Dynadot

PeerIdeas Official Thread

NameSilo
Watch

J4wd

PeerIdeas.comEstablished Member
Impact
PeerIdeas is a free domain appraisal website run by the domainer community. That’s you and me.

This thread will be for NamePros members to post questions, suggestions and complaints about the service. I’ll do my best to answer every one.

Now on to the FAQ:

Isn’t this competing with the NamePros appraisal services?

I don’t see it that way. NamePros allows for open discussion in response to a domain appraisal request. PeerIdeas is for when you want quantitative, structured feedback. You can’t get commentary on PeerIdeas, only votes.

Besides, can a free service really be seen as competitive? 😉

How do you make money?

We don’t. Not right now anyway. The service is completely free because it’s being driven by the community. All we do is supply a platform for domain polls to be posted and for people to vote on them. We don’t actually do the appraisals ourselves.

At some point in future we may introduce advertising, or perhaps take a cut of transactions we help to close.

What’s the point of a domain poll?

Domain polls add value in a few ways:
  1. As a way of curating your portfolio. Find out what other domainers think you should keep and what you should drop. You might also find a few domains in your portfolio that you’ve under or even over-valued.
  2. As a way of identifying interest before initiating outbound sales. If the domainer community likes your domain name, there’s a good chance end customers will too. And a poor response might indicate problems ahead. You can then choose what to do with the feedback.
Shouldn’t appraisals only be conducted by those with extensive experience?

We believe that the value of domain names is subjective. Some names are easy to identify as winners and losers, but many are nuanced and require industry knowledge or experience that some will have and others won’t. There are literally hundreds of millions of domains that fall into this category.

We think that with enough votes, trends can be determined that at very least indicate a direction one should take.

In other words, we prefer quantitative over qualitative feedback.

Can my future buyers see my domain poll?

When you submit a domain poll, you can opt to hide it from search engines and the general public. If you choose this option, only members of the community can see your poll and the community results.

Can I submit domains I don’t already own?

No. For various reasons, including that you might lose the domain if someone else likes it, but also because there are many other websites geared towards pre-purchase research.

Is it meant to be for fun only, or is there an opportunity to make money?

There’s definitely an opportunity to make money. We’ve recently introduced a feature called Wholesale Offers where domainers that like your domain are offered a chance to submit an offer directly on the website.

The benefit of this approach is that domainers get to see what other domainers think before they submit an offer, so it’s a great way of identifying gems before the rest of the market does.

And it’s also a good way for domainers to quickly liquidate the domains in their portfolios that aren’t doing as well as they hoped.

Do you provide an escrow service?

No, we let members engage directly once a price is negotiated. There are many good escrow services available that can handle the transaction process.

Our goal is simply to provide sales opportunities at this time.

What are coins?

We use coins to incentivise activities that benefit the community. When you vote you gain a coin. When you list your domain, it costs you 10 coins.

When you submit a wholesale offer you gain 50 coins.

At some point we hope to offer more ways of spending coins, for instance you might exchange coins for a discount at a partner company.

---

Thank you for being a part of this journey 😀

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Told to @J4wd a month ago that I want to remove all my domains and account from the system, he said he'll do it.
Still didn't remove my data.

Very disrespectful and unprofessional!

The system is also useless and pointless.
Anyone can give any vote they want just to earn some points without even looking the domain name and analysing it.

Last edited:
•••
Told to @J4wd a month ago that I want to remove all my domains and account from the system, he said he'll do it.
Still didn't remove my data.
Apologies, slipped my mind. I have removed both.

The system is also useless and pointless.
Anyone can give any vote they want just to earn some points without even looking the domain name and analysing it.
Nobody is forcing you to use it. But I will keep it going while people continue to find it helpful.

Last edited:
•••
Feature request (urgent): There should be an option for users to delete the domain names they submitted or to hide the scores of names whose appraisal period is over. I am guilty of choosing "show my domain in google results" option while submitting, But now I regret it, as the bad score in peerideas is the first thing show up in google when somebody search for my name. This is going to hurt my sales prospects (already weakened by the bad quality). Consider this urgently.
I love your platform. Thanks for this initiative.

Last edited:
•••
Feature request (urgent): There should be an option for users to delete the domain names they submitted or to hide the scores of names whose appraisal period is over. I am guilty of choosing "show my domain in google results" option while submitting, But now I regret it, as the bad score in peerideas is the first thing show up in google when somebody search for my name. This is going to hurt my sales prospects (already weakened by the bad quality). Consider this urgently.
I love your platform. Thanks for this initiative.
Hi, DM me your domain name and I’ll set it to hidden for you. I can’t promise it will be removed from Google, but we can try.

Thanks for the feedback!

•••
Hi, DM me your domain name and I’ll set it to hidden for you. I can’t promise it will be removed from Google, but we can try.

Thanks for the feedback!

If your nginx.conf file is properly designed; you can redirect that URL to a 404 (or custom) error page, crawlers will think that page file has been removed from the server and push it back in the rankings.

Systems such as buydomains.com & hugedomains.com are already using this tactic for domain names that were sold a while ago.

•••
If your nginx.conf file is properly designed; you can redirect that URL to a 404 (or custom) error page, crawlers will think that page file has been removed from the server and push it back in the rankings.

Systems such as buydomains.com & hugedomains.com are already using this tactic for domain names that were sold a while ago.
Yes, we send all the correct signals out (404, no-index, etc), but it’s up to Google whether they listen to them.

•••
Just FYI, results aren’t available to anyone other than those who completed the poll while it was active.

So there’s no chance of a prospective customer seeing the results.

•••
Just FYI, results aren’t available to anyone other than those who completed the poll while it was active.

So there’s no chance of a prospective customer seeing the results.
It is relief to know that anonymous people cant see the results. But still kindly set the DM-ed the names hidden. Thank you.

•••
It is relief to know that anonymous people cant see the results. But still kindly set the DM-ed the names hidden. Thank you.
All done for you.

•••
I've been using the site for a few weeks and overall I really like the service but there are way too many negative people voting.

Until the domain gets enough votes which I'd say is about 50, the super negative people really hurt the results even for pretty good domains.

To counter this trend, I submitted a politically negative domain just to test and it was just rejected Ha!

•••
I've been using the site for a few weeks and overall I really like the service but there are way too many negative people voting.

Until the domain gets enough votes which I'd say is about 50, the super negative people really hurt the results even for pretty good domains.

To counter this trend, I submitted a politically negative domain just to test and it was just rejected Ha!
Thanks for the feedback, Brad. I think negativity goes hand in hand with the anonymity of votes because people tend to be more honest.

Regarding the politically negative poll, we generally reject any poll that’s about a specific person (even politicians). There’s also the risk that members will vote based on their political affiliations rather than on the name itself.

Thanks for being a part of the community!

•••
Hello Bro !
I submitted my some domain names on peerideas 10 days ago but my domains are still in pending status
I want to know how can I verify my domain names ?
Please help

•••
the service is not working anymore. I cant vote, appraise any domain. There is no list.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back