Dynadot

question Question on IDN domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Does anyone here own idn or have success with them? Or do you know any existing idn sites on the net?

I'm just curious to see how an idn site looks like. Say you have an idn of car.com, will it show as car.com? How will it look different from the actual car.com? What about if you forward an idn domain? How will that work?

Any info will be appreciated.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you see something like car.com as IDN this is worthless, don't buy it.

Last edited:
•••
there are a lot of scams with IDN be careful. If you see something like car.com as IDN this is worthless, don't buy it.
Thanks for the info. I've learned about idn since 2009, but I never knew how it actually work. It seems like people talk about it, but i've never seen an existinf site.

There was a guy who was trying to sell his idn. I asked him a a simple question, and he couldn't answer it. I figure some domainers invest without knowing how the product works.

I did the same. I bought a dozen emoji dimains, which are also idn in .ws. I thought they are cool. For $5 each you can't go wrong. Then, I realize i couldn't get it to forward to my other site. So, it's basically useless. That's about $60. $60 of something that i have no clue that it works.

Speaking of blindness, one time I bought a domain with a .tel extension. It was $10. Good one word keyword, at least I thought it was . Then, I realize you can't develop a .tel domain like you do with other extensions. I went back to the seller to ask him how the domain works. He said he didn't know either. It happens in domaining. You just click buttons.

•••
IDN are worthless, theyre more of a collectors item lol. but with NO VALUE but your own.

this should help https://www.name.com/idn

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••

This is not an IDN

Is that an idn site? That's in other language. Thsnks for the sample.

What if it's an English word idn? How would you know it's an idn?

Qhen you're at the idn website lets say you had car.com idn you will notice when you go to that website it will start with xn-- then a bunch of numbers this is whats called the punycode and is how your actual url will look like.

Last edited:
•••
•••
This is - International Domain Name. The XN-- is also International domain name used for different scripts.

He is talking about the xn- domains

•••
•••
This is not an IDN

Qhen you're at the idn website lets say you had car.com idn you will notice when you go to that website it will start with xn-- then a bunch of numbers this is whats called the punycode and is how your actual url will look like.

If it's xn-- ..puny code, then how would that be car.com?

Is it car.com when you see the browser, and xn-punycode when you see it on your registrar account?

•••
•••
•••
An internationalized domain name (IDN) is an Internet domain name that contains at least one label that is displayed in software applications, in whole or in part, in a language-specific script or alphabet, such as Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Tamil, Hebrew or the Latin alphabet-based characters with diacritics or ligatures, such as French. These writing systems are encoded by computers in multi-byte Unicode. Internationalized domain names are stored in the Domain Name System as ASCII strings using Punycode transcription.

The Domain Name System, which performs a lookup service to translate user-friendly names into network addresses for locating Internet resources, is restricted in practice[1] to the use of ASCII characters, a practical limitation that initially set the standard for acceptable domain names. The internationalization of domain names is a technical solution to translate names written in language-native scripts into an ASCII text representation that is compatible with the Domain Name System. Internationalized domain names can only be used with applications that are specifically designed for such use; they require no changes in the infrastructure of the Internet.

IDN was originally proposed in December 1996 by Martin Dürst[2][3] and implemented in 1998 by Tan Juay Kwang and Leong Kok Yong under the guidance of Tan Tin Wee. After much debate and many competing proposals, a system called Internationalizing Domain Names in Applications (IDNA)[4] was adopted as a standard, and has been implemented in several top-level domains.

In IDNA, the term internationalized domain name means specifically any domain name consisting only of labels to which the IDNA ToASCII algorithm (see below) can be successfully applied. In March 2008, the IETF formed a new IDN working group to update[5] the current IDNA protocol.

In October 2009, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) approved the creation of internationalized country code top-level domains (IDN ccTLDs) in the Internet that use the IDNA standard for native language scripts.[6][7] In May 2010 the first IDN ccTLD were installed in the DNS root zone.[8]

•••
All IDNs domains have an xn-- equivalent.
теннис-алт.рф is in Russian.
The matching punnycode is xn----8sbnmria7aei.xn--p1ai (you can use it, it works and does a redirect to the .рф domain)

Thanks for the info.
I read there are country language domains that are not idn. That must be it.

•••
An internationalized domain name (IDN) is an Internet domain name that contains at least one label that is displayed in software applications, in whole or in part, in a language-specific script or alphabet, such as Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Tamil, Hebrew or the Latin alphabet-based characters with diacritics or ligatures, such as French. These writing systems are encoded by computers in multi-byte Unicode. Internationalized domain names are stored in the Domain Name System as ASCII strings using Punycode transcription.

The Domain Name System, which performs a lookup service to translate user-friendly names into network addresses for locating Internet resources, is restricted in practice[1] to the use of ASCII characters, a practical limitation that initially set the standard for acceptable domain names. The internationalization of domain names is a technical solution to translate names written in language-native scripts into an ASCII text representation that is compatible with the Domain Name System. Internationalized domain names can only be used with applications that are specifically designed for such use; they require no changes in the infrastructure of the Internet.

IDN was originally proposed in December 1996 by Martin Dürst[2][3] and implemented in 1998 by Tan Juay Kwang and Leong Kok Yong under the guidance of Tan Tin Wee. After much debate and many competing proposals, a system called Internationalizing Domain Names in Applications (IDNA)[4] was adopted as a standard, and has been implemented in several top-level domains.

In IDNA, the term internationalized domain name means specifically any domain name consisting only of labels to which the IDNA ToASCII algorithm (see below) can be successfully applied. In March 2008, the IETF formed a new IDN working group to update[5] the current IDNA protocol.

In October 2009, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) approved the creation of internationalized country code top-level domains (IDN ccTLDs) in the Internet that use the IDNA standard for native language scripts.[6][7] In May 2010 the first IDN ccTLD were installed in the DNS root zone.[8]

Thanks for the long text.
Yes I kind of know that. It has xn- something follows.

I guess the mystery of it is you don't see much many idn website out theree. I remember reading people do idn parking. How do you make click from them? Do people actually type in xn-something into the browser?

•••
All IDNs domains have an xn-- equivalent.
теннис-алт.рф is in Russian.
The matching punnycode is xn----8sbnmria7aei.xn--p1ai (you can use it, it works and does a redirect to the .рф domain)
Thank, thinking inside the box tm, for chipping in. I thought the same thing. Idn starts with xn.

I'm surprised that so far no one has given me a real idn site out there. My conlusion is idn sites are extremely rare.

Conclusion: idn is for fun or for secret communication among the comper/internet geeks? Maybe cool stuf for people whomlkke to waste time.

For business: it's not practical, will only confuse visitors

•••
One very tricky example, sold for $200 @ Flippa
softᴡare.com
where W is IDN
Punycode: http://xn--softare-l41c.com

Copy softᴡare and paste it into the unicode detector.
https://www.textmagic.com/free-tools/unicode-detector

That is confusing.
I copied the code and paste it to text magic, it gave me no button to process the code.

If yoj have to use another tool or site just to translate it, wouldn't it hinder people from visiting the site? It's only good for mystery solving.

Do you know any actual developed idn website?

•••
That is confusing.
I copied the code and paste it to text magic, it gave me no button to process the code.

If yoj have to use another tool or site just to translate it, wouldn't it hinder people from visiting the site? It's only good for mystery solving.

When developing idns you're going to shoot more towards your google search results. So your SEO better be on point, i mean full articles 100% unique pure seo skills. Lol

Edit: i honestly wouldnt bother, to me its more of a collector domain lol

•••
Do people actually type in xn-something into the browser?
No, they type in their native script, which could be Latin with accents, or another alphabet.
xn-- is just a transliteration of the domain name into ASCII so that conversion can take place at DNS level. The DNS dates back to the 1980s and was not designed with internationalization in mind.

If you're Chinese, then it's easier to type a URL in Chinese characters, on a Chinese keyboard. Not everybody is comfortable with ASCII.
Wouldn't you find typing in Chinese challenging ? :)

I'm surprised that so far no one has given me a real idn site out there. My conlusion is idn sites are extremely rare.
They get some use in foreign countries but I don't think they are mainstream anywhere.
Here is one example: http://президент.рф/
It is the official site of the Kremlin. You also use: http://kremlin.ru/ or http://eng.kremlin.ru/ to jump straight to the English version.

.рф is an IDN (cc)TLD for the Russian Federation, it is the Cyrillic counterpart of .ru. There are many .рф registered but .ru is bigger.

Here we have a perfect IDN.IDN URL.
But some ASCII TLDs also support an IDN left of the dot. Example: Москва.com (Moscow). A mix of two scripts: Cyrillic + Latin.
The .com TLD also exists in several different forms. Example: .コム (.com in Japanese, Katakana script).

•••
I have had dozens of idn's with very little luck selling them and i went ahead an bought another one recently. Jalapeño.net. It seemed cool to me since this is how they actually write the word.

•••
I have had dozens of idn's with very little luck selling them and i went ahead an bought another one recently. Jalapeño.net. It seemed cool to me since this is how they actually write the word.

Where have you posted them for sale? You can PM me the names if you want... thanks.

•••
•••
I havent posted it yet.
I meant the dozens of names you own. If you haven't posted them anywhere I think it would be a tough sell for sure.

•••
I meant the dozens of names you own. If you haven't posted them anywhere I think it would be a tough sell for sure.

I though you were talking about that perticular one. I dont have many IDN's left now and the few i have are listed on sedo, godaddy, flppa.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back