Dynadot

Problems, Bugs and Fixes at Afternic - Report Problems Here

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I suggest a new thread titled Problems, Bugs and Fixes at Afternic - Report Problems Here. Then we can all list our issues so Afternic have to fix them. These Afternic probs have been repeatedly flagged up across numerous threads on here over a period of time, including the need for 2FA. Godaddy own Afternic and have the resources and motivation to fix it - this risky mess is unacceptable and reflects badly on their brand.

For info, Afternic keep reverting some of my domains to "In Review" status for no reason, and I only know that if I log in there to check on them. Until I then ask support to take them out of Review they are not listed for sale and will not sell at Afternic.

@Joe Styler When can we expect Godaddy to take action on Afternic, including implementing 2FA?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Reminds me of what happened at Moniker - persistent, known bugs and no effort to fix them and no interest in even identifiying them. Then acquired by another party who cared even less.

Remember what happened at Moniker then? Decline, serious hacking and theft, mass move out of large number of domains. Toast.

•••
For info, Afternic keep reverting some of my domains to "In Review" status for no reason, and I only know that if I log in there to check on them.

Yes, that happens to me also.

I have a lot of names there, and my fear is that someone else will sell one of my names and get paid for it, and I will never be notified or even know until it is too late.

This is a danger when you have a lot of names to keep track of.

Imagine paying $200 - $1000 to win a name at auction, then listing that name at Afternic with fast transfer enabled, and then having the name sold under someone else's account, and the money is given to them even though they don't own the name anymore.

Fast transfer is scary, but unfortunately it is necessary if you want the most exposure for your names.

•••
Checked, once again I have names put back into Review at Afternic for no reason, and with no notification. What is the point of listing them and then repeatedly contacting Support to get the listings re-activated if they keep getting hidden like this? They'll just take up my time, and Afternic's time, and they won't sell there.

Why didn't Godaddy just shut Afternic down when they bought it?

Last edited:
•••
That may be true, but how do we know the system will really work like they say it will.

I listed a bunch of domains a couple of weeks ago and they still are not receiving the opt-in emails.

I contacted Afternic twice already about it and they say it is fixed and I will receive the emails with in 24 hours.

I still have not received the emails for most of them.

I don't think I am going to bother contacting them again.

What is the point?

Instead, I think I am going to delete the names that don't get the emails and just try my luck with Sedo's MLS.

By the way, their interface is the worst ever.

I guess this is not news to anybody who has used it.

It seems like their system is stuck in the stone age.

•••
funny is that what you see is their relatively new interface :)

I'm not 100% sure but I think it got introduced early 2014. It was definitely after I started domaining (which was late 2013).

..and, yes, what you all say it's true. I started complaining about it long time ago but at the time people weren't very responsive. I feel somewhat justified now that more and more users see how wrong their whole system is setup.

..but to be fair, I have more sales there than any other market since I can sell domains using escrow for low $xx which is impossible to do with eg. Godaddy (where you handle everything yourself), Uniregistry or Sedo.

I guess the positives balance the negatives?

•••
I suggest a new thread titled Problems, Bugs and Fixes at Afternic - Report Problems Here. Then we can all list our issues so Afternic have to fix them. These Afternic probs have been repeatedly flagged up across numerous threads on here over a period of time, including the need for 2FA. Godaddy own Afternic and have the resources and motivation to fix it - this risky mess is unacceptable and reflects badly on their brand.

For info, Afternic keep reverting some of my domains to "In Review" status for no reason, and I only know that if I log in there to check on them. Until I then ask support to take them out of Review they are not listed for sale and will not sell at Afternic.

@Joe Styler When can we expect Godaddy to take action on Afternic, including implementing 2FA?
Thanks for the thread. On 2fa we dont have any immediate plans to offer it, can look into it. On the names being opted in and out that may be happening due to a bug at a registrar that is part of the Afternic network and their resellers. They had an issue where names would be opted out because of a technical issue at the registrar but that has been resolved by the registrar. However, it didn't impact all people at the registrar and if did impact you the only way to fix it is to remove all your names and re-add them and re-confirm them with your registrar.

•••
Yes, that happens to me also.

I have a lot of names there, and my fear is that someone else will sell one of my names and get paid for it, and I will never be notified or even know until it is too late.

This is a danger when you have a lot of names to keep track of.

Imagine paying $200 - $1000 to win a name at auction, then listing that name at Afternic with fast transfer enabled, and then having the name sold under someone else's account, and the money is given to them even though they don't own the name anymore.

Fast transfer is scary, but unfortunately it is necessary if you want the most exposure for your names.
I could be missing something but I don't see how that could happen. You can't list a domain under someone else's account unless you approve the listing yourself. So I could theoretically go into an Afternic account that is not yours and list a name that is yours for sale. It would do a check and there is a good chance it would catch that I am not the owner. If it wasn't able to, we would send you an email letting you know you just listed the domain for sale and for how much, which should raise a red flag, but the name still wouldn't be listed for sale in our network until you responded to another email sent by your registrar where the name is registered that tells you again, you just listed this name for sale for this much, click here to authorize the listing for sale. You have to click through and go to your registrar, login to your account that holds the domain and agree again to list it for sale as a fast transfer domain. Unless you do this your name won't be listed on our fast transfer network and cannot move to the buyer.
So in order for what you are saying to happen someone would have to list your domain in their account and then you would have to go approve the listing in your own registrar account for sale.

•••
One problem that I have, I will have domains "in review" forever until I actually contact them.

•••
One problem that I have, I will have domains "in review" forever until I actually contact them.

Same here, and it drives me nuts.

What a pain in th @ss, to have to contact them every time you list some domains, just to get your names out of review.

•••
I could be missing something but I don't see how that could happen.

I am not saying this will happen, only wondering if it is possible for domains to slip through the cracks and somehow be missed by the system.

No system is perfect, and the Afternic system has some obvious flaws, and one wonders how dependable it really is.

Using the interface, as it is now, does not inspire confidence.

Perhaps the whole system needs an upgrade :xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
@Joe Styler

Would you be so kind to confirm these:

1. When a domain with Afternic fast transfer enabled expired and won by someone else, will the Afternic fast transfer disabled automatically by Godaddy?

If not, what will happen if the domain sells at BIN set by the previous owner through Afternic?

2. Does the Afternic listings Column of Godaddy domain list panel really work?

Will the Afternic listings status go with the domain after an account change?

If not, then Afternic fast transfer should be disabled automatically when an whois info change/account change occurs.

By the way,
Godaddy Auction Domain page does not show adaptively on IPhone.
The minimum price and make offer button should be under the domain detail part, not in the right of it.
Please confirm this on your IPhone and report it to your dev team.

Last edited:
•••
•••
On 2fa we dont have any immediate plans to offer it, can look into it.

Thanks Joe, you really need the 2FA.

Because you need it.

Because Afternic only accept alphanumeric passwords.

And because a hacker can simply change the price of a domain to $20.00 and buy it and if it is fast-transfer it is gone at once.

And because by default Afternic exposes usernames and a juicy list of associated Afternic-listed names for each user, at an easily findable url pattern afternic.com/username. Users may not realise that is happening and the setting to disable it is mis-labeled so not easy to recognise. Just a gift to hackers.

Sedo used to do that public username thing, then they changed it so the username does NOT show a list of domains and if you want you can choose to generate a unique and possibly private url to share a list of the domains you have listed on Sedo.

•••
Give more payment options to sellers like payoneer, skrill etc

•••
When would they change them?

upload_2017-3-15_18-3-4.png

•••
@Joe Styler

Would you be so kind to confirm these:

1. When a domain with Afternic fast transfer enabled expired and won by someone else, will the Afternic fast transfer disabled automatically by Godaddy?

If not, what will happen if the domain sells at BIN set by the previous owner through Afternic?

2. Does the Afternic listings Column of Godaddy domain list panel really work?

Will the Afternic listings status go with the domain after an account change?

If not, then Afternic fast transfer should be disabled automatically when an whois info change/account change occurs.

By the way,
Godaddy Auction Domain page does not show adaptively on IPhone.
The minimum price and make offer button should be under the domain detail part, not in the right of it.
Please confirm this on your IPhone and report it to your dev team.
1. Yes it will automatically be removed and no longer be listed for sale.
2. No Afternic listing status in the domain control center mostly works but should not be relied on as the final word, your Afternic account should be used. There is a new interface coming in Godaddy that will not only address this but make other things much better as well.

If the domain name moves to a new account fast transfer/Afternic sales listing stops. The name is removed and you get an email letting you know.

Mobile auctions pages are also being improved already and will be released later this year.

•••
•••
Never. Been like that for years and not something we are going to change. I addressed this in several other threads at length.

Bit grumpy today, aren't you Joe? :)

•••
Bit grumpy today, aren't you Joe? :)
HA no not grumpy maybe that came across wrong. LOL Just was out yesterday and trying to catch up to a lot of emails/pms etc so was maybe a bit short and quick on my response. I like this thread gives me some good feedback on things to improve for people.

•••
At least once per month recheck all domains in your database...
Tons of them are actually available for registration...

•••
Why should we have to check?

We shouldn't!

It should just work.

Who has the time for this?

Why are we paying such a high commission?

Maybe they should use some of this money to fix the problems and upgrade the interface!

•••
Something else that could be improved easily and improve the service:

When you submit the help/contact/support form when you are logged in, to submit you have to complete a Captcha and after submitting the form you get this message in a popup:

We are looking forward to hearing from you.
Stay Connected With Us.

So was your message sent or not? Try again, same message. You don't know.

A few days later you may get a reply from Afternic with subject line
RE: Afternic Contact Us [ ref:1234567-ABCDEF:ref ]
and that message quotes yours, so they did get it.

Can't that website form say "Thank you for your message" when you submit, and even quote it? And can't the submission generate an automated email acknowledgement from Afternic?

And why do you have to complete a Captcha if logged in? Or is there an issue with people logging in who should not?

Last edited:
•••
@Joe Styler - would be great if you address these points:

1. It has become frustratingly difficult to get help from Afternic customer support. Many emails just never get any response. Or if you contact them about another issue, and they do get back to you, and you use that as a chance to raise the issue that nobody bothered to reply to, they just put you on ignore again. They are very selective when it comes to what they are willing to help with. Is there a reason why customer support is allowed to ignore support requests they don’t want to deal with?

For example, I have many listings that are not working (stuck "in review"), and some have not been working for weeks. That’s problematic when I forward to Afternic landing pages. I have reached out to Afternic customer support multiple times (and also posed the question as a follow up when other issues have been dealt with), and it has been ignored each time. Is customer support supposed to ignore all requests about listings that are not working from now on?

Would be great if Afternic customer support could start responding to most inquiries. It's very frustrating when they just outright ignore so many requests for support. This issue has been getting a lot worse in 2017.

2. Can you enable symbols (!@#$%^&*- etc.) to be used in passwords?

3. The “Account Summary” statistic for gross sales doesn’t work. It says that my net “Earnings on Domains Sold $XX,XXX“ in this year, while my gross sales say $0 ("Domains Sold Gross (Before Afternic Commission) $0"). Not a crucial function, but would be nice if it could work when it’s there on the dashboard…

4. When a domain is removed from you account at Sedo, they send you an email, and there is a log of which names have been removed. At Afternic, there is no way for sellers to know when a domain has been removed. Occasionally, some of my domains are inexplicably removed from my account, and there is now way for me to know that they have been removed. Sometimes I don’t notice until months later. Sometimes they have been removed by another seller, other times they have simply been deleted from my account (I am able to add them right back - but only after I notice that the name isn’t there anymore). This is problematic as I have been pointing my names to Afternic, but after those names that were deleted from my account, they have been resolving to 404 pages at Afternic, missing out on all potential type-in sales and offers. Would it be possible to sellers to know which names are removed from our accounts? I have asked support about this, but as often is the case, they did not respond to my email.

•••
It's such a constant struggle with Afternic. I really want to love you, but you're such a pain to deal with.

Step 1 - Add listings. See that a large percentage of the domains I'm adding are "already listed".
Step 2 - Email support and ask for the "already listed" to be removed and for "in review" from my previous attempt to be resolved.
Step 3 - Receive an email back from Afternic saying that the "already listed" domains have been removed and that the domains are ready to add. Also that a couple domains couldn't be removed because they don't have my whois information.
Step 4 - Check the domains they said don't have my whois information, they do!
Step 5 - Go to re-add the "already listed" listings that were removed, they weren't all removed!
Step 6 - Go to check if the "in review" domains were resolved, they weren't!
Step 7 - Email Afternic support again, yay!
Step 8 - Repeat the steps.

Do I sound frustrated?

This is nothing new. Afternic has been promising to resolve this for YEARS. It's just empty words now. I'll believe it when I see it (and absolutely shocked and relieved). You are supposed to be the industry leader.

Your competitors have listing systems that work.

•••
Back