I wouldn't sell them to this business is because that business is not my target audience and simply cannot afford the high prices I've listed the domains for.

Any thoughts on this idea?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have many domains in a design niche. I came across a person who sells courses in that design niche, but has a not-so-spectacular domain name. I'm thinking about reaching out to him for a partnership where I lease the domain to him and take about 25% of all his course sales. I'd still have full ownership of the domains and full control (I'd make sure to have this in a written contract). I guess the only thing that's of concern is being able to audit the actual sales and to ensure my cut is honored.

Throughout all this, I'd still have my domains listed on Dan.com. Only reason I wouldn't sell them to this business is because that business is not my target audience and simply cannot afford the high prices I've listed the domains for.

Any thoughts on this idea?

Do your domains have type-in traffic? If so, you could setup landing pages and provide him with leads.

If your domains don't have type-in traffic, you're just asking the owner to to invest in a different brand. I doubt a business owner would "lease" a brand from someone but might be willing to upgrade if you could explain the value of doing so.

Last edited:
•••
Depending on the business (and if the owner would consider it), taking a share would be awesome, especially if its something you're passionate about too

However, you should be realistic on the value "you're" bringing to the table. If you're offering this "share of the business" idea, and you / your domain ain't really worth giving up a percentage of sales (from his point of view), he ain't going to take it. He'll just find a domain that is just as good, buy it outright, and keep 100% of his sales - Better for him. Its different if you're in possession of a truly premium domain. If you owned "beds dot com", you're certainly in a stronger position to discuss partnerships, than owning a average / middle of the road domain. IMO

Last edited:
•••
Do your domains have type-in traffic? If so, you could setup landing pages and provide him with leads.

If your domains don't have type-in traffic, you're just asking the owner to to invest in a different brand. I doubt a business owner would "lease" a brand from someone but might be willing to upgrade if you could explain the value of doing so.
Yes, the domains get about 500 visitors from type-in traffic according to Dan (could be bots).

Thanks for the lander suggestion! I was thinking about redirecting to the site, but landers seem much better.

Last edited:
•••
Yes, the domains get about 500 visitors from type-in traffic according to Dan (could be bots).

Thanks for the lander suggestion! I was thinking about redirecting to the site, but landers seem much better.

You could even ask the client design them :)

•••
Years ago, I had offfered someone money (in an amount to be decided in time, or a fixed amount) in exchange for a redirect of his high ranking webpage (just one page), he responded but didn't understand what exactly I meant (and didn't have to either). It didn't go anywhere... From my perspective it was a win-win scenario, (he was wasting his seo power),
but from his perspective it was probably like: what are you talking about, what is your true agenda..

Probably not worth doing it. Risks for both sides.

It is like, you allow a stranger to stay in your house, and in exchange he would help with housework and you would save time this way.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back