Dynadot

question So...How do you feel about your brandable portfolio in 2022?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

dave321

Established Member
Impact
I took a pretty big leap last year, and built up my portfolio to about 1k domains all in BB and SH.

I just paid about 10k in renewal fees. ( thank God for doordash) lol

Sales are steady but they are slow. Not quite like the good old days where i hear... it was normal to get a 5% annual conversion rate.

I'm hoping as my portfolio ages, my conversion rates will increase....is that even a thing? Lol

As these platforms become more competitive, I'm slightly reluctant to invest.

I'm skeptical about the future of brandable domains....

But I'm reeally hoping as my domains age, the conversion rates will increase.

What do you think?

How do you feel about your portfolio? Are you still building it? How do you feel about the future?

Looking forward to this conversation!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sales are steady but they are slow. Not quite like the good old days where i hear... it was normal to get a 5% conversion rate.

When was that?

My rule of thumb is a standard 1% sell-through rate in a normal $2K - $5K end user price range.

This number could go up or down depending on the quality of domains, exposure, asking prices, etc.

It also depends what "brandable" means.

It is probably safe to assume that some random made up brand is going to have a lower sell-through rate, and smaller potential pool of buyers, than a keyword domain or high quality brandable that likely has a much larger pool of potential buyers.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
When was that?

My rule of thumb is a standard 1% sell-through rate in a normal $2K - $5K end user price range.

1%? Thats a drastic change from where things were before bb surpassed 50k names.

Early days...7%
50k...5%

2% is afternic numbers....

1%.....not a good sign.

Seems like the market is already saturated.

I built my profolio the old way through domain auctions etc

Just a year ago 50.00+ was the going rate for wholesale names.

Now it looks like they're going for as low as $20 a pop.

Now anyone can build a large portfolio with ease.

It's not good for everyone that the barrier to entry is so easy.

Wondering where all this is headed....

Last edited:
•••
1%? Thats a drastic change from where things were before bb surpassed 50k names.

Early days...7%
50k...5%

2% is afternic numbers....

1%.....not a good sign.

Seems like the market is already saturated.

I built my profolio the old way through domain auctions etc

Just a year ago 50.00+ was the going rate for wholesale names.

Now it looks like they're going for as low as $20 a pop.

Now anyone can build a large portfolio with ease.

It's not good for everyone that the barrier to entry is so easy.

Wondering where all this is headed....

Where are these numbers coming from? 1%-2% has been an accepted end user sell-through rate for a long time.

Unless you are selling domains extraordinarily cheap, like a few hundred bucks, it seems highly unlikely you could maintain a 5%-7% passive sell-through rate over any long period of time.

There are 170 million registered .COM at the moment. There is more competition than ever. I don't think the average "brandable" registered now is likely to be that great.

In general a low sell-through rate is one of the following -

1.) Quality of domains.
2.) Lack of exposure. Not listed on all venues.
3.) Prices. The price has to match the quality of the domain.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Just asking around on the forums, Ive come across a few pretty big players over the last few years and these are the numbers that I've been getting and I've consistently seen a drop in what people are telling me.

In the very beginning it was not uncommon at all to hear of people getting 5% conversion rate a year.

2% it's what I usually get on my afternic names that I just let drop when they don't sell.

1% is the absolute worst number I have ever heard when having this conversation.

Regardless you make a good point.

Competing with quality names perhaps should keep the numbers on track when up against fresh meat.

I just hope it doesn't get below 1%

Also I'm hoping as the better domains begin to age the conversion rates will go up or at least stabilize.

Last edited:
•••
Just asking around on the forums, Ive come across a few pretty big players over the last few years and these are the numbers that I've been getting and I've consistently seen a drop in what people are telling me.

In the very beginning it was not uncommon at all to hear of people getting 5% conversion rate a year.

2% it's what I usually get on my afternic names that I just let drop when they don't sell.

1% is the absolute worst number I have ever heard when having this conversation.

Regardless you make a good point.

Competing with quality names perhaps should keep the numbers on track when up against fresh meat.

I just hope it doesn't get below 1%

Also I'm hoping as the better domains begin to age the conversion rates will go up or at least stabilize.
I think we have different business models. The vast majority of stuff I buy, I renew.
I also sell domains to end users passively.

I could bring up endless threads talking about 1%-2% from years ago. That is my experience being in the field for almost 15 years now.

Could you give me an example of a "brandable" domain you are talking about? If you don't want to give one you own, just give me an idea and also a price range.

I have never heard of anyone maintaining a 7% passive end user sell-through rate. Domain investing is mainly a numbers game, if you have enough quality domains some sell in a given year.

Brad

•••
I have never heard of anyone maintaining a 7% passive end user sell-through rate. Domain investing is mainly a numbers game, if you have enough quality domains some sell in a given year.

Brad

You never heard these numbers when brandbucket was New when brandables first hit the market place?

As far as maintaining these numbers I definitely I have never heard of that myself. In fact my point was is that they have consistently dropped since the marketplace opened.

My portfolio is fairly new. Barely at 2%.

I'm just hoping it stays that way. But after hearing your experience, I'm encouraged actually.

I am curious, when you're talked about selling to end users are you talking about marketing it yourself or selling through these platforms?

I keep hearing that I need to start selling to end users directly. Keep meaning to look into that. Not sure how lucrative it is or how much time it would take etc

•••
I am curious, when you're talked about selling to end users are you talking about marketing it yourself or selling through these platforms?

I keep hearing that I need to start selling to end users directly. Keep meaning to look into that. Not sure how lucrative it is or how much time it would take etc

When I am referring to passive end user sales it means -

1.) End user prices, which means in the thousands. Basically I am not selling domains for $199 or $280 or something. If you do your sell-through rate could be much higher.

2.) Passively. I just sell domains via venues like Afternic, Dan.com (or other landers), or direct email inquiries when people come to me. If you proactively sell domains you might have a higher sell-through rate.

Brad

•••
When I am referring to passive end user sales it means -

1.) End user prices, which means in the thousands. Basically I am not selling domains for $199 or $280 or something. If you do your sell-through rate could be much higher.

2.) Passively. I just sell domains via venues like Afternic, Dan.com (or other landers), or direct email inquiries when people come to me. If you proactively sell domains you might have a higher sell-through rate.

Brad

I see. All my names are on sh n bb...2k plus.

Our cr is pretty much the same Im sure

•••
I see. All my names are on sh n bb...2k plus.

Our cr is pretty much the same Im sure
Does SH and BB really do that well at selling "brandable" domains?

Why not Afternic? Afternic has a massive market share. It seems like they might do better with a far larger group of potential buyers.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Does SH and BB really do that well at selling "brandable" domains?

Why not Afternic? Afternic has a massive market share. It seems like they might do better with a far larger group of potential buyers.

Brad

Well afternic has the traffic but sh has a more direct marketing approach to brandables. The logos, their contests etc.

A lot of people that buy brandables don't even consider these names until someone gives them the idea via contests etc.

Id think most of them probably wouldn't stand a chance on afternic.

Although we are allowed to list on afternic and sh as long as we increase price on afternic to cover commissions.

Are you suggesting you're getting 2% conversions selling brandables souly on afternic and Dan?

If so thats very impressive. I would think surely there's some type of keyword in your domains or something driving that traffic.

Either that or 90% of your portfolio is names 5k+ (high demand).

Unless I'm missing something.

•••
I left all brandable markets 18 months ago and am actually doing better on my own at DAN and Afternic inbound.

Don’t believe the hype that your names can only sell on a brandable market because it isn’t true. They are however an ok place for a beginner or those who are averse to negotiating or pricing their own domains. For 25 to 30% commish they better be performing well.

Just sold a brandable yesterday no brandable market needed.

•••
Well afternic has the traffic but sh has a more direct marketing approach to brandables. The logos, their contests etc.

A lot of people that buy brandables don't even consider these names until someone gives them the idea via contests etc.

Id think most of them probably wouldn't stand a chance on afternic.

Although we are allowed to list on afternic and sh as long as we increase price on afternic to cover commissions.

Are you suggesting you're getting 2% conversions selling brandables souly on afternic and Dan?

If so thats very impressive. I would think surely there's some type of keyword in your domains or something driving that traffic.

Either that or 90% of your portfolio is names 5k+ (high demand).

Unless I'm missing something.

I have a mix of types of domains and extensions...keywords, brandables, GEO, etc.

I would say my STR is 1%-2% in an average year.

In the past I used Voodoo landers for many years, but started to migrate to Dan.com landers some months back after Voodoo essentially folded as a company.

The only way I sell domains is basically Afternic / Dan.com landers / Direct contact (either via email or my website).

Brad

•••
I left all brandable markets 18 months ago and am actually doing better on my own at DAN and Afternic inbound.

Don’t believe the hype that your names can only sell on a brandable market because it isn’t true. They are however an ok place for a beginner or those who are averse to negotiating or pricing their own domains. For 25 to 30% commish they better be performing well.

Just sold a brandable yesterday no brandable market needed.

I have hardly any experience with brandable marketplaces, but I have a hard time believing their specialty could outperform a marketplace like Afternic.

GoDaddy has about 50% of the entire domain market share. They have as many total registrations as the rest of the top 10 registrars combined. They also have partnerships with most of the other largest registrars via Afternic.

I also think the best sales often result from direction negotiation, which is why I prefer to have control of my landers with Dan.com (or similar).

Afternic/Dan.com is the best combo at the moment in my experience as well.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Could you give me an example of a "brandable" domain you are talking about? If you don't want to give one you own, just give me an idea and also a price range.
Hi

i'd like to see example too.

imo...

•••
I have hardly any experience with brandable marketplaces, but I have a hard time believing their specialty could outperform a marketplace like Afternic.

GoDaddy has about 50% of the entire domain market share. They have as many total registrations as the rest of the top 10 registrars combined. They also have partnerships with most of the other largest registrars via Afternic.

I also think the best sales often result from direction negotiation, which is why I prefer to have control of my landers with Dan.com (or similar).

Afternic/Dan.com is the best combo at the moment in my experience as well.

Brad
Hi, my domains are listed on Afternic.
I was searching for my domains on GoDaddy.
Do you know why I see the price 900$ higher? (Listed at 3795$ at AfterNic and seen $ 4.849,00 at GoDaddy)
Also, another domain which is also listed ad AfterNic, doesn't appear as BIN.
It's written, this domain might be available, buy our brokerage service first.
Do you know how can I avoid this?
Thanks!

•••
Do you know why I see the price 900$ higher? (Listed at 3795$ at AfterNic and seen $ 4.849,00 at GoDaddy)
Thanks!
@Joe Styler @Paul Nicks

Would if be possible to look into this?

Brad

•••
Thanks!
GD adds a markup to aftermarket domains bought via GD domain search, no way to avoid this as far as I know (maybe listing for same BIN afternic price on GD auction might help, but never tried it).

•••
GD adds a markup to aftermarket domains bought via GD domain search, no way to avoid this as far as I know (maybe listing for same BIN afternic price on GD auction might help, but never tried it).
Thank you! But doesn't it impact negatively on your sales? I mean this is a huuuge markup!

•••
Thank you! But doesn't it impact negatively on your sales? I mean this is a huuuge markup!

It is annoying given the parent company is already taking 20% of the base price. It's been happening for a while now.

Last edited:
•••
It is annoying given the parent company is already taking 20% of the base price. It's been happening for a while now.
Really annoying! So there is nothing we can do about this?

•••

Are we sure this is the case? I have used Afternic for a long time and never heard of this.

I have heard of other registrars adding a premium to the cost, Name.com for example. A domain that is $995 on Afternic, was $995 on GoDaddy, but $1,144.25 on Name.com.

I just checked several price listings in various extensions, and the prices are the same on Afternic and GoDaddy.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Are we sure this is the case? I have used Afternic for a long time and never heard of this.

I have heard of other registrars adding a premium to the cost, Name.com for example. A domain that is $995 on Afternic, was $995 on GoDaddy, but $1,144.25 on Name.com.

I just checked several price listings in various extensions, and the prices are the same on Afternic and GoDaddy.

Brad

On closer inspection this seems to be a regional thing.

Here is a USD price at au.godaddy.com

1648592129363.png

And the (correct) USD price at godaddy.com

Screenshot 2022-03-30 0913415.png

•••
Last edited:
•••
OP share your portfolio link for us.

•••
Back