Dynadot

What do you look for in a hosting company?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

dhananizain

Account Closed
Impact
Hey every one,

I am just curious to see what you all look for and consider, when choosing a hosting company.

What features, extras do you find most useful in a hosting company?

Looking forward to hearing you responses?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
there are 2 most vital factors that you should never overlook while choosing a company...
1)Great technical support 2) Promised uptime and 3) offcourse the price

there are 2: 1) 2) 3) LOL

Price is not the most important while you are looking for quality web hosting service

•••
I think the number one important factor to look for in a hosting company is great support. Nothing else really matters if you have problems with your site and the service is slow to respond and fixing your problem. Make sure the support is readily available and has a fast response before you purchase a hosting plan.

•••
it should be cheap,should have gr8 service,good support

•••
The most important things to look for is quality of service and availability of the hosting provider. The other equally important features of a good hosting provider that can be consider are security, backup services, server monitoring, spam filtering and 99.9% server uptime guarantee. Good host will provide 24/7 customer support. Will have hosting plans that are flexible that customer can upgrade/downgrade according to his requirements and with add on option available. Hosting plans should include most of the hosting features.

•••
I look for good support 24/7.

•••
The most important factors are reliability, uptime, customer support, features and reasonable prices.

•••
if we talking about shared hosting here, the most important things are:
1) how fast is it or will be in couple of months/years when they add more accounts to the same server
2) how much of Unlimited use of resources do they actually allow (mostly CPU and RAM to run your mysql queries and such) before telling you "your sites/visitors are to demanding to run on our shared server" (even although their offer says unlimited sites/traffic)

you don't really need 24/7 support replies unless there is an issue with a server affecting 1000's of other customers like you and tehy are not bothering fixing it in a timely manner - i rather prefer them to run it in such a way that there are no issues at all or to they would be on top of every problem as it arrises

•••
When you hunt for a hosting provider I believe you need to keep these key things in mind:
1. Good customer support
2. Uptime
3.Bandwidth
4.Programming services
5.Disk space
6.price

•••
The are some good factors listed above. However, I look for an important factor that may not have been mentioned as yet - tenure.

Hosting is a very competitive business and unless a hosting service is really good, there are less chances of it being still in business. Another reason is that the longer that a company has been around and has consistently good feedback, the better it is. Shoddy service does tend to show up somewhere during the tenure of a company and if you see too many pieces of negative feedback you should not opt for it.

I generally tend to prefer hosting services that have been around for at least 4-5 years if not more. The ones(and there are a few) who have been around since the early years of the last decade are well established and are consistent with good service.

•••
Yeah, a good host could help your site a lot. Before you decide on a package from a hosting provider, you need to know which type of hosting best suits your needs.

Shared servers are very affordable, but they can prove problematic when other sites on the server eat up system resources and impact your domain's performance.

Dedicated servers eliminate shared server issues by allocating all of the system resources to your domain, but you'll pay a pretty penny for the exclusivity.

Virtual servers fall somewhere between shared and dedicated; multiple domains can exist on a virtual server, but they operate in a dedicated server-like fashion. You can try a cloud hosting service too, but keep your eyes open as security issues arise from time to time http://www.mobileprivacysource.com/cloud-storage-security-issues-can-affect-mobile-users/

•••
Read through the plan you have selected and write down on a piece of paper what they are offering you. Do you understand everything? If not find out what it means because you don’t want to sign up for 1 year and then figure out that there is a difference between addon domains and parked domains.

•••
I look for sincerity, positive reviews, due diligence, features and flexibility.

I don't care if the host is one guy and a server... I want the hosting business to be upfront... you know, do they own the datacentre, do they have a cage, do they co-locate their own servers or are they resellers. Always good to know whether the host buys new equipment, leases or using old cycled equipment (i.e. retired after 3 years of 247 enterprise usage). I don't want a host using the "cloud" term when all it is redundant power supplies (try buying a rack unit server with a standard ATX PSU! OR 2u/4u servers with just one PSU) or RAID configuration.

I have to admit I normally search for reviews in regards to whether a host is recommendable. I don't want the fantasists that create problems just so they can write on a blog how they fixed the issues within an hour. I don't care for good support either... nothing should go wrong; maybe the support is polite, helpful and fast but being able to have control directly via a control panel is much better than just having to open a support ticket for every little thing.

I always do due diligence... who host their server (their website in particular)? where is it located? Its not unusual for their main website to be hosted elsewhere to their clients, with small hosting companies. If its a UK limited company, I check to see their financial situation, CCJs etc

Features are important, what type of control panel (if any), try of VPS, port speed, installation etc. I recently cancelled some hosting... clearly said one-click install wordpress from the control panel, pretty proudly! Don't get me wrong, its not too difficult downloading wordpress, setting up the database, uploading the files to the server and doing a manual install... but if your host is selling you a package for wordpress but the scriptlicious (?) software has every blog software imaginable other than wordpress... there is surely more issues down the road with the hosting.

I like flexible payments... preferably paypal, monthly payment option (why get locked in for a year or two, rather not get the 2 months free) and money back guarantee where possible. Sometimes you can only find out how good a host is by actually using them. Bigger hosts suffer usually by having a couple of servers with constant issues whereas the rest typically work fine... just depends which server you end up on.

Also... Not cheeky beggars like Heart Internet that take payment before your order has gone to checkout if you add your card details to your account whilst a hosting package is in your basket! I changed my mind due to escalating costs... so didn't go through checkout (despite creating an account in advance), was surprised when I checked bank statement! They did email me begging to continue the transaction, just in case I forgot, or something. Not good.

•••
Quick support with better discount

•••
Customers' safety should be the main goal for any web hosting provider. Choose a host that is easy to speak with.

•••
How long has the host been around, it’s beneficial if they have been established for some time, but this doesn’t mean rule out the really new ones but if you are going to choose a newish hoster, ask your self how are you going to feel if your site just disappears and you have no chance of getting it back?

•••
If you do your research before beginning business, you will find a better avenue to the successful hosting, and thereby promotion, of your online business. Take your time in making this important decision.

•••
Web Hosting cannot be taken lightly, for Web Hosting you should keep some points in mind while choosing a hosting provider.
1. The amount of storage and bandwidth: - While choosing a web hosting your first concern will be how much storage they are providing? Some of the companies always provide unlimited storage. Means for them unlimited always means unlimited. In their CPU usage, the limitation of the storage of files and the limitation of bandwidth are hundreds and thousands.
2. Domains: - If you are having one website so it's a good chance to host your site with multiple domains. so make sure that your host provider lend you multiple domains.
3. Technical Support: - This point is the important point as you should know about your host provider that what thing your host providers are providing you at the time of tech. support. Can you make a call? At what time you can call them? Are they available 24/7? At how much time they are responding? Can you do an online chat with them? Never go for that host until you can trust their support. This makes you happy.

4. Uptime: - I am sure that you are quite aware for this point because there is no use of your website if people are not able to find it. So the uptime must be 99.9%.
I was also new at one time and I was also posting questions same as you did. So, at that time someone recommends me these points and after these points I searched for the hosting company. I found IX Web Hosting organization which are reliable and trustable. And now I am also using their plans and I am very happy with their services and plans. If anyone is interested then you can go through their hosting plans.

•••
For me the most important factors are great technical support and price because these are the factors which makes a hosting service provider superior then the others. I use Bigrock India because they provide great technical support and the price is very affordable.

•••
I am using Bluehost and i am very happy with their service and their customer support is great .

•••
Here are the things you should look into a web hosting company -
  • Server Speed
  • Server Uptime
  • Frequency of Backup
  • Support System and Contact Methods
  • Level of Security
  • Price

•••
A lot of people in here mentioning certain hosts, etc, etc. NO web hosting company has a spotless record when it comes to support and just because one person had a good experience doesn't mean the next person will. Sorry but one shoe doesn't fit all.

You need a web host that can provide not just solid support but can support the platform you are using. Some people in here mentioning Siteground, however, again one shoe doesn't fit all so while you might like them because you host a WordPress website they would totally fail for a Magento website user because their platform is not optimized for the Magento platform and while someone might comment but I have Magento installed on their hosting trust me I developed under the Magento platform for over 10 years Siteground would be the last choice for hosting the Magento platform it just doesn't meet the requirements. There is a web host that was designed for Magento and it outperforms Siteground by miles so it's vital that you do research and not just go off what other people suggest because hey I have them and I like them so they will work for you too because the bottom line is they just might not and then you wasted your valuable time and money. What good is support if the hosting isn't optimized for your platform?!?

Also, pay attention to the server specs. Lots of hosts brag about cutting-edge technology and they don't seem to be using it?!?

You also would want serverside caching as well as Opcode, Redis, or Memcached, Brotli compression, and a good CDN service included.

Last edited:
•••
For me Uptime and Speed, Support and Price. Would also prefer a cpanel host.

Would that be website uptime, server uptime, or network uptime?!? You do realize that there is a difference between these three uptimes right?

•••
Back