IT.COM

new gtlds Premium prices applied for standart GRS domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NetPark

Established Member
Impact
I just noticed that renewal prices of my few .trade and .party domains are increased to the premium tier price. I never paid premium tier fees for registering and renewing of these 7 years old domains. It seems registry has changed to Global Registry Services.

Have you ever heard of news that some of the domain names registered with the standard fee will switch to the premium fee?
Or is this a registry error?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Have you ever heard of news that some of the domain names registered with the standard fee will switch to the premium fee?
Interesting. I remember people were saying a few years ago that this was a possibility with the new Gs. I don't know if it has been happening, but I've been away a couple of years.

What have you been paying, and what do they want now?

•••
Interesting. I remember people were saying a few years ago that this was a possibility with the new Gs. I don't know if it has been happening, but I've been away a couple of years.

What have you been paying, and what do they want now?
GRS domains are the cheapest of new gtlds. Their premium fees also are not high either. Prices have increased from approximately $5 to $25. The interesting thing for me is that I have never encountered any information about the change of registry and the change of prices, neither via e-mail nor in social media

•••
GRS is the registry manager for the former Famous Four Media gTLDs. The ability of new gTLD registries to increased prices was discussed here and in other places a long time ago. What happened with the FFM gTLDs was very messy. ( http://domainincite.com/23302-i-was-wrong-famous-four-bosses-were-kicked-out ) and some of those gTLDs were filled with low quality registrations that did not renew. GRS has been trying to do a good job with these gTLDs since it replaced FFM. The best thing would be to contact GRS directly.

Regards...jmcc

•••
GRS is the registry manager for the former Famous Four Media gTLDs. The ability of new gTLD registries to increased prices was discussed here and in other places a long time ago. What happened with the FFM gTLDs was very messy. ( http://domainincite.com/23302-i-was-wrong-famous-four-bosses-were-kicked-out ) and some of those gTLDs were filled with low quality registrations that did not renew. GRS has been trying to do a good job with these gTLDs since it replaced FFM. The best thing would be to contact GRS directly.

Regards...jmcc
In the article it says that the owner of GRS is PwC. I did not know that. Very confusing hierarchy.

Thank you very much for your detailed information and the article you sent.

•••
Would you be willing to post the old and new prices and whether or not you were able to get any more info? I've been watching for domains that go from non-premium to premium since it was a topic a couple years ago and I've never seen one that gets switched to premium and has the price increased while it's registered.

I've seen several that I assume were dropped get changed to premium. For example:

March 30, 2022:

Code:
<DomainCheckResult Domain="wifi.click" Available="false" ErrorNo="0" Description="" IsPremiumName="false" PremiumRegistrationPrice="0" PremiumRenewalPrice="0" PremiumRestorePrice="0" PremiumTransferPrice="0" IcannFee="0" EapFee="0.0" />

March 31, 2022:

Code:
<DomainCheckResult Domain="wifi.click" Available="true" ErrorNo="0" Description="" IsPremiumName="true" PremiumRegistrationPrice="1180.0000" PremiumRenewalPrice="1180.0000" PremiumRestorePrice="1215.4000" PremiumTransferPrice="1180.0000" IcannFee="0" EapFee="0.0" />

Notice how it goes from unavailable to available? The free tool I used to check WHOIS history says it was dropped on Jan. 6, 2022, so having it released back into the pool at the end of March seems reasonable.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back