IT.COM

question .SBS domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

TLDNIC

Established Member
Impact
Hi all,

no .SBS discussion thread yet? Let's change that...

Recap:

Originally delegated in 2015 as a closed brand TLD owned by Australian broadcaster SBS, they didn't want it anymore at some stage and it was eventually picked up by ShortDot SA, who re-released it as an open generic TLD about a month ago. A short TLD with a low price: $2 create, <$10 renewal and the only premiums are 3-character (or less) and (English versions of) city names up to a certain population size, which cost closer to $30 a year. (there may be more names types set to premium, but these are ones I noticed and they only do have these two pricing tiers)

Whether you think it has value or not, this one is selling a certain amount of names at the moment and currently has about 3,500 registrations. It looks like it's exclusively purchased by domain investors at the moment. No sites with content indexed on Google for now.

Domainers currently seem to be buying the usual single keyword terms (the ones that are 7 to 8 figures worth in .com) to test the waters. Obviously completely unknown if there is any potential to sell these at a later stage, so don't take this as an advise, I'm merely reporting what I see.

This one is interesting for me personally, as I see one (or more) Irish buyer(s) is/are responsible for more than a third of the registrations to date. Are there any fellow Irish domainers on Namepros? Nice to meet you and greetings from Dublin! :)

Any .SBS buyers here? Feel free to discuss and present your registrations... (I didn't buy in bulk and only got 14 myself: names like "business" and "mail"...)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
Not quite sure about the subdomains business model. That might work, to some extent, in .COM where there is a lot of brand recognition of the gTLD. The key aspect of that business model is scarcity of "good" domain names. With the launch of the new gTLDs and the competition from the ccTLDs, that scarcity isn't a major problem outside the ccTLDs and the legacy gTLDs.

I'm just after looking at the July 2021 web usage survey for the gTLD. The lack of development is an issue. Development gives a TLD value. There's a lot of speculation in the gTLD.

The Irish domainers angle is interesting as the .SBS gTLD is a bit outside the comfort zone of for many of them. (Normally the TLDs for Irish domainers would be .COM, .IE, .UK and .EU).

Regards...jmcc

•••
Thanks!

I didn't realise it was originally owned by the Special Broadcasting Service (SBS) here in Australia. When I recently saw it was being released, I was thinking about registering a couple of names relating to them, but I imagine that they have already grabbed the ones they want.

I'll save my money.

Last edited:
•••
I continue to find it interesting that this TLD has a "termination in progress" status.
There have been a few sales and relaunches with the new gTLDs. The gTLDs are sold off rather than being let go into EBERO (the gTLD graveyard) like .WED. ICANN is still trying to sell that gTLD but I don't think it has had any offers. The .XYZ registry has also been buying up gTLDs but the real move has been Godaddy's play. It would not be unthinkable to see the new gTLDs ending up with Donuts and Godaddy as the main players. Amazon and Google still haven't launched many of their gTLDs.

Regards...jmcc

•••
There have been a few sales and relaunches with the new gTLDs. The gTLDs are sold off rather than being let go into EBERO (the gTLD graveyard) like .WED. ICANN is still trying to sell that gTLD but I don't think it has had any offers. The .XYZ registry has also been buying up gTLDs but the real move has been Godaddy's play. It would not be unthinkable to see the new gTLDs ending up with Donuts and Godaddy as the main players. Amazon and Google still haven't launched many of their gTLDs.

Regards...jmcc

Thanks @jmcc :xf.smile:

After some digging further, I found these recent pointers regarding the .sbs #SideBySide TLD :xf.cool:

ShortDot Terms and Conditions for Domain Registration
Version 3
17 June 2021

https://shortdot.bond/terms-and-conditions-for-domain-registration/

and,

https://shortdot.bond/sbs/

But still, not impressed by this TLD :unsure:

•••
•••
The TLD has entered hyphened territory now: "e-mail" has been registered earlier this month.

Still mainly "warez" sites on the Google index. No serious commercial usage in that namespace as of yet, which is needed to make this TLD relevant, as jmcc correctly pointed out. If that doesn't improve until the first renewal round, we may see a large percentage dropping.

Last edited:
•••
Hi all,

no .SBS discussion thread yet? Let's change that...

Recap:

Originally delegated in 2015 as a closed brand TLD owned by Australian broadcaster SBS, they didn't want it anymore at some stage and it was eventually picked up by ShortDot SA, who re-released it as an open generic TLD about a month ago. A short TLD with a low price: $2 create, <$10 renewal and the only premiums are 3-character (or less) and (English versions of) city names up to a certain population size, which cost closer to $30 a year. (there may be more names types set to premium, but these are ones I noticed and they only do have these two pricing tiers)

Whether you think it has value or not, this one is selling a certain amount of names at the moment and currently has about 3,500 registrations. It looks like it's exclusively purchased by domain investors at the moment. No sites with content indexed on Google for now.

Domainers currently seem to be buying the usual single keyword terms (the ones that are 7 to 8 figures worth in .com) to test the waters. Obviously completely unknown if there is any potential to sell these at a later stage, so don't take this as an advise, I'm merely reporting what I see.

This one is interesting for me personally, as I see one (or more) Irish buyer(s) is/are responsible for more than a third of the registrations to date. Are there any fellow Irish domainers on Namepros? Nice to meet you and greetings from Dublin! :)

Any .SBS buyers here? Feel free to discuss and present your registrations... (I didn't buy in bulk and only got 14 myself: names like "business" and "mail"...)
I personally bought a .sbs domain to use, and I'm still waiting for it to be indexed by Google.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back