Dynadot

discuss When You Should Develop a Domain Name?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Seventy

Established Member
Impact
HI Namepros members,

I am very curious when you decide to instead of holding, selling, brokering your domain(s) to actually develop the domain yourself.

Not long ago started a few projects myself which obviously require more more investments in the project but for me, one domain that did it was stopdrinking.com (excuses if this comes off as promotion, not meant to be)

But at some point and I believe with two keyword domains such as the one above which WAY would you go…

Picked this domain up from a GD auction and as someone that has a lot of experience with alcoholism I wanted to turn it into a project for myself, still beginning staged but it’s looking real well.

Turned down a few offers on the domain but it’s now 8+ months and kept going, hired a great agency to get things going.

Enough “self promotion”, would love to know how much people bought domains and had to decide between a good profit or taking the risk, time and what comes with it to build your own project on the name.

Some of you got stunning domains, what is holding you back to build a amazing project of your own…

OR are domains just temporary real-estate for you? BUY_SELL_PROFIT

Would love to hear some similar stories

Thank you,
M

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Here's an example. I just ate an entire pot of crunchy peanut butter and drank 8 shots of vodka. All in the space of one hour. So there's no way I can be taken seriously when I say that I'm trying to be healthy and get fit. You shouldn't be taken seriously as a domain name investor if you don't take active steps to make a profit. I could be wrong @lock.
I am a hoarder i have a day job.

•••
I think that many domainers consider developing their domains, well at least some of them, but then give up after researching the market a little but especially when they consider the amount of work involved in developing a 'good' website and then maintaining it.

When I first acquired the domain name in my avatar and signature I did indeed visualise building a website for it - but quickly realised that being from the UK and that my 'from TV and film only' knowledge of LA would in no way suffice for me to produce a good website on the domain name. So I looked around and became interested in affiliate marketing as a source of income and that there were a substantial number of affiliate marketers already, so I researched that area.

BUT.........

.......... again I realised that my lack of real knowledge concerning LA would be a great disadvantage, so I hit the same wall again.

So given that I realised my personal limitations I made the decision to instead of developing the domain myself I would look for an affiliate marketer who could and would be interested in developing the site on a partnership basis - this is another avenue to consider for others as well I would suggest. I am attending the Affiliate Gathering convention in York (England) in May so as to hopefully get some introductions and contacts in this sphere and of course learn even more about affiliate marketing itself. (One thing I have found funny, well as a domainer I have found it funny, is the total lack of understanding of many affiliate marketers as to the value domains sell for in the domain aftermarket, when I explain to them the values from the lowest values to the highest values and show them proof of such sales they are often left speechless. :xf.laugh: )

(Please, please, please note this - I am after someone who has a good knowledge of LA and southern California so I am NOT looking for someone who is essentially in the same boat as I am. In other words please do not spam me with offers to develop my site - unless of course you are really an affiliate marketer who has a great knowledge of LA. :xf.smile: )

•••
I think that many domainers consider developing their domains, well at least some of them, but then give up after researching the market a little but especially when they consider the amount of work involved in developing a 'good' website and then maintaining it.

When I first acquired the domain name in my avatar and signature I did indeed visualise building a website for it - but quickly realised that being from the UK and that my 'from TV and film only' knowledge of LA would in no way suffice for me to produce a good website on the domain name. So I looked around and became interested in affiliate marketing as a source of income and that there were a substantial number of affiliate marketers already, so I researched that area.

BUT.........

.......... again I realised that my lack of real knowledge concerning LA would be a great disadvantage, so I hit the same wall again.

So given that I realised my personal limitations I made the decision to instead of developing the domain myself I would look for an affiliate marketer who could and would be interested in developing the site on a partnership basis - this is another avenue to consider for others as well I would suggest. I am attending the Affiliate Gathering convention in York (England) in May so as to hopefully get some introductions and contacts in this sphere and of course learn even more about affiliate marketing itself. (One thing I have found funny, well as a domainer I have found it funny, is the total lack of understanding of many affiliate marketers as to the value domains sell for in the domain aftermarket, when I explain to them the values from the lowest values to the highest values and show them proof of such sales they are often left speechless. :xf.laugh: )

(Please, please, please note this - I am after someone who has a good knowledge of LA and southern California so I am NOT looking for someone who is essentially in the same boat as I am. In other words please do not spam me with offers to develop my site - unless of course you are really an affiliate marketer who has a great knowledge of LA. :xf.smile: )
Great experience that represents the reality very good, thanks for sharing. Btw, I´ve a not that great but a quite good .la too, I´ve no chance to exploit it other than to sell. Have faith in your name, it´s a very great one, good luck!

•••
if you develop every name are you a domainer? Probably not. Web developer now webmaster domains are just what you name each project.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back