Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Just wondering what the general thoughts are about whether the recent trend to legalize marijuana will boost the prices of pot-related domains?

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You're still talking a deeply speculative thing that's still illegal at the Federal level, which means interstate (read: internet) commerce in said will be a massive no-no until that's undone.

Yes, I realize there's a peripheral market for head-shop type stuff, but ultimately, it's like anything else. The top 0.01% of quality names will be in demand, the top 0.5% might be worthwhile, the remaining 99.5% (which is what you'll see in the "Show me your..." theme domain threads) won't be worth what it cost to register and renew them.

•••
One thing is certain: Crackpots will NEVER pay for brandable and keyword pot-themed domains above reg fee. lol

•••
I agree it's speculative. However, it shows promise. Mexico is now thinking about legalization, and Obama freely admitted smoking pot. If a decision has to be made on regulation being at the state or fed level, I think it will go in favor of the states. That said, I agree the best names, like pot/com, will command a hefty price, but there is that tweener market of $500 -$2000 range that is accessible. For another $20 in renewal fees, I'm happy to keep a couple of related names bought on spec a few years ago for a couple more. If they don't pan out, well, that's the drug business for you.

Last edited:
•••
•••
One thing is certain: Crackpots will NEVER pay for brandable and keyword pot-themed domains above reg fee. lol

I don't understand this comment

are you talking about crackpots? or potheads? there is a BIG difference....

Legalizing Marijuana is a good thing for the economy - get the country out of debt and free up the courts and jails
for the real criminals, like those crackpots ;)

why people are against it is beyond me when LIQUOR is legal...wtf!

•••
are you talking about crackpots? or potheads? there is a BIG difference....
Perhaps when you mix Cannibis and Domaining, it becomes hard to tell the difference sooner or later. LOL

But anyway, what on earth will end-user buyers of Cannibis domains do with their website? Sell pot online?

Legalizing Marijuana is a good thing for the economy - get the country out of debt and free up the courts and jails
for the real criminals, like those crackpots ;)

why people are against it is beyond me when LIQUOR is legal...wtf!
Maybe because it is more "mind-altering" in a much shorter period of time and amount, compared to liquor.

•••
I've been mixing cannabis with domaining for years :laugh:

thanks,

Jason

•••
Perhaps when you mix Cannibis and Domaining, it becomes hard to tell the difference sooner or later. LOL
27+ years and still able to tell the diff
:D

But anyway, what on earth will end-user buyers of Cannibis domains do with their website? Sell pot online?

Maybe because it is more "mind-altering" in a much shorter period of time and amount, compared to liquor.

Selling seeds/pot on line happens now - just got to find the right place. [- and no
I don't buy online in case anyone is asking]

Websites would be information on the different kinds, where to get it in certain places
where to smoke it in public.

I can see internet traffic only increasing as time/legalities progress....

and why not have a hype thread for this trend too

we have one for when the wind blows!
ooops - this trend[reality] has been around longer
than most of the members here :lol:

•••
Any ideas on what you would use epot.ca for?

•••
I think it will increase.

thanks,

Jason

Last edited:
•••
I've been mixing cannabis with domaining for years :laugh:

thanks,

Jason
I'll rep++ you on that. lol

---------- Post added at 09:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

and why not have a hype thread for this trend too

we have one for when the wind blows!
ooops - this trend[reality] has been around longer
than most of the members here :lol:
I agree. Reading some hype threads here, is almost like consuming 6 kilos of psychedelic mushrooms. lol, so why not a 'show your pot' thread to boot?

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

I'm in auction for weed domain today and was very surprised to see there were 32 bidders for this name. Prior to the new approved laws I would have been the only bidder for this name; so yea, I think this will increase the value in marijuana related domain names.
But those 32 bidders are domainers too, right? What are the odds? But anyway, as speculation defines it, as long as there is someone willing to buy, who cares what he will use it for.

•••
Perhaps when you mix Cannibis and Domaining, it becomes hard to tell the difference sooner or later. LOL.

But anyway, what on earth will end-user buyers of Cannibis domains do with their website? Sell pot online?.

Who knows? It may come to that in a few years. In the meantime, if it does go legal, it's a whole new industry with all kinds of opportunities for legit websites.

Don't see many fist fights between stoned people, though.

•••
...I have a few names (potmarijuana(.)com, marijuanamatrix(.)com), but I am seeing industrial hemp as being a huge revenue generator and may get the Federal nod before its recreational sibling does for purposes of agriculture and how positively astounding this plant truly is.

So I grabbed the .tv ihemp and made a wordpress site (grabbed same name in .us and .me).

Also got all in .com:

dailyhemp
industryhemp
hempmix
hempcommerce
and
S S HEMP (...the ship has come in) could be a store for products made of industrial hemp.

I feel good about the future of this plant and willing to speculate. Time will tell...

ps...also got MarryJuana(.)com for the lovelorn...

•••
I have POT PRICE in the dot com.

I think the value of pot-related domains can only rise. Every year the % of Americans who favor legalization increases, and it's only a matter of time before it's a full-fledged legal industry... IMHO.

Last edited:
•••
I have marijuana green card.com however, might be of no value after the legalization, which i still support.

•••
The cigarette companies will swoop in on marijuana cultivation, production and distribution in a heartbeat. They already have business plans for it and the infrastructure. Other than speculating in domains for this eventual industry, I'm thinking of investing in some stock opportunities.

•••
The cigarette companies will swoop in on marijuana cultivation, production and distribution in a heartbeat. They already have business plans for it and the infrastructure. Other than speculating in domains for this eventual industry, I'm thinking of investing in some stock opportunities.

There are a lot of live US trademarks for the term Green Grass - but I don't know if you can take out a trademark on a product that is not legal to sell. Supposedly tobacco companies were trademarking weed terms - no idea if that was true or someone's inspired fantasy.

Stock opportunities - check this out
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/16/medbox_marijuana_machine_stock/

---------- Post added at 06:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 AM ----------

...I have a few names (potmarijuana(.)com, marijuanamatrix(.)com), but I am seeing industrial hemp as being a huge revenue generator and may get the Federal nod before its recreational sibling does for purposes of agriculture and how positively astounding this plant truly is.

True.

Looks like all the best hemp domains have been registered for a long time, too.

•••
•••
I'm seeing a few middle of the road pot domains listed with asking prices of $1000 to $10,000. Some crappy ones are listed from $50 to $1000 and some lousy ones ar still marked in the mid high $xxxx range. I wonder how often bad domains sell or so much? I've often thogth about listing all of my domains for seriously outrageos prices just to see what would happen. always figured nothing would sell, but then i see terrible domains on DN Journal tha sold for big bucks, like 8months.com for $5000 and bodycode.de for $7000.

Didn't mean to hijack my own thread, but am curious if anyone has tried the high asking price approac, and what happened?

•••
I joined the domaining pot club with
MarijuanaAssociates.com
MarijuanaVillage.com
MarijuanaHaven.com

How good are these names???

Last edited:
•••
marijuana, weed, pot, dope, hemp, cannabis, hooch ..... what should i call it ..... i'm freaking out

•••
You're still talking a deeply speculative thing that's still illegal at the Federal level, which means interstate (read: internet) commerce in said will be a massive no-no until that's undone.

true, but this just makes it a niche. comparable i guess to a niche that is only viable in one country and not another. the only difference here is we're talking about a state.

also, for people who dont live in one of these places - the whole "still illegal on a federal level" is true but if you're just a casual buyer you have almost nothing to worry about, even if you're growing a few plants yourself. its the dispensaries that take the risk.. there are an insane amount of legal delivery services here that make it as easy as ordering a pizza, they just check your ID.

for an example of an extremely popular niche pot site, see weedmaps.com

•••
weedmaps is pretty good

Last edited:
•••
is it worth buying these pot domains?

•••
Back