Dynadot

NameSilo's Stupid Renewal Refund Policy

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LarryDomain

Top Member
Impact
So today I went through my emails and saw that I had an email from NameSilo renewing a few domains that I had with them. Well I didn't want those domains renewed and they were to expire on May 17th, 2022. Namesilo renewed them and when I contacted them today, 5 days later. They said they couldn't give me a refund because they had a 48 hour refund policy. Well my domains were not expired yet so I haven't used their service yet, what's the big deal?

Are they really this desperate to try to rob customers from a few dollars? No where on their website or emails state that they have a 48 hour refund policy on services that hasn't even started yet.

Well I filed a dispute with Paypal and decided to share this info with the rest of you since I'm having an irated day with this company.

Besides that, everyone have a great Mothers day weekend!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So today I went through my emails and saw that I had an email from NameSilo renewing a few domains that I had with them. Well I didn't want those domains renewed and they were to expire on May 17th, 2022. Namesilo renewed them and when I contacted them today, 5 days later. They said they couldn't give me a refund because they had a 48 hour refund policy. Well my domains were not expired yet so I haven't used their service yet, what's the big deal?

Are they really this desperate to try to rob customers from a few dollars? No where on their website or emails state that they have a 48 hour refund policy on services that hasn't even started yet.

Well I filed a dispute with Paypal and decided to share this info with the rest of you since I'm having an irated day with this company.

Besides that, everyone have a great Mothers day weekend!!
so did you have them set to auto renewal and them forgot?

•••
so did you have them set to auto renewal and them forgot?
I think they set that by default when you register.. that's besides the fact that the domains are still not expired yet and if I asked for a refund before they began the new year, it shouldn't be an issue. Godaddy has no issue with this.

•••
I think they set that by default when you register.. that's besides the fact that the domains are still not expired yet and if I asked for a refund before they began the new year, it shouldn't be an issue. Godaddy has no issue with this.
i'm not sure how they configure new domains, but they do renew on the first of the month all names that are set to expire in that month. all that are set to auto renewal that is. i know you don't want to read this but if they were set to auto renew in may you can't really blame them for carrying out your wishes. you should have changed your renew settings. i turned some of mine on and off earlier this year.

•••
i'm not sure how they configure new domains, but they do renew on the first of the month all names that are set to expire in that month. all that are set to auto renewal that is. i know you don't want to read this but if they were set to auto renew in may you can't really blame them for carrying out your wishes. you should have changed your renew settings. i turned some of mine on and off earlier this year.
What part of them automatically setting it up to auto renew by default did you not understand? Also what part of service was never used did you not understand? You sound like you work for them. How does charging a customer for services they have not used make any sense? I am 90% sure you work for them. You seem to ignore all the points I made about NO WHERE is it shown that there is a 48 hour refund policy.

Last edited:
•••
What part of them automatically setting it up to auto renew by default did you not understand? Also what part of service was never used did you not understand? You sound like you work for them. How does charging a customer for services they have not used make any sense? I am 90% sure you work for them. You seem to ignore all the points I made about NO WHERE is it shown that there is a 48 hour refund policy.
actually i think it's a 72 hr refund policy. all of this is stated on their site. it is in the terms and conditions that we all agree to but never read. quite a few companies set to auto renew and it is up to us to turn that off if that's not what we want. it happens to all of us from time to time.

•••
actually i think it's a 72 hr refund policy. all of this is stated on their site. it is in the terms and conditions that we all agree to but never read. quite a few companies set to auto renew and it is up to us to turn that off if that's not what we want. it happens to all of us from time to time.
72, 124, what's the difference. If I haven't used your service for that time period, I want my money back. That's how it works.

•••
It's not besides the fact.. it's up to you to manage your settings. Simple click, auto-renew off. Anyways, what "services" are you talking about?

•••
Exactly. You left on auto renew its your fault. They all auto renew on arbitrary dates and you are well aware of that. Instead of accepting responsibility for your error you start a chargeback?

Don’t blame the registrar you couldn’t be bothered to change your auto renewal settings the entire year.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks to Bob Hawkes , He covered this mistake recently .

1651886367289.png

1651886688131.png

•••
Same in Namebright, default setting

•••
Thanks.
Thanks to @Bob Hawkes , He covered this mistake recently .
I got caught with one unintended renewal once in my first year of domains and since then the very first thing I do when I get any domain name by auction, transfer or registration is turn off auto renew, and have it turned off by default in places that I can. Domains I really want, like my site, I have registered years in future, but don't leave autorenew on in any domain name in my portfolio.

Just because I am paranoid I also go through the registrar summary periodically to make sure I have not missed one.

Bob

•••
Might wanna make sure you don't lose your domains because you've filed a dispute with them, kinda feel like that might violate a policy? lol...

Goodluck...

•••
Firstly, thank you to the community for seeing through these false and defamatory claims. We will continue to attempt resolution with the customer directly but to clarify our policies publicly:

1 - auto-renewal is not mandatory and you have an option to enable it or disable during domain registration. In this particular case, the feature was enabled and it auto renewed the customer's domains for multiple years prior to the complaint this year. You can read additional details on our support guide.

2 - as mentioned by other users, domain renewals on our platform can be cancelled up to 3 days after purchase. However, cancelling renewals has important implications so please make sure you're certain about cancelling prior to doing so. You can read our full cancellation policy here.

3 - starting a dispute or chargeback is extremely detrimental to our ability to help you resolve issues as your account will then be treated as fraudulent. Please work with our support team at [email protected] to resolve your complaints instead of starting a dispute.

•••
Firstly, thank you to the community for seeing through these false and defamatory claims. We will continue to attempt resolution with the customer directly but to clarify our policies publicly:

1 - auto-renewal is not mandatory and you have an option to enable it or disable during domain registration. In this particular case, the feature was enabled and it auto renewed the customer's domains for multiple years prior to the complaint this year. You can read additional details on our support guide.

2 - as mentioned by other users, domain renewals on our platform can be cancelled up to 3 days after purchase. However, cancelling renewals has important implications so please make sure you're certain about cancelling prior to doing so. You can read our full cancellation policy here.

3 - starting a dispute or chargeback is extremely detrimental to our ability to help you resolve issues as your account will then be treated as fraudulent. Please work with our support team at [email protected] to resolve your complaints instead of starting a dispute.
You obviously can't read. What part of my statement is false? That's your issue, acting on assumptions and not reading and comprehending. You canceled my account and held it hostage over the weekend. When did you receive a chargeback notice? Your company is a joke and I will prove it over the next 5 years.

And I can care less what your shill posters say.

•••

It's your mistake to forgot disable auto-renewal

•••
I'm actually with the OP on this one, funny how so many registrars have these weird policies like "all renewals happen on the 1st" to trip you up combined with "you have 72 hours to cancel" to make it look like they tried. It just creates tons of accidental renewals, a high percentage of which will not be discovered until it is beyond the (also somewhat arbitrary) cancellation period. It's always some weird practice that is in the registrar's favor but is not transparent to the customer (until they get caught by it), but they feel justified because they put it in their Terms and that covers them legally when you inevitably feel cheated by their arbitrary policy that was designed to cause you to make a mistake that they knew they would profit from.

Last edited:
•••
Back