IT.COM

question What would you look for in a new hosting plan and service provider?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
First of all, my apologies, if this is not the correct forum. I didn't feel the Web Hosting Marketplace was the right place since I'm not buying or selling but rather doing research and don't want to be solicited by web hosting companies. With that said, It's been 15 years since I've researched hosting plans and companies so I could use some input on what to look for today given my current usage and needs. Other than the server reliability and usage specifics, top quality 24/7 live tech support is essential and user forums, would be very helpful. Please take a look at my current usage and plan and let me know your thoughts on what you'd look for in a hosting plan and service provider, moving forward. Thanks!

Current # of Domains:
40+ (Non-adult & adult)

Current Usage:
Disk Space
Total = 6.0 GB
Used = 5.1 GB
Available = 899.6 MB
Overusage = 0.0 B (*)
* Overusage is allowed up to 95.0 GB

Traffic statistics
Date Incoming Outgoing Combined
2015-11 306.45MB 1.30GB 1.60GB
2015-12 338.22MB 1.41GB 1.74GB
2016-01 469.21MB 1.55GB 2.01GB

Current Plan:
Fully managed VPS solution includes:
Operating System + Control Panel = Fedora Core 1. p9. CentOSS + PHCP
Equal share CPU
256MB Burst RAM
5GB RAID1 Storage
Root Access
2 IP Addresses*
128MB RAM guaranteed
200GB Monthly Transfer
Hardware: DELL PowerEdge
Dual 3.06Ghz Processors
8-16GB Ram Per server

* Unlimited IPs
Each Managed VPS solution comes with unlimited IPs. IPs are included free for each domain that is registered with us or transferred to us and only cost $1.00 per month for domains provided by other registrars.

* 24/7 Fully Managed Engineering Support
* High Performance Dell hardware (dual Xeon 3.0 with 8-16GB of RAM)
* Full root / Administrator access
* Your own IP addresses, port numbers, tables, filtering and routing rules
* Your own configuration files for the system and app software
* Your own versions of system libraries or modify existing ones
* Ability to delete, add, modify any file, including files in /root, and install its own application software or custom configure/modify root application software

Bandwidth overages only .25 cents/mo per GB over included plan. Additional Hard drive space is $3.00/mo per GB over included plan.

Fully managed VPS solutions are never oversold. This outline indicates the number of VPS plans placed on each server by plan.
PLAN NUMBER ON SERVER
Starter 60

TOTAL PRICE: $25.00/mo., $150.00/6mo., or $300.00/yr

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nothing is more important than having a 24×7 operating web host. You need a web host is operating on a powerful server and stable network connections. 99.5% and above is the recommended uptime score; anything below 99% is unacceptable.

•••
Thanks!
I don't typically like to put all my eggs in one basket but what's the thinking on hosting domains/sites with the same co that is your domain name registrar?

•••
Identify these before selecting the web host -
  • Backup Services
  • Speed and Performance
  • Security
  • 24/7 Customer Support
  • Free Server Setup
  • RAM, Storage, and Bandwidth

•••
Actually what you need to identify with first are your websites. I noticed you have adult websites and a lot of popular (good) web hosts do not allow adult websites on their servers even on VPS and dedicated so I think that is going to narrow things down a bit for you right there. I'd say look for a few hosts that allows adult content then start with comparing who has the better offering. Nothing worse than missing that fine print and having your account terminated for abusing the AUP and TOS.

•••
Back