IT.COM

poll What percentage of your sold domains actually got utilized?

NameSilo
Watch

What percentage of your sold domains actually got utilized?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • <30%

votes
    60.7%
  • 30 - 50%

votes
    7.1%
  • 50 - 75%

votes
    17.9%
  • 75%+

votes
    14.3%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
I usually see that my domain sales end up with the buyer not utilizing it that often. I consider this sort of acquisition as defensive acquisition where the buyer may be trying to keep the domain off the hands of a competitor. What percentage of your domain sales, in general end up getting utilized?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Define "utilized". Outside a website, there are multiple other potential uses like forwarding, email, blocking competition, investment, and others.

Brad

•••

Last edited:
•••
Define "utilized". Outside a website, there are multiple other potential uses like forwarding, email, blocking competition, investment, and others.

Brad
New website or being forwarded to an existing site.

•••
•••
Zero, in terms of building a website, which is somewhat disappointing. @bmugford is right about other uses. Perhaps the new registrant wanted a defensive registration against current or potential competitors. Or maybe they are quietly building something behind the scenes on a temporary beta mode sub-domain. Or maybe they are using the domain name just for a cool sounding e-mail address. Could be they just want to dominate a keyword until they can afford the dot com then forward all not dot com registrations of that keyword to the dot com version. Could be a number of things. Good question @abstractdomainer and I think you might add a list of what " utilized " could mean, including the ideas @bmugford mentioned.

Last edited:
•••
Back