Dynadot

question So...How do you feel about your brandable portfolio in 2022?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

dave321

Established Member
Impact
I took a pretty big leap last year, and built up my portfolio to about 1k domains all in BB and SH.

I just paid about 10k in renewal fees. ( thank God for doordash) lol

Sales are steady but they are slow. Not quite like the good old days where i hear... it was normal to get a 5% annual conversion rate.

I'm hoping as my portfolio ages, my conversion rates will increase....is that even a thing? Lol

As these platforms become more competitive, I'm slightly reluctant to invest.

I'm skeptical about the future of brandable domains....

But I'm reeally hoping as my domains age, the conversion rates will increase.

What do you think?

How do you feel about your portfolio? Are you still building it? How do you feel about the future?

Looking forward to this conversation!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thank you! But doesn't it impact negatively on your sales? I mean this is a huuuge markup!
Haven't been in the industry enough time to appreciate how much this impacts STR.

Consider also that domain priced to high or too low might not be showed on some Afternic network partner registrars.

Last edited:
•••
Hi guys, I checked again and you are right. It's a geolocation thing.

My websites have the same price on GoDaddy.com but not on the Italian version. Crazy!

Btw it's fine at least we solved the mystery :D

Thank ya'll!

•••
•••
GD adds a markup to aftermarket domains bought via GD domain search, no way to avoid this as far as I know (maybe listing for same BIN afternic price on GD auction might help, but never tried it).
We do not add a markup to domains on search vs Afternic pricing.

•••
Hi guys, I checked again and you are right. It's a geolocation thing.

My websites have the same price on GoDaddy.com but not on the Italian version. Crazy!

Btw it's fine at least we solved the mystery :D

Thank ya'll!
what about the one you said that is not for sale? is that showing up?
For other countries you may see different pricing that has to do with various factors. Sounds to me like tax and U bet if you seach in the US and then login using an Italian address you are going to see an increase in the price in the cart due to tax.
Pricing can also vary due to exchange rate but 900 dollars is not an exchange rate issue.

•••
We do not add a markup to domains on search vs Afternic pricing.
Just checked again with one of my domains and actually there is a markup.

Edit: Same price from the US. Different prices are due to VAT, in fact the "markup" is exactly equal to VAT tax rate in my country.

Last edited:
•••
what about the one you said that is not for sale? is that showing up?
For other countries you may see different pricing that has to do with various factors. Sounds to me like tax and U bet if you seach in the US and then login using an Italian address you are going to see an increase in the price in the cart due to tax.
Pricing can also vary due to exchange rate but 900 dollars is not an exchange rate issue.
Wow this is crazy. Italy is such a thief country regarding taxes!

•••
My brand Bucket STR was 0% with 110 names

My SH STR was 4% with similar quantity. Price 2-5K

That said, I stopped submitting names to both and I sell mostly brandable names on DAN, Afternic and Sedo with a STR slightly above 2% mostly because I have only so much time in a day and SH need a different type of names than the ones that I sell on AFternic etc, but if I can manage my time better, I do plan to add a few hundred names to Squadhelp.

Not sure what I want to do with BrandBucket lol

I will continue to add regular brandable names in 2022.

•••
GD adds a markup to aftermarket domains bought via GD domain search, no way to avoid this as far as I know (maybe listing for same BIN afternic price on GD auction might help, but never tried it).
Where did you see this?
Godaddy doesn't add any markup to any of my AFternic names and I track them diligently.

SOme AFternic FT partners do add a mark-up and namecheap offers a discount.

But on Godaddy it is the same Price for all my names. Maybe you listed them on godaddy separately?

Hi, my domains are listed on Afternic.
I was searching for my domains on GoDaddy.
Do you know why I see the price 900$ higher? (Listed at 3795$ at AfterNic and seen $ 4.849,00 at GoDaddy)
Also, another domain which is also listed ad AfterNic, doesn't appear as BIN.
It's written, this domain might be available, buy our brokerage service first.
Do you know how can I avoid this?
Thanks!

There must be some issue with the disparity on Godaddy and Afternic. Did you check if the names is listed on Godaddy with that Increased Price?
Try deleting it on godaddy listing and re-adding on Afternic.
Or it could be an error. You can write to them.

Regarding those that don't appear as BIN, if the name is under 60 day lock or is not fast transfer eligible, then it will be on the standard network and it will be shown as "Get it"

There also are are the usual errors like names not appearing, but they will fix it if you reach out with screenshots

•••
Where did you see this?
Godaddy doesn't add any markup to any of my AFternic names and I track them diligently.

SOme AFternic FT partners do add a mark-up and namecheap offers a discount.

But on Godaddy it is the same Price for all my names. Maybe you listed them on godaddy separately?
I've checked more carefully the issue and it turns out that the GD "mark-up" is the VAT applied to EU customers. So in reality no mark-up but just taxes as I've pointed out here:
Just checked again with one of my domains and actually there is a markup.

Edit: Same price from the US. Different prices are due to VAT, in fact the "markup" is exactly equal to VAT tax rate in my country.
I'm sorry for have stated a wrong information and to have created some confusion on this.

Last edited:
•••
Not sure what I want to do with BrandBucket lol
Me too, but recently I've received an email from BB that makes me thinking that now they accept listing on Afternic.
I've sent an email to them to have clarified it but still haven't received any reply.

If they allow AN listing I will be happy to list way more names there.

Last edited:
•••
Me too, but recently I've received an email from BB that makes me thinking that now they accept listing on Afternic.
I've sent an email to them to have clarified it but still haven't received any reply.

If they allow AN listing I will be happy to list way more names there.
Yes, they now allow BB listing. You can download the excel directly from BB and submit to Afternic. I am also hoping for a magic now haha

•••
Back