Dynadot

What is wrong with Expireddomains.net

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

topdom

Top Member
Impact
A free service jealous of some of its users (who don't abuse the system at all) and blocking such users (if any). Not a surprise. But then shut it down, or make it a paid service. Also totally ignorant..so, obviously this is an intentional action,.. he can't say, you caught a domain I was planning to handregister myself.

I may build my own service. What do I need to know. Some API stuff needed, but what the hell are they.

ok: it may theoretically be the case that my user data may have been stolen and then abused, but probably this is not the case.

this thing happened often in school, I was uncomparably better than others,.. so I was harrassed with total nonsense even by teachers.

This should be a fair game.. Ok thanks for free service until recently, but in some sense this is not fair. you can keep it free for others still I'm willing to pay 100 usd per year. I can build a better service, but it would cost me time.

I know silence is not a good sign.

maybe time to quit completely. not worth the time despite some small profit.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No offense, but what the hell are you trying to say?

•••
•••
Creating a free service.. and then how does he make money, probably by referrals, and some users may not be clicking those referrals, and instead competing with the site owner in handregging recent drops. Then disable such accounts which seem to be not bringing referral income and instead compete in registering.
Something is wrong,.. something is missing: consistency (integrity?). Ok, it is your service, you can do anything, but not a good method, because you are pretending you are offering this service to all equally, while you are handselecting a few and disabling their accounts without a defendable excuse.

This is lke, I use a gmail account, and because I didn't click any ads for 10 years, Google bans my account without any excuse, and instead shows me a link which points to a page showing why my account might have been closed (and actual reason is not included), and when I contact their customer service, they just ignore.

Last edited:
•••
My brain didn't process that, but it sounds like you're going to do something ...great

•••
PM me when you offer a free service that beats expireddomains.
Well.... the only way to improve it is to share your affiliate commissions with the buyers :xf.cool:

•••
If I understand you correctly, you are saying

'The owner of expireddomains.net offering a free service doesn't come with a genuine intention because you believed he could have probably selected and kept the best of the expired names to himself and releasing the 'chaff' to you(the public). You believe this is why he has made it free to the public.'

Speak for yourself though, If one thing, the owner of has not been appreciated enough.

Last edited:
•••

'The owner of expireddomains.net offering a free service doesn't come with a genuine intention because you believed he could have probably selected and kept the best of the expired names to himself and releasing the 'chaff' to you(the public). You believe this is why he has made it free to the public.'

Speak for yourself though, If one thing, the owner of has not been appreciated enough.
True! He could easily charge $10 per month and he would have thousands of sign-ups in no time.

•••

This could have happened as well, but I'm not complaining about it. I wouldn't complain about it either.

Last edited:
•••
True! He could easily charge $10 per month and he would have thousands of sign-ups in no time.

Yes, and he still may have to stop spammy searches (if any), and he can add a bandwidth limit.. for example, 1M domains searched, 50 displayed at top, count this as 50M (multiplying) units . Allow 100B computational units like this per day per user. Or make the site slow for free users, fast for paid ones. etc.

I suspect this might be an organised thing. For example Afternic blocked logins for some users by redesigning its login page, and has no intention of fixing it, and they pretend it is our fault that it doesn't work.

Last edited:
•••
1000's of signups? You could barely get a domainer to join for free let alone get a dollar out of them. He knows this business, domainers would rather search a notepad file using edit find to find domains than to pay 10 cents to someone with a good service.

I think the OP or someone using his account got caught scraping.

•••
worst thread ever. expireddomains is the most useful site in the entire industry & you should be grateful it's free. proper dunning-kruger vibes here, best of luck with your project.

•••
worst thread ever. expireddomains is the most useful site in the entire industry & you should be grateful it's free. proper dunning-kruger vibes here, best of luck with your project.

I'm not grateful anymore because it doesn't work.. this is the whole point. A few selected people may have been disabled just because they are good at using it.

Last edited:
•••
I'm not grateful anymore because it doesn't work.. this is the whole point. A few selected people may have been disabled just because they are good at using it.

As usual another nonsense thread from you

Last edited:
•••
@topdom,
the problem with this thread, which leads to people getting confused, is that you are being vague about everything you say.

Be specific: what you see as being the problem? what proof do you have? saying, eg. "...blocking some users (if any)" makes absolutely no sense at all.

Remember, the community wants things to be transparent. If you are aware of a problem that potentially can affect our performance with ExpiredDomains just be clear about it and explain it in a way we can understand.

Thanks

•••
•••
Disabling an account for unknown reason. And total ignorance. Probably because of competition. Competing with own user.. then the solution should not be banning an account.. Ban all accounts or ban none.

•••
this thing happened often in school, I was uncomparably better than others,.. so I was harrassed with total nonsense even by teachers.

:xf.laugh:

•••
1000's of signups? You could barely get a domainer to join for free let alone get a dollar out of them. He knows this business, domainers would rather search a notepad file using edit find to find domains than to pay 10 cents to someone with a good service.

I think the OP or someone using his account got caught scraping.

Domainers are cheap, but some are willing to pay for tools to make their work for efficient.

I would pay $10 for sure, but I doubt thousands would though.

Brad

•••

They are jealous you are too good at using their tool...How would that even make any sense?

Brad

•••
Seems to be working. What a lot of people ignore is that these sites cost money to run. If they are free then they can choose who to allow and who to block. Though the OP may not have been scraping the site, free websites do have problems with scrapers.

Regards...jmcc

•••
They are jealous you are too good at using their tool...How would that even make any sense?

Brad

Doesn't make sense, but there is no better explanation.

•••
Doesn't make sense, but there is no better explanation.

Is that how it works? If there is no reasonable explanation you can just make anything up.

It is probably aliens, or 5g, or the illuminati then.

I think the odds are you were doing something to get banned like scraping.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
I may build my own service. What do I need to know. Some API stuff needed, but what the hell are they.
The obvious question is: what is your skillset?

Just on the legacy gTLDs, that's about a 6GB download a day for the zonefiles. These would decompress to about 30GB of raw data. Sometimes there's a glitch and the zonefiles don't update so that's an error condition that has to be in dealt with. Getting the zonefiles into a database format is easy enough. If it is just slicing domain names, it is even easier still. What expiredomains.net has and you do not have is historical data. Having today's zonefiles means nothing if you don't have that historical data. You might be able to identify holding/expired nameservers but that's about it.

Then there's the whole database side of things. That comes before a front end can be developed. Do you have any understanding of databases, indexing and high performance database work? Can you tweak a database to run well under load and also work out a daily update schedule?

That's just the TLDs where the zonefile is available. Tracking domain names where the zonefile is not available involves more design work and coding. Some registries publish drop lists but many do not. Those domain names in the lists have to be tracked and checked. That may involve tracking a large number of domain names each day.

Many of the domain names in the gTLDs no longer go through the Pending Delete phase and instead go right to the registrar's auction site or auction partner.

Still think that you may build your own service?

Regards...jmcc

•••
Back