IT.COM

Online backorder services comparaison and review

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Which backorder solution that gives you satisfactory results?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Snapnames/NameJet

votes
    31.3%
  • DropCatch

votes
    50.0%
  • EPIK

votes
    12.5%
  • Dynadot

vote
    6.3%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

TheBuyerz

Top Member
Impact
Hi,

I was curious about this cheap services to backorder domain names, but unfortunately they are not fast enough to catch the domain name in time, the domain name is already dropped and catched by another service (up to 40 minutes ago at the writting time), and the domain name still ACTIVE and no update yet from the registrars.

As conclusion, the catching engine give priorities to the first added domain names or perhaps those with higher BIDS first then it comes to check for others and try to catch them at their turn.

It is recommanded to use an API service in this case or a manual registration to have more luck to win the domain name.

Sorry if I misunderstand how it is working internally, but for now this is the logic behind it.

Please give your opinion on this, it is interesting to know more about this matter.

Dynadot:

YRZCBvJ.png

EPIK:
IzNckQ7.png

WHOIS:

7bhqehM.png

It is not criticism or something related, but I am after more informations to understand how it is working to sharpen my experience.

And also notice that I use all the services posted here, either for backordering or registration etc.

Thank you !

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hello,

Your backorder appears in our system and was correctly processed, but the domain was missed.

Initial registrar : Domeneshop AS dba domainnameshop.com
Caught by : Deschutesdomains.com LLC
Detected by monitoring at : 2020-08-09 20:15:53 GMT+2

The drop is mainly a game of numbers, the more registrars one owns, the more requests they can send to the registires in order to catch a name.

About update times, our system will send you an email a few hours after the end of the drop. Domains are also added to user accounts at that time.

However, I can guarantee that an API request won't beat the dropcatching system we or competitors have due to the way it's operating, with a few exceptions for names with lower demand. Beating the system by hand is impossible though.

Gube

Last edited:
•••
Hello,

Your backorder appears in our system and was correctly processed, but the domain was missed.

Initial registrar : Domeneshop AS dba domainnameshop.com
Caught by : Deschutesdomains.com LLC
Detected by monitoring at : 2020-08-09 20:15:53 GMT+2

The drop is mainly a game of numbers, the more registrars one owns, the more requests they can send to the registires in order to catch a name.

About update times, our system will send you an email a few hours after the end of the drop. Domains are also added to user accounts at that time.

However, I can guarantee that an API request won't beat the dropcatching system we or competitors have due to the way it's operating, with a few exceptions for names with lower demand. Beating the system by hand is impossible though.

Gube
Many thanks for this clear explaination on how it is working :)

It is good to know this informations so there will be no confusion, for me and for others than will be ask same question in the future.

Can you be more clear on when the drop ends please ? As I understand, it ends when it is won by one of the registrars in competition no ?

Thanks again !

•••
Many thanks for this clear explaination on how it is working :)

It is good to know this informations so there will be no confusion, for me and for others than will be ask same question in the future.

Can you be more clear on when the drop ends please ? As I understand, it ends when it is won by one of the registrars in competition no ?

Thanks again !
Absolutely.
For our system, we consider the drop as ended exactly two hours after the beginning, at 11PT time - End at 13PT time. This time is set by the registry, all registrars should monitor drops during this time frame.

There is a small delay after the drop, which can be as long as a few hours at most after which the system ends the backorders for the day (Refund in account credit if not caught, and if caught, the name is added to the user's account), we also send the daily drop email notification at that time.

Now the drop of a given domain ends when it's caught, it's exact. But the dropcatching result can only be seen after the processing delay to make it easier.

Gube

•••
Absolutely.
For our system, we consider the drop as ended exactly two hours after the beginning, at 11PT time - End at 13PT time. This time is set by the registry, all registrars should monitor drops during this time frame.

There is a small delay after the drop, which can be as long as a few hours at most after which the system ends the backorders for the day (Refund in account credit if not caught, and if caught, the name is added to the user's account), we also send the daily drop email notification at that time.

Now the drop of a given domain ends when it's caught, it's exact. But the dropcatching result can only be seen after the processing delay to make it easier.

Gube
This informations are important ... thank you for your time answering my questions, I appreciate it ! :)

•••
If you are serious about dropcatching you need to use DropCatch. They catch a huge chunk of the backordered domains. If they get beaten, it's either newsworthy or probably not a very valuable domain. Backorder price: $59. If you are penny-pinching on the price of the backorder, then you are probably not going capture many great value domains. IMHO. Of course the secondary problem is if there is more than 1 backorder for the same domain at DropCatch, then you then have to deal with the bidding. But that's the free market at work. Most dropcatchers these days hold auctions if more than one dropcatch order for the same domain, some are public, like DropCatch/Dynadot, some are in private only for those who actually placed a backorder. But DropCatch capture the lions share of drop caught domains.

•••
There is also a discount backorder where you can name your price on Dropcatch. So if you want a name you can try that too if you don’t want to pay full price. The domain would go to whoever makes the highest discount bid. If its a great name you do a regular backorder on dropcatch but as we know not every name is worth $59.

I have had names caught by Epik and Dynadot both but understand its for names no one else backordered for them to catch it. At least thats my experience. If even one person backorders on Dropcatch there is a good chance they will get it.

•••
If you are serious about dropcatching you need to use DropCatch. They catch a huge chunk of the backordered domains. If they get beaten, it's either newsworthy or probably not a very valuable domain. Backorder price: $59. If you are penny-pinching on the price of the backorder, then you are probably not going capture many great value domains. IMHO. Of course the secondary problem is if there is more than 1 backorder for the same domain at DropCatch, then you then have to deal with the bidding. But that's the free market at work. Most dropcatchers these days hold auctions if more than one dropcatch order for the same domain, some are public, like DropCatch/Dynadot, some are in private only for those who actually placed a backorder. But DropCatch capture the lions share of drop caught domains.

There is also a discount backorder where you can name your price on Dropcatch. So if you want a name you can try that too if you don’t want to pay full price. The domain would go to whoever makes the highest discount bid. If its a great name you do a regular backorder on dropcatch but as we know not every name is worth $59.

I have had names caught by Epik and Dynadot both but understand its for names no one else backordered for them to catch it. At least thats my experience. If even one person backorders on Dropcatch there is a good chance they will get it.

Thanks guys, I will give it a try!

I appreciate your valuable advices and the positive retuns on dropcatch, I can't wait for using it !

Last edited:
•••
I'm amazed to read some of what I read around here.

1. Dropcatch win more drops than anybody else. More than all the others put together maybe. But to imply they win all, or even nearly all, of them is a huge exaggeration. It is false and misleading. Also, nobody mentioned SnapNames which is the next biggest player and also by a huge margin. They alone disprove the "Dropcatch gets them all" theory. Even the relative minnows catch a big fish from time to time, albeit rarely for each of them. But enough wins to prove the point collectively.

2. You only pay the dropcatcher who wins the drop for you. There is no restriction on how many you can ask to catch a name for you. You can ask all of them who participate in the tld of the name you want, you only ever have to pay one of them at a time for each name you win, and only for the ones you win.

It makes sense therefore, if you really value any one domain, to register that name with every dropcatcher you can find who participates in the race for that tld. Bear in mind that neither Dropcatch nor SnapNames, so far as I am aware, participate in all of them. If you want an old global (.com, .net, .org), it makes little sense to miss either of them out though. They both participate in all of the old globals.

Always check which dropcatchers participate in the tlds you are interested in. I haven't found an efficient way to do that yet. My lists of dropcatchers are incomplete.

•••
Our backorders work in a similar manner to Epik's, and will show the status as 'Active' until our dropcatch process ends around 2 hours after the drop-time. The backorder would then update to 'Success' or 'Failed' depending on if we have caught the domain, or 'Auction' if more than one backorder request was made and an auction is being held for the domain.

If we catch the domain our system will also send you an email to let you know that an order has been created in your account and is ready for payment, or that an auction is being held for the domain,

•••
I just backordered a .ORG extension domain on DROPCATCH, I tried both Dynadot and DropCatch ... without any surprise DropCatch was the fastest one and just delivered while Dynadot still in ACTIVE status. BTW DropCatch charge only 15$ for a .ORG extension !

@karmaco @stub The first try gaves awesome results !

The domain name in question: Trading/Bot/.org

Dynadot:
2ewBrmk.png

DropCatch:
GUSWGUE.png

I made another test on four one: DropCatch, Snapnames, Epik and Dynadot for a .COM extension, will post the result tomorrow.

Notice that I use all the services posted here, either for backordering, marketplace, or registration.

Last edited:
•••
Another very good service that has good results is Empire Names site catchservice.com His success rate is decent and he charges $18 for a backorder.

•••
The Backordering system is extremely rigged.

Few beat the DropCatch cartel.

All backorders belong to them ($59 if caught)

Epik/Sav/DD/whoever, cant compete.

#2 even with the devil parent; Snapnames — They own 2nd most accredited-i think; stronger after integrate NJ —and private if 2 backorder;
DropCatch while best; “public” auctions if 2 BO
Snapnames’ “private” auction can save more— likely moot if/when lose to DropCatch

Backorder Domains is disgrace; state of game
more monopolized than GD general registrars.
At least i have options if want avoid Godaddy!!
Backordering, there are few options; You will likely lose the name to DC or Snap - especially 4L — DC army accredited registrars are ready.

Last edited:
•••
@karmaco @Samer Thank you for sharing your experience with us !

Everyday we learn many new things from your valuable posts and you don't hesitate to give your help and exposing your knowledge. Thanks again for all the namepros community !

Last edited:
•••
Absolutely.

Gube

Any chance you will be fixing your system for .org backorders? I can beat it all day long by hand.

I understand you cannot allocate your limited resources to just about any TLD but .org is a serious market.

•••
I would like to see if one day, there is a platform, that allow us to backorder from all DropCatcher without visiting them manually, we just need to login to the platform, and backorder the domain on that platform, after that, the platform will help us query all the DropcCatcher, like snapnames, dropcatch, namejet, etc..

•••
I would like to see if one day, there is a platform, that allow us to backorder from all DropCatcher without visiting them manually, we just need to login to the platform, and backorder the domain on that platform, after that, the platform will help us query all the DropcCatcher, like snapnames, dropcatch, namejet, etc..

Check out catch.club from namesilo.

•••
I just backordered a .ORG extension domain on DROPCATCH, I tried both Dynadot and DropCatch ... without any surprise DropCatch was the fastest one and just delivered while Dynadot still in ACTIVE status. BTW DropCatch charge only 15$ for a .ORG extension !

Never knew they charged $15 for a .org
I remember the day when I had "answers.org" on my watch list.
They caught it so fast the moment .org domains typically start to drop (the very second) - even before I could blink my eye on the screen :)
No wonder it topped the auction at over $20K

Dynadot's API is not meant for drop-catching. Their system always shows system busy or registry error during the peak time. In fact yesterday I had 20 or so domains to be regd thru their API. The API was stuck and I was even able to hand reg few of the domains I wanted from their main site manually.

Last edited:
•••
•••
For the .COM extension, I requested a backorder from EPIK/Dynadot since up to 3 days ago, and from DropCatch and Snapnames since yesterday.

For this competition, snapnames won it:

Cbl7CSB.png

So the successful backorder services for me until now are DropCatch and Snapnames.

Will post my other backorders in the topic, and will make a requests in each service listed above.

Last edited:
•••
I have been using dropcatch for long time ago, in my experience, if there are 2 or 3 , LLLL .com domain drop, Dropcatch will catch at least 1 or 2 of them.

for your case , snapnames catched yoin.com and dropcatch catched lyew.com.

For the .COM extension, I requested a backorder from EPIK/Dynadot since up to 3 days ago, and from DropCatch and Snapnames since yesterday.

For this competition, snapnames won it:

Cbl7CSB.png

So the successful backorder services for me until now are DropCatch and Snapnames.

Will post my other backorders in the topic, and will make a requests in each service listed above.

•••
Hi guys I was looking for a review post about the dropcatching model, that was explaining very well how it works and comparing all the dropcatching services (NameJet, SnapNames, DropCatch, Epik, DynaDot, etc.)

If you know what I'm talking about can you please post the link?

•••
Back