Dynadot

Nameworth...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DanBingham

Top Member
Impact
I've never liked domain appraisal tools but came across Nameworth so I thought I'd give them a try.

What has been your experience? Are their appraisal prices realistic or is it just like the rest?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Admittedly, I'm having my doubts about the valuations. I recently had a potential sale, and used their valuation tool for what appeared to be the appropriate price range. The sale never happened, despite using their parameters.
Even if their valuations are correct, if there are other estimators citing lower prices, that could be a barrier to the sale. The online valuations seem to be very variable. There are numerous comments are on Namepros discussing issues about the accuracy of online appraisal tools in general.
It would be great to hear from other folks to see if they have had any success with the Nameworth pricing.

•••
If you want your ego boosted on your domains and values, then Namesworth will make you smile.
As for realistic values...baaannt!!

•••
The guy behind NameWorth is a smart and very experienced domainer himself, Garreth.

The idea that he has is actually a good one - see how much a reseller will pay, an impulse buyer, an end user etc, e.g. not one price but the whole set of it, depending on who is buying and when. The problem is that it's just a very few basic parameters that he is considering at NameWorth (I am actually not sure you can set up more of them in one prog, and if some people have it - I see no point in going public with it for a membership fee), - and as a result the digits are very far from reality.
It's good to use it in your first few months or for a year, as exactly as mentioned - it boosts your ego and you understand how people come up with basic calculations for good names, because again - the core idea is valid.
But later you start using much more parameters, you understand brandables, niches, hyphens, you get other tools, you learn sales history, similar words, etc, - and then (and pretty fast!) you get to the point when to spot a good name you need no estimation service (none of them).

So, bottom line - if you are a beginner then nothing wrong with using NameWorth, but I hardly believe any experienced domainer is using it (or any estimation service at this point).

Good luck!

•••
Admittedly, I had concerns about the valuation tool, and was doing more research before answering the request for a price. During that time, the seller notified me that they chose a different domain anyhow. In some respects, I'm glad for them. If there are more affordable alternatives that can work for them, that's OK.

•••
Admittedly, I had concerns about the valuation tool, and was doing more research before answering the request for a price. During that time, the seller notified me that they chose a different domain anyhow. In some respects, I'm glad for them. If there are more affordable alternatives that can work for them, that's OK.

The problem with that approach is you will forever lose out sales to alternatives. We are in this business to make sales. Not to congratulate buyers for buying an alternative domain cheaper someplace else. You need to be competitively priced. IMHO. Many times, if you use NameWorth as your yardstick, you will not be competitively priced.

•••
The problem with that approach is you will forever lose out sales to alternatives. We are in this business to make sales. Not to congratulate buyers for buying an alternative domain cheaper someplace else. You need to be competitively priced. IMHO. Many times, if you use NameWorth as your yardstick, you will not be competitively priced.
Point well taken, lesson learned.

Last edited:
•••
GoDaddy & Estibot could help filter out junk, but even with that you'd be missing out on good names that sell for mid-high 4 figures. Not sure if other automated appraisals can do that.

In terms of value, totally unreliable.

imho

•••

I have no idea why you're being downvoted when you're speaking the truth. It's nice to be happy for the buyer, but not happy for your own pockets. There are so many alternatives out there that being competitively priced is the difference between selling your name and waiting to see if, not when, a potential buyer comes along.

The guy behind NameWorth is a smart and very experienced domainer himself, Garreth.

The idea that he has is actually a good one - see how much a reseller will pay, an impulse buyer, an end user etc, e.g. not one price but the whole set of it, depending on who is buying and when. The problem is that it's just a very few basic parameters that he is considering at NameWorth (I am actually not sure you can set up more of them in one prog, and if some people have it - I see no point in going public with it for a membership fee), - and as a result the digits are very far from reality.
It's good to use it in your first few months or for a year, as exactly as mentioned - it boosts your ego and you understand how people come up with basic calculations for good names, because again - the core idea is valid.
But later you start using much more parameters, you understand brandables, niches, hyphens, you get other tools, you learn sales history, similar words, etc, - and then (and pretty fast!) you get to the point when to spot a good name you need no estimation service (none of them).

So, bottom line - if you are a beginner then nothing wrong with using NameWorth, but I hardly believe any experienced domainer is using it (or any estimation service at this point).

Good luck!
This is the best response about Nameworth. Great for a beginner that's learning the ropes about how to price domain names with prices like if you're going to shoot the moon with someone that needs the domain name for future use vs you are trying to get rid of the domain name ASAP. However, just like other automatic domain valuation services, they should be taken with a grain of salt. None of them are perfect or quick fix solutions.

•••
•••
Both Nameworth and Biix are no longer online.

•••
Yes couldn't find them yesterday
Nameworth has been offline for 3 days now

•••
Both Nameworth and Biix are no longer online.
I hope this is temporary (same person runs both).

Of course no automated system can do a valuation like a human with knowledge but the Nameworth platform has/had more accurate appraisals than any other out there.

•••
I use it for a laugh and just as another data point. I think if I wait for their valuations, I might put my domains in my will.

•••
What has been your experience?
As I said above, no automated system can deliver a true value of a name but NameWorth has more realistic retail numbers than daddy or some of the others.

The thing I don't like about NW is often the data that gets returned is old. For example, on a recent check of a name it showed it being taken in about 10 other extensions/forms. Upon checking each one individually at a 'who is' service, only about half were still registered.

It is clear from that experience it is/was pulling from a previous crawl and it does not pull upon each inquiry.

•••
GoDaddy & Estibot could help filter out junk, but even with that you'd be missing out on good names that sell for mid-high 4 figures. Not sure if other automated appraisals can do that.

In terms of value, totally unreliable.

imho

Is there any way to get the appraisals from Estibot now they have crossed swords with Google, and we can no longer reach Estibot.com. I always thought they were resonable valuations. Or have they gone off line totally?

rgds
Stu

•••
Is there any way to get the appraisals from Estibot now they have crossed swords with Google, and we can no longer reach Estibot.com. I always thought they were resonable valuations. Or have they gone off line totally?

rgds
Stu
Estibot is working. Gave up on nameworth. The retail valuations are ridiculous.

Tried domain index which basically says everything is worthless but it's good to see when it finds a gem.

•••
OK I got Estibot working again. I have to say there seems to me very little change over the last 3 years based on only 1 domain. I need to use a bigger sample I think.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back