IT.COM

Newbie-friendly hosting

NameSilo
Watch

Nerevar

Top Member
Impact
I am planning to learn to build quick websites, so as to develop some of my domains for affiliate marketing.
Thinking to use Wordpress... is that a reasonable choice?
Do you know a good newbie-friendly hosting for niche websites? I need one with plenty of ready-made templates.
Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
WordPress is one of the best platforms to build websites. Its easy to customize, add themes (can be purchase on ThemeForest or custom build), plenty of plugins to help you, easy php - html editor incorporated.

If you keep it updated, you'll be secure in terms of server/host security.

One more thing about WordPress security: when a vulnerability comes out, they patch it quickly.

•••
The hosting has nothing to do with the templates. The CMS (content management system) you choose is where you will need to look for templates. Wordpress is a good choice for a CMS and there are a ton of free templates to choose from. https://wordpress.org/themes/

As far as hosting, most of the popular hosting companies are owned by the same corporation, EIG.

http://researchasahobby.com/full-list-eig-hosting-companies-brands/

I have moved all but two of my accounts away from Hostgator to other EIG owned hosting companies. The reason being is Hostgator has gone way downhill in terms of support and some of the other EIG owned companies don't seem to have suffered as badly.

asmallorange.com has the best support from what I have experienced. Quick ticket times, they don't seem to have suffered too badly since the EIG takeover.

I hesitate to recommend them, as they could go South as quickly as Hostgator did, but for right now, they seem ok.

•••
WordPress is a great choice since there is so much support and info to be found on it. It's easy to learn and you can do just about anything with it.

As for hosting, look for a host with great support, you will need it at times and poor support really sucks. Namecheap hosting has been the best I have dealt with and I have used over 20 different hosts.

WARNING, Stay Away fro any hosting company owned by EIG (Google to see the companies owned by them. Same support for almost all of them). I learned the hard way as many other have. Google them and you will see the numerous horror stories. Some people have no problems, but they are truly the lucky ones.

•••
Yes, WordPress is a good choice. It's easy to use and provide numerous options of templates.

•••
WordPress powers over 30% of the websites online today globally with over 600+ new ones built each day. WordPress would be the best platform to use for your websites as it can be very fast when on the right WordPress optimized web hosting, it is the best in SEO and if you are looking for cheap builds then I'd suggest using Elementor Pro ($49) for the year and either their free theme the Hello theme or find another reasonable free theme and you can either work off that or use one of the free layout packs within Elementor.

Divi is also another good page builder but Elementor is going to be the better choice between those two in both flexibility of use and speed.

Web hosting you will really need to do your homework because not all web hosts are created equal and while 90% claim to be "WordPress optimized" the simple truth is they wouldn't know what the term WordPress optimized meant it if fell on their head. It's just a term they use because it ranks good with Google. Most web hosts use the same tired server set up and that just doesn't fly these days with the stipulations from Google on page speed and mobile speed leading the ranking.

And whatever you do stay away from those fake caching plugins.

Also, stay away from WordPress hosting that claims it's faster while charging you $80 plus a month. The only difference between them and say hosting that costs $10 a month is they already have checked off serverside caching and have a CDN connected. You could do both yourself on the "right" shared hosting and save yourself $70+ a month while getting the same if not better page speed score.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back