Dynadot

question-answered Is word meta TM?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Is meta a TM word? Can I register domain containing this world for e.g. metaworld.com

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No, you can't register metaworld.com unless you have a time machine. See you in 1994.

•••
It depends on the domain, I am no lawyer. Facebook have paid millions to dominate this word with regards to trademark, but its just so generic. If you had a brand like "meta chair" for a chair business (totally unrelated to Facebook / what they do), I don't see much of a case. When you registered the domain and your intentions play a part too. IMO

Last edited:
•••
In the period prior to the name change to Meta, the company quietly bought meta* and metaverse* related domains through a third party. At the time, the company did not want to make the upcoming name change public yet. The situation after the name change is now different. In any case, make sure that you never approach the company yourself to sell your meta* domains to them. Furthermore, in general, the term metaverse is much less claim-prone than meta, with the caveat that it depends a lot on the exact combination you make, the date you registered or bought the domain, and the content that is on your lander (including any automatically generated parking advertisements).

Last edited:
•••
Back