IT.COM

.MARKETING domains: Are they worth purchasing for a personal brand?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

scotch

Established Member
Impact
Hi, I am a new member here!

I was reading the forum for quite some time but haven't really found any topics on .marketing domains.

What is the overall consensus on .marketing domains from the personal brand perspective?

Getting a domain with a first name is quite difficult on .com, net etc. But if one is involved in the marketing, alex.marketing, john.marketing, or scott.marketing seems like a perfect fit, imo.

Would love to hear your opinion.
-scotch

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There is basically no resale demand.

If it was an amazing combo like internet.marketing or online.marketing it is worth owning. Outside that, I would pass.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
There is basically no resale demand.

If it was an amazing combo like internet.marketing or online.marketing it is worth owning. Outside that, I would pass.

Brad
I would agree that from a resale perspective it is less valuable, but I find them quite catchy. john.marketing is more memorable than johnkenshaw.com. I think .marketing/.engineering domain can be very much used for personal branding. I looked at a few common names and many redirect .marketing domain to their personal websites, blogs, linkedins.

Last edited:
•••
But if one is involved in the marketing, alex.marketing, john.marketing, or scott.marketing seems like a perfect fit, imo.
Hi

even those examples using proper names would be vague, because you don't know "what" they are marketing.
there are only a limited number of keywords that actually fit well with the extension.

but if you like, go for it

imo...

Last edited:
•••
Hi

even those examples using proper names would be vague, because you don't know "what" they are marketing.
there are only a limited number of keywords that actually fit well with the extension.

but if you like, go for it

imo...

That is a very good point!
The thing is that I figured that before corona when we used to go to conferences and group meetups, it was quite challenging adding ppl on social networks.
"Add me on LinkedIn as John Kenshaw", and the others would be "can you spell your last name?", it just becomes a mess.

But having a domain john.marketing, or phil.marketing, something that is easy to spell would make, contact sharing much easier. If one is engineer, then john.engineering or even, john.mba (if he is an MBA) would be pretty easy to spell and remember.

This is something I thought.

Last edited:
•••
But having a domain john.marketing, or phil.marketing, something that is easy to spell would make, contact sharing much easier. If one is engineer, then john.engineering or even, john.mba (if he is an MBA) would be pretty easy to spell and remember.
Hi

if.... someone has to type-in those domains, then it's possible they may misspell "marketing or engineering" or forget to put the "dot" after john, and type in johnmarketing.com.

as is, the general public isn't familiar with or/nor do they have the same "trust factor" that's already established with traditional tld's

not trying to discourage you, just speaking about what's on other side of that coin, that you're thinking about flipping

:)

imo...

•••
one word - ignore it

Last edited:
•••
I would agree that from a resale perspective it is less valuable, but I find them quite catchy. john.marketing is more memorable than johnkenshaw.com. I think .marketing/.engineering domain can be very much used for personal branding. I looked at a few common names and many redirect .marketing domain to their personal websites, blogs, linkedins.
I would use johnkenshaw.com then .marketing/.engineering etc.

•••
Anything is ok for a personal brand, you can make it yours. In terms of investing for resale, that's a different conversation. I tend to look at personal stuff with a small assumption that someone else other than myself may like the domain should things change in the future, but it's not a big factor.

Other things to consider with extensions: recognition and trust... meaning, even if it's for personal use, you still want it memorable enough for folks to come back to. Have never been a fan of "ing" ending in extensions as there's too many better alternative naming.

•••
I have a few which i am most happy with.
site. free. webmaster.

•••
There definitely is not much demand on the market for them. I have Toronto dot marketing and I have not seen much action in terms of inquiries.

•••
Back