Dynadot

discuss Recession of sales and inquiries

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Recently, domain sales and inquires have decrease significantly compared to previous years, what could be the reason? Do you notice it too?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Recently, domain sales and inquires have decrease significantly compared to previous years, what could be the reason? Do you notice it too?
World changes all the time. Financial crisis, food crisis, wars and pandemic are very important factors. And there are many other reasons too. So, yes I have noticed a difference.

Last edited:
•••
true..here too.. or maybe everyone just switched to xyz buying from dngear Haha

either way sales thread also almost dead

•••
This is serious I also think domaining is now been competitive during the post covid era because more buddies are now working from home plus many are unemployed, global financial crisis, inflation, and the Russia-Ukraine war are the major factors people are not buying names, but I believe things would start picking up at the end of 2022 and beginning of 2023.

•••
•••

COVID, followed by wars, followed by panic in oil and food, combined with investor interest turning to NFTs and Crypto and even crypto / handshake and web3 domains...

....plus more importantly, the simple fact domains are painfully illiquid anyway.

The sales will come again

•••
I think the dominant factor, as others noted, is the current state of the world (war, markets, inflation, trade disruptions, continuing pandemic). Businesses not feeling confident about expansion and new initiatives.

I wonder, though, whether all of the funds going into decentralized domains, NFTs, etc. has had an impact.

It would be nice to have specific numbers from the big marketplaces, like Afternic, Dan and Sedo, to see how strong the downturn is.

Thanks for starting thread.

Bob

•••
I think the dominant factor, as others noted, is the current state of the world (war, markets, inflation, trade disruptions, continuing pandemic). Businesses not feeling confident about expansion and new initiatives.

I wonder, though, whether all of the funds going into decentralized domains, NFTs, etc. has had an impact.

It would be nice to have specific numbers from the big marketplaces, like Afternic, Dan and Sedo, to see how strong the downturn is.

Thanks for starting thread.

Bob
Just curious whether some have gone a couple of months without a sale / enquiry.

•••
Just wanted to point out that I started a poll on essentially this topic - please vote.
https://www.namepros.com/threads/are-things-slower-in-domain-aftermarket-sales-inquiries.1273346/

Just curious whether some have gone a couple of months without a sale / enquiry.
Anecdotally I believe the answer is yes. Personally, while a few decent wholesale transactions, my last retail sale was in mid-February. It seems slower to me, but my portfolio and typical sales numbers are both modest, so hard to separate normal fluctuations from a trend.

I am putting together some numbers on this topic, but some evidence sales have dipped last few weeks, but not by much, compared to last year or earlier in 2022.

I hope to put something on this topic together for the NamePros Blog, perhaps as early as next week.

Bob

•••
Well I am by far no expert on this topic but a quick analysis of available NameBio data (quick = a few min) I see:

Number of reported domain sales month by month is trending upwards
Since February monthly sales has trended upwards in terms of number of sales Feb - Apr after dropping from highs late last year. For May to date (mid May 11) the number of reported sales are 4,622. Linear development until end of month will put us around 13,025 ((4,622 / 11)*31) sales reported (slightly up from 12,985 sales in April).

1652295635232.png

Average sales value is trending down
Current average sales value on Namebio is at the moment 812.90 (down around 20% from previous month and the months before). This is however highly impacted by larger sales reported which will pull the avg. up and looking at a mean value would have been more relevant but in lack of data I put this here. I am not sure when large sales are reported but would not be surprised if they all are reported by end of month when bigger sellers consolidate and report the monthly sales.

1652296088697.png

Conclusion
No data indicating a strong downturn, maybe within individual segments or portfolios but overall it looks like a month like any other if one look at the stats - at least on NameBio at a quick glanze.

•••
•••
Hi

the domain sky is falling....
oh, no, what we gonna do?

imo...

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back